REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #26
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
The rest of your IS is blacked out... it's probably not a stretch to think that the front windows would be too. That's not profiling, that's just experience.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

what letter is it? N, what letter does my restrictions say i have to have on my car?
a N, a N is a N.

and that was why i put a b/w copy of a printed out N on my car after that.
they cannot say anything due to the fact that ICBC tells you to print it out and use it.
not my fault that its not reflective...
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300 View Post
what letter is it? N, what letter does my restrictions say i have to have on my car?
a N, a N is a N.

they cannot say anything due to the fact that ICBC tells you to print it out and use it.
not my fault that its not reflective...
Except it has to be an ICBC N that is not cut out and is in its entirety.

And as for the print out, I believe it is only a temp thing so that you can go to ICBC and get yourself a new one.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #29

Quote:
a N, a N is a N.

Quote:
http://icbc.com/driver-licensing/get...ensing/ln-sign

Quote:
Lost your L or N sign?
Here's what to do about it:
Print a temporary L or N sign (in colour only, not black-and-white).

Display this sign on your vehicle temporarily.
As soon as possible, go to any ICBC driver licensing office for a free replacement sign.
Display the replacement sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggdis300
one officer actually rolled up my window using the driver side switches when i had gotten out to show one of the officers where my N usually was, and was there but cut out so there was about 3-4 CM of green around the black N
http://icbc.com/driver-licensing/get...ensing/ln-sign

Quote:
Fines
You could be fined if you
don't replace a missing or lost L or N sign
display a sign that's not from ICBC, or
alter the size, colour or shape of your sign.
Quote:
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

last time i had my N and went online, they had a b/w version of it with the ICBC logo and everything.

then again, i have not had my N for over 6 months, and i did not visit the site for over a year.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And what's the stop a shady manufacturer from just putting a DOT stamp on them whether they pass compliance or not?
I own a DOT branding iron but my HIDeeeeez still keep getting taken away from me.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Except it has to be an ICBC N that is not cut out and is in its entirety.

And as for the print out, I believe it is only a temp thing so that you can go to ICBC and get yourself a new one.

I still don't understand the whole N thing. If there's an N on the back of a car, what else could it possibly mean?

Yes I understand that following the restrictions and displaying an official N is an important part of being a safe, responsible driver.

I'm more worried that other drivers who are too stupid to know what an N made from green painter's tape means are on the road with me.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #33
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

what if the op remove the light bulb from the tinted fog lamps, as long as the fog lamp is not used as DRL and there is no light bulb behind those tinted lens, they can't be classified as "unauthorized lights" ...? and fog lamps are not required by law ... or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I still don't understand the whole N thing. If there's an N on the back of a car, what else could it possibly mean?

Yes I understand that following the restrictions and displaying an official N is an important part of being a safe, responsible driver.

I'm more worried that other drivers who are too stupid to know what an N made from green painter's tape means are on the road with me.
The N signs are designed so that they're reflective and easily visible. I've seen drivers cut out the entire green part off - so you're stuck with a black N - which they stick on a black car. Not exactly the point of it.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

How hard is it to stick a free magnetic sign on the back of your car and leave it there?

If new driver's can't even follow that simple rule then would anyone expect them to follow the rest of the rules of the road?
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #36
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
How hard is it to stick a free magnetic sign on the back of your car and leave it there?

If new driver's can't even follow that simple rule then would anyone expect them to follow the rest of the rules of the road?
Right.. not putting your N up means you're going to run every red light in the city..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I had my N for 1 year when they first came out... I put it on the inside of my back window and never took it off. When I got my class 5 - I gave it to someone else as a backup. Never once was it stolen or did I get pulled over for not having it displayed.

I don't see why so many people have problems with such a simple rule. However if so many people are, I can only imagine the problems they have with coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or putting their turn signal on when changing lanes.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #38
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatune View Post
I don't see why so many people have problems with such a simple rule. However if so many people are, I can only imagine the problems they have with coming to a complete stop at a stop sign or putting their turn signal on when changing lanes.
If you're saying people who don't put up their N (or had it stolen) have trouble coming to a full stop at stop signs, you might as well be saying people who roll through stop signs run red lights - and I don't think that happens very often.

So, how exactly does not putting up an official N sign correlate with people running red lights?

Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #39

You are really, unbelievably tiresome. Please, mods, can we have a FAIL button this forum?
Quote:
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #40
I subscribe to Revscene

Just because I have a point of view that differs from yours...

Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #41
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

this is becoming a bitchfest.

ever heard of the MVA?

Fog lamps

4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be

(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and

(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.

(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.

(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

You want a guaranteed pass? take the fog lamps off. they are not required by law. vehicles may or may not have them.
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #42
CRS

Quote:
Just because I have a point of view that differs from yours...
That's hardly the issue.

It has more to do with your retarded sense of logic or deduction than anything else.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2011, 08:54 AM   #43
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
That's hardly the issue.

It has more to do with your retarded sense of logic or deduction than anything else.
I find it retarded that someone could think that when someone forgets to put up their N sign (or goes to the effort to make a temporary one out of green painter's tape) it means they will forget to stop at stop signs and red lights.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #44
CRS

Quote:
I find it retarded that someone could think that when someone forgets to put up their N sign (or goes to the effort to make a temporary one out of green painter's tape) it means they will forget to stop at stop signs and red lights.
No one is saying that.

What I am saying (and I'm not speaking for anyone else) is that when someone INTENTIONALLY cuts up an ICBC N or creates a new one in lieu of the issued one, what is to say that they will follow any other rules if they cannot follow such a simple one?

I am not doubting their driving ability so much so as their mental competence. Will they forget to stop at stops signs? Probably not, but will they do a roll over, get caught and bitch and complain? You betcha.

Oh and if the officer cuts the person a break by only issuing say the failure to stop instead of doing both the Contrary to Restriction, I bet this driver will call the officer an asshole for even stopping him and giving him any tickets "when everyone does it".

It is their sense of self-righteousness or immunity that pisses everyone else off.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 03-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #45

Quote:
No one is saying that.

What I am saying (and I'm not speaking for anyone else) is that when someone INTENTIONALLY cuts up an ICBC N or creates a new one in lieu of the issued one, what is to say that they will follow any other rules if they cannot follow such a simple one?
Yes. This. It's one thing to misplace it or forget to put it on... to intentionally hack it up requires going out of one's way, and demonstrates not just an inability to respect the rules, but a conscious decision to flaunt them.

Quote:
I am not doubting their driving ability so much so as their mental competence. Will they forget to stop at stops signs? Probably not, but will they do a roll over, get caught and bitch and complain? You betcha.
Does it show that they're not able to stop for a red light? No... but it shows they have an attitude that makes them more likely to blow through it "just because they felt like it".

Quote:
Oh and if the officer cuts the person a break by only issuing say the failure to stop instead of doing both the Contrary to Restriction, I bet this driver will call the officer an asshole for even stopping him and giving him any tickets "when everyone does it".
Noooo, that NEVER happens, does it??

Quote:
It is their sense of self-righteousness or assumed immunity that pisses everyone else off.
Fixed that for you
Quote:
Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #46
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Yes. This. It's one thing to misplace it or forget to put it on... to intentionally hack it up requires going out of one's way, and demonstrates not just an inability to respect the rules, but a conscious decision to flaunt them.
That I will partly agree with, but it still doesn't mean they will break road rules that put people's safety at risk.

This is also why I don't like the N in general. To the people who hack them up and drive around in their civic with the gangster lean thing going on, the N is a almost their way of saying to everyone "I'm young, dumb and full of stupidity and I will do anything I want".

Old 03-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #47
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
i did search, newest threads were from 2 years ago. and nothing about fog lights, just headlights.
I guess since I wrote it, it's easier for me to search it out:

Illegal to obstruct lights or reflectors in any way. Tinting obstructs. $86 ticket, possibility of VI.

The ticket has gone up to $109 since then.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #48
Banned (ABWS)

so, since fog lights are OPTIONAL equipment, you would still get ticketed for tinting optional lights?

i don't like the way they look, nor do i ever use my fog lights, yet if i remove them then theres a big hole that will suck up road dirt/grim and spit it all over my engine bay...

thats pretty retarded...
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #49
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

^ exactly my point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
what if the op remove the light bulb from the tinted fog lamps, as long as the fog lamp is not used as DRL and there is no light bulb behind those tinted lens, they can't be classified as "unauthorized lights" ...? and fog lamps are not required by law ... or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #50
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
so, since fog lights are OPTIONAL equipment, you would still get ticketed for tinting optional lights?

i don't like the way they look, nor do i ever use my fog lights, yet if i remove them then theres a big hole that will suck up road dirt/grim and spit it all over my engine bay...

thats pretty retarded...
Yeah typical case of common sense vs bureaucrats saving time/complications. Obviously there is no more danger to having yellow tinted fogs vs not having fogs at all but a modification is a modification so suck it up
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote