REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Music & Clubbing (https://www.revscene.net/forums/music-clubbing_31/)
-   -   Places to buy acoustic guitars? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/640124-places-buy-acoustic-guitars.html)

xeryusx 03-15-2011 03:12 AM

Places to buy acoustic guitars?

Been thinking about starting up guitar again. Looking to buy a new guitar, under $1000 preferably, from places other than Long & McQuade, etc. Maybe a Martin D-1? Anybody recommend any? Thanks!

iam_dan 03-15-2011 08:48 AM

is there a particular reason you dont like long & mcquade?
did you try tom lee music?

you should check out Larrivee. they make some amazing quality guitars. (BC made, too)
i think in your price range, the D-03 is a good choice. make a quick phone call to tomleemusic to see if they have it in stock for you to try out or something.

Farfetched 03-15-2011 10:10 AM

i recommend buying used. best bang for you buck. yeah what's the reason behind not liking l and m?

PJ 03-15-2011 12:00 PM

Long&Mcquade, Tom Lee.. There's a reason they're as big as they are.. They get the guitars for cheaper, which then the savings get passed on to you.

Those little independent stores will be more expensive, and most of them won't carry Martins anyway.

And your guitar's really up to personal preference, budget and skill level..

I personally rather pay the extra money for new, though I've bought a couple used guitars before.
Buying new, you don't have to deal with loose, crooked, or warped hardware, neck, bridge, etc.

wix 03-15-2011 01:33 PM

When you buy Martin guitars, you're usually paying for the brand name. The materials used on the sub-$2000 guitars are not that good.

I suggest getting a Blueridge guitar, their guitars are very similar to Martin in terms of style. But the materials used are much higher quality.

This is my fave, http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/det...roductID=BR-63

Another guitar I suggest is the Martin 000M Auditorium, Yamaha APX 500 (in Natural)

Don't buy acoustic guitars with black or coloured paint over them, as they can use blemished, bad quality wood and you wouldn't know because of the paint.

My taste for acoustic guitars are normally the ones with a slightly smaller body, and it's more curved-in, at the middle. I think it looks a lot nicer, and looks better when you're wearing it standing up.

So if you suck... at least you look good. What uppp! :)

http://cbswtic.files.wordpress.com/2...jm11.jpg?w=600

xeryusx 03-15-2011 01:36 PM

There's really no particular reason. I thought that maybe the little stores would have cheaper products. @impulse- that's exactly what I was thinking but I thought maybe I'd ask first if there were any other stores besides the obvious two. To L&M I go! Thanks!
Posted via RS Mobile

PJ 03-15-2011 01:39 PM

^I wish I could afford Mayer's signature Martin.. :cry:

But yeah I agree with what you're saying about how Martin is all about the brand name. The quality of woods used can only get so high before the breaking point of just paying for the name/signature.

Honestly the only acoustic guitars I think that are actually worth it in terms of quality and bang for your buck, are Morgan and Larivee. Seagull and Art&Lutherie aren't bad either. Don't even bother with acoustic Gibsons and Fenders.

Don't even get me started on electrics.

wix 03-15-2011 01:41 PM

Yeah, Larivee is awesome as well.

Personally, from watching all the Youtubers like Taylor Ward, etc.

I'm beginning to like Taylor guitars.

Here's a decently priced one that I was planning on buying: http://www.music123.com/Guitars/Acou...5000010000.sku

xeryusx 03-15-2011 01:41 PM

@wix- my phone net sucks, can't access that site you posted. Are they within my price range? I've been playing guitar all my life but, to be honest, this is my first time buying a brand name guitar that's over $300 lol. So I have absolutely no idea what model to look for. I only know that if it sounds good then its mine. Looking for ones that would sound nice when I play JM, Gabe Bondoc etc songs
Posted via RS Mobile

wix 03-15-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xeryusx (Post 7345414)
@wix- my phone net sucks, can't access that site you posted. Are they within my price range? I've been playing guitar all my life but, to be honest, this is my first time buying a brand name guitar that's over $300 lol. So I have absolutely no idea what model to look for. I only know that if it sounds good then its mine. Looking for ones that would sound nice when I play JM, Gabe Bondoc etc songs
Posted via RS Mobile

I play JM as well. And all the guitars guitars I posted are the "Cheaper" versions of his guitar. The Martin 000M is the low-budget version of his signature guitar lol. Same construction and body, but cheaper wood.

The Yamaha APX500 is a budget guitar probably around $300-400. The Martin is about $800-900.

I highly suggest buying Blueridge, if you don't mind shipping it to WA state and picking it up. You can get a $1500-2000 sounding guitar, for $700-900.

PJ 03-15-2011 01:58 PM

^Oh yeah Taylors are great too. I knew there was one I was forgetting.

That Martin 000M is tempting.

wix 03-15-2011 05:37 PM

The Martin 000M was my dream acoustic guitar a few years back, I should've bought it since it used to be $799.99 at Long & McQuade. They look and feel so nice, and sound awesome with elixirs.

jing 03-15-2011 05:45 PM

I'm quite happy with my Takamine. JDM yo
Posted via RS Mobile

xeryusx 03-15-2011 06:52 PM

Elixirs! That's what I needed to know! These are the steel strings that feel like nylons right?
Posted via RS Mobile

wix 03-15-2011 07:08 PM

^ Yeah, they're super smooth and buttery. Love them.

http://www.music123.com/product/Nano...101570.product

I use these, they make a $60 guitar sound like a $1000 guitar lol. If you get it at L&M, they string it for you free of charge.

xeryusx 03-15-2011 07:21 PM

Info greatly appreciated wix. Come thursday, I'll post my new guitar...if I ever decide which one to get :P
Posted via RS Mobile

woob 03-15-2011 09:53 PM

Seriously, head into your nearest Tom Lee or L&M and try the guitars out and see which you like best. Each guitar manufacturer has its own "house sound", i.e. sound characteristics that all their guitars share. Also, certain guitars will make certain chord voicings sound better than others, so pick a guitar that sounds best with what you play the most. If you like the warmer, deeper tones, look for a dreadnought shape. If you like a brighter, more treble-y sound, find an orchestral-style guitar (a la John Mayer signature). The neck width and radius will factor into hand fatigue so you have to definitely try a guitar in person to see how it feels in your hand.

I'll agree that cheaper Martins are not very good. The < $600 Martins don't even have a full wood body, using a laminate for the sides and back instead. Not worth the price tag.

Currently playing a cheaper Yamaha, my dad plays an older, far more expensive Martin.

EDIT: I looked it up and any Martin with X in the model name does NOT have a full solid wood construction.

xeryusx 03-18-2011 02:30 AM

http://www.long-mcquade.com/files/5251/lg_DCX1E_f.jpg Martin DCX1E
We have a winner!

It came down to this, D-15 & a Taylor DN3 but I'm very glad I came out with this one.

The sound just blew the more $$ Taylor away and is probably on par with the D-15. Even better with the Elixirs on.

wix 03-18-2011 02:41 AM

Very nice! I see you're not a fan of the 000 body shape, which is a shame, cause that's my fave :(

I'm going to get a new acoustic once I finish school this April :D

xeryusx 03-18-2011 03:28 AM

Actually, I tried the 000-15M initially but with the sound difference being very minimal, $300 is a hell of a way up lol. It would've been my first choice if I perform for crowds and shit but thankfully, I do not :)
Posted via RS Mobile