REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #51
Banned (ABWS)

meh, ill just wait until i get my car passed....
not that big of a deal, kinda stupid but what can you do...

edit post 666 lol...
Advertisement
baggdis300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #52
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
i have a somewhat related question. did a search, couldn't find anything. but 2 things regarding foglamps (sorry for thread jacking sorta)

1) i've heard mixed stories regarding the use of foglamps. ie theyre restricted to use only when theres fog or low visibility. however the MVA states nothing of restricted usage of foglamps. what's the consensus on this? can they only be on when there's fog, rain or low vis?

2) the MVA states that foglamps can either be produce white or amber light. therefore it should be okay if you run yellow foglamps. however, i've heard of people receiving tickets for yellow fogs. consensus on this?

thanks in advance!
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #53
I am grateful grapefruit

I thought there was a law - saying if you have those giant off roading lights - that because they're illegal for on-road use - they must be covered up when you're in the city...?

Maybe this would apply to your fog lights as well..
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #54
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I thought there was a law - saying if you have those giant off roading lights - that because they're illegal for on-road use - they must be covered up when you're in the city...?

Maybe this would apply to your fog lights as well..
i'm just talking about regular foglights though, seeing as there's a different section in regards to regular foglights and "rally" foglights, the rules should be different too. i've heard mixed stories though and just wanted clarification on both the usage of the lamps, as well as the colour that they are deemed legal
Old 03-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
fogs can be on as DRL's from what i've seen on the new cars (eg. 2011 Ford fusion)

I've also had yellow fogs as DRL's for the last entire year in Richmond without any hassle but YMMV .
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #56
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
fogs can be on as DRL's from what i've seen on the new cars (eg. 2011 Ford fusion)

I've also had yellow fogs as DRL's for the last entire year in Richmond without any hassle but YMMV .
that's what i read too. however i meant running them at night with my headlights

i've heard very mixed reviews about yellow fogs. my friend has had jdm yellow fogs on his civic for a year now and has not received any hassle about it. however i have 2 other friends who have received tickets for it. i just want to know if the police were being unjust in ticketing them for yellow fogs, or if it's actually illegal
Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #57
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Just run whatever the MVA says. Amber or white light. There's no Specificed road condition or time. If you get pulled, have the MVA section regarding fogs ready. Some officers are more experienced than others when it comes to the MVA. if you tint them, don't black them out so much that you cannot see the white or amber light. The MVA does not specify anything about tinting of the fogs. At the end, it's all up to the discretion of the officer. Just familiarize yourself with the mods you have on that are borderline legal/illegal. At Least you'll have something to come back with, the officer might let you off since you're aware of the regulations not some arrogant asshole.
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #58
Retired Traffic Cop

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/search/node/fog%20lights

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #59
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
General lighting requirements
4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.

Off-road lamps
4.25 Despite section 4.04 (2) (c), a vehicle equipped with off-road lamps when on a highway must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.

In short...they must comply if you have them on a vehicle on a "highway"...and if they don't, they must have opaque covers. Because the fog lamps are permitted , they must comply and cannot be tinted.

Last edited by zulutango; 03-25-2011 at 07:57 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #60
【=◈︿◈=】

what if i'm not talking about tinting them, i'm talking about swapping yellow fogs or putting yellow overlay onto them

the MVA states that white or amber foglamps are permitted, but "amber" seems like a broad term. the corner lights in vehicles are sometimes called amber lights, but they're orange. however if you google "amber fog lights", you'll get pages upon pages of yellow fog light pictures

what gives?!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:24 AM   #61
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/amber

click on the colour page link
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #62
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
precisely, hence my question. amber is usually defined as orange. however i have NEVER seen orange fogs before, only yellow
Old 03-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #63
I subscribe to Revscene

I don't believe there is a strict specification as to the precise colour the bulb must emit.

Yellow fog-lights are normally called "Selective yellow", which is basically white light with the blue portion of the spectrum filtered out. This produces an amber-like light which is permitted in the MVA.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #64
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I don't believe there is a strict specification as to the precise colour the bulb must emit.
Yes, there is. It will be defined in the appropriate SAE standard for the lamp being considered. It will also probably need expensive lab type test equipment to verify.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #65
I subscribe to Revscene

Well they certainly don't make it easy to find.

You're telling me every single car has the identical shade of amber marker lights?

Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #66
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
That section must have been written by a woman - "amber" is one of those colors only women know, like "chartreuse" and "burgundy" and "aquamarine". To guys, it's just yellow, purple, red, or green-ish.

They should specify the colors in 256-bit hex code - "stop lights must be #FF0000, headlights must be #FFFFFF" and so on. "Windows may not be tinted darker than #222222"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #67
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
That section must have been written by a woman - "amber" is one of those colors only women know, like "chartreuse" and "burgundy" and "aquamarine". To guys, it's just yellow, purple, red, or green-ish.

They should specify the colors in 256-bit hex code - "stop lights must be #FF0000, headlights must be #FFFFFF" and so on. "Windows may not be tinted darker than #222222"
agreed, hence my confusion. people call turn signals amber, but who's ever seen foglights that are the same colour as turn signals?

well i took an above posters advice and printed out the foglamp section of the MVA and highlighted the white and amber part. gonna go ahead with the yellow fogs and hope for the best

still no answer as to when foglamps may be on and if there's any restrictions towards them being on
Old 03-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #68

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=bc+mvar+fog+lights

Gives you:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/can-f...s-t308315.html

also:

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/equipment/glaring-fog-lamps
Quote:
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #69
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
still no answer as to when foglamps may be on and if there's any restrictions towards them being on
There are no restrictions on when they can be used.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #70
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
There are no restrictions on when they can be used.
The single restriction on their use is that you may only use them in place of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #71
I subscribe to Revscene

That's correct, I should have clarified. If you have your headlights on you can run the fog lights at any time.

How does Audi get away with using the fogs as DRLs without the headlights?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:46 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
The single restriction on their use is that you may only use them in place of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.
Quote:
How does Audi get away with using the fogs as DRLs without the headlights?
Because Audi is not using them IN PLACE OF headlamps when it's using them for DRLs.

There's nothing that states DRLs MUST be headlamps - a number of vehicles use the marker lights as DRLs.
Quote:
Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #73
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Because Audi is not using them IN PLACE OF headlamps when it's using them for DRLs.

There's nothing that states DRLs MUST be headlamps - a number of vehicles use the marker lights as DRLs.
On the Audis that I have seen, the fog lights are illuminated without the headlights on. During the day. In clear weather.

I realize that the corner markers can be used as DRLs with no headlamps on, but the MVA specifically states that the fogs cannot be operated without the headlamps on unless weather conditions permit.

Does that section not apply if they're being used as DRLs?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #74

Quote:
On the Audis that I have seen, the fog lights are illuminated without the headlights on. During the day. In clear weather.

I realize that the corner markers can be used as DRLs with no headlamps on, but the MVA specifically states that the fogs cannot be operated without the headlamps on unless weather conditions permit.
It doesn't, actually...

What it says SPECIFICALLY is:

Quote:
Fog lamps
4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.

(2) Each fog lamp must be
(a) mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and
(b) adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10 cm below the height of the fog lamp.
(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.
(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.
There's nothing in there that says you must have headlights on at the same time as the fogs. It gives specific conditions where fogs may be used INSTEAD OF headlights... and another section specifies conditions under while headlights must be used. When headlights are not required, "atmospheric conditions" aren't relevant.
Quote: