REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
I am grateful grapefruit

possible dying battery?

I have a '97 Acura Integra GSR. Over the past few months - I had this happen to me twice, where I would unlock my car with my alarm - put the key in, and the car just goes dead. Literally - no lights on, no power whatsoever. I would give it a few minutes, and then it would come back on no problem - but I noticed the clock and radio presets have been reset - so obviously power was gone to everything.

Last night - I get into my car, no problems starting up - but I noticed again the clock and radio presets were all reset - so it must've lost power some time before I got in.

Does anybody know if this is a sign of my battery dying? I bought the car second-hand off my friend - In the 4 years I've had the car, the battery has never been changed - but I have to check with my friend if he has ever changed it.

Thanks for any help
Advertisement
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
There are several variables in this situation.

1. The battery is dead/cannot hold a charge anymore.
2. The alternator is no longer charging the battery.
3. There is some kind of parasitic drain (unlikely based on description but not to be ruled out.)

Best way to find out is to bring your car to a shop and have it load tested. You can narrow down the issues a lot faster this way rather than troubleshoot based on process of elimination. I'm certain that I'm missing several pieces of the puzzle here so perhaps some professionals can chime in on this. Good luck!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
I am grateful grapefruit

Thanks. I guess I better start carrying jump cables with me.

Just gotta find a place close to work I guess...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Or get a jumper pack. Canadian tire had some on sale for $50. Then again, a used battery from an auto recycler runs about $35+taxes+enviro fees.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksport View Post
Or get a jumper pack. Canadian tire had some on sale for $50. Then again, a used battery from an auto recycler runs about $35+taxes+enviro fees.
you don't think it's worth it to get a new battery?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
you don't think it's worth it to get a new battery?
Well a new battery runs about $130 with taxes and fees. A used battery has at least 4 months warranty. Some of the batteries I bought from the wreckers were only a few months old, just gotta pick and choose. Yours lasted 4 years it seems.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

does your car make any noises when you try to start? i had a similar issue with my last civic and after replacing my starter i was good to go...maybe try out a starter? i got mine for $15 so it was a cheap attempt at fixing...is you battery old?
lilzed747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
It's best to take your car in to a shop for a load test as soon as you can. It takes several minutes and most shops do them for free, if not, a few bucks. The last thing you want is for your alternator to over-work itself into keeping a dead battery alive.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

if the battery is dead and none of the lights come on/radio resets etc but then after a bit the lights come back on etc then its possible a battery terminal is loose or really corroded. loose terminals create a large voltage drop, when you try to start the car theres a demand for lots of amps which can't pass through the loose terminal. sorrry if this doesn't make sense, i'm having a hard time explaining stuff! long day.
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

That could be 100% be your problem, same problem on my car. Put in some new terminals and voila, instant crank shouldn't be more than $12 at your local Lordco
nkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Yup, if when the car actually cranks and starts it does so at a normal speed (not lugging/cranking slow), it's more than likely a connection issue. The battery obviously has enough juice to start the car, it's just not "connected" 100% of the time.

Give the terminals a good twist and tug on the cables. Also inspect the bare wires for corrosion.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
I am grateful grapefruit

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check it at lunch.

I've never encountered times when my car was actually HARD to start - like struggling to start - except when I'm really low on gas, it usually takes a second longer to start up.

I'll probably go do a load test at a shop anyways, but it does make sense that it would be a connection issue - because my battery seems fine otherwise - I've done work on the car and left the radio on for 30 minutes 2 weeks ago and didn't have any problems.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
I am grateful grapefruit

sooooooo.....

The positive terminal just came RIGHT off - like it wasn't even tightened or something... hahaha

Tightened it on - hopefully it fixes it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!! I appreciate it!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
I am Hook'd on RS

An easy way to test whether your Alternator is ok: First loosen the Negative Terminal on battery (it should slip on and off the battery post). Start the car, it should be running when you do this next step. Disconnect the Negative by holding onto the Negative ground lead casing (hold on to the plastic wire casing, not the metal, to avoid shock).

Now you've got the Negative disconnected, tuck it out of the way. The car is still running. If the car dies in under 10 seconds, your Alternator is bad. If the car keeps running for 1-2 minutes, your Alternator is good. Shut off the car and reconnect your terminals firmly but not overtight.
mbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote