REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Places to eat in surrey

Hey guys looking for good places to eat in surrey besides chain stores
Just moved in surrey so I don't know the goOd places beside pho tam and I heard vera's burger
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Pinoy_Crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

pho tau bay. sushi place across from gilford across from timmy/papa john's/taco del mar. I think it's beside pearl fever? korean bbq place on 104 and king george on the corner is pretty good. there's a small little chinese place near surrey central. can't remember what it was called though. all i remember was the "parking" was atrocious.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
pho tau bay. sushi place across from gilford across from timmy/papa john's/taco del mar. I think it's beside pearl fever? korean bbq place on 104 and king george on the corner is pretty good. there's a small little chinese place near surrey central. can't remember what it was called though. all i remember was the "parking" was atrocious.
Guildford Sushi? That place is ok, you are getting more quantity than quality of that is your thing.

There isn't a ton of really good food in Surrey aside from the chain restaurants, but some places that come to mind right away are:

- The Vault (Cloverdale)
- Galini (awesome Greek food, on Fraser Hwy on the border of Surrey and Langley)
- Tobiko Sushi (160 Street and Fraser Hwy)
- Hanako Sushi (152 street near Guildford Mall)
- Mahek (indian food on Scott Road)
- Sabai Thai (150 street across from Guildford Mall)
- Pho Tam (you already mentioned)
- Steveston Pizza (haven't tried this location in South Surrey, but the Richmond location is awesome so I would hope the quality has transferred over to their second location)
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoodbar View Post
there's a small little chinese place near surrey central. can't remember what it was called though. all i remember was the "parking" was atrocious.
Is that Top King's right next to that Filipino place and where the Hockey Shop is? I like going there, cheaper than T&T and tastes about the same.

Ho Do has really cheap lunch specials, always tastes good.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I've lived in surrey since 94 and still cross the bridge when I'm looking for good food. All the places mentioned I've tried but it's nothing special. If you love Indian food this is the place to be. Luckily I like Indian food.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #6

its chain but try out 5 guys burger

that place makes sick ass burgers and the fries come in MASSIVE sizes

the smallest sized fries is enough for 2 ppl

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonpoon88 View Post
its chain but try out 5 guys burger

that place makes sick ass burgers and the fries come in MASSIVE sizes

the smallest sized fries is enough for 2 ppl
its soo good
Gary Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Red Rose restaurant on King George near 68 ave is very good. If you want subs or wraps try out Sub Garden on 72nd ave near 134 street next to the Robin Hood pub. Definitely the place to go for a sub or wrap. During lunch, the line goes out the door sometimes.
EXV603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Guildford Sushi? That place is ok, you are getting more quantity than quality of that is your thing.

There isn't a ton of really good food in Surrey aside from the chain restaurants, but some places that come to mind right away are:

- The Vault (Cloverdale)
- Galini (awesome Greek food, on Fraser Hwy on the border of Surrey and Langley)
- Steveston Pizza (haven't tried this location in South Surrey, but the Richmond location is awesome so I would hope the quality has transferred over to their second location)
I've heard about Mahek, how is it?

Galini is good. Sabai Thai, that's one of the places I want to try, and everyone knows about pho tam by now. I got to try Tobiko, how is it?

For me, here are my favourites:

Tokachi - Here's my little secret place - I love this place. I go here quite often, maybe 2-3 times a month and spend around $50 each time, just for take out. Quality is top notch. Try out their spicy salmom sashimi. Their spicy sauce is incredible on this, it's home-made and it's all marinated, very unique. One of the best sushi joints in the lower mainland here, and not a lot of people know, probably cause it's in the ghetto. And it's authentic Japanese, plus they wear their kimonos. Corner of 108th and King George, beside the liquor store.

Donair Affair - you want donairs/pitas stuff with meat? This is the place. For about 5-6 (now they have specials, depending on what day you order). Get a regular size, because the extra large doesn't look much different. Best bang for your buck here. 156? and 108th - across from Shell, in the strip mall with subway and mac. I always order regular lamb with everything. Superb.

Tasty Sweets - they're moving to somewhere on Scott Road, I think maybe 80th. Best Indian food hands down I've ever tasted. Everything they make here is the best, coming down their Chatt to their Keema Curry. Tastes like heaven.

Hakka Masti - there's a couple of chains of Asian/Indian fusion in
Surrey, most noticeable Green Chlli Garden? forgot what's it called but the one on the corner of 96th and 128th. Sucks, forget it. The strip mall, just north of 88th - west side of Scott Road. Best fusion restaurant, everything is so damn tasteful in here. Even their sweet vineger chilli sauce is amazing. I order the chicken chow mein and Kofta's quite often.

Dosa Grill - across from Hakka Masti I think... or pretty close, it's on the east side of Scott Road, near 88th. If you like South Indian, this is pretty damn good here. I love their spring dosa's, and it comes with a couple sauces and excellent traditional south indian soup.

-- wheres' this 5 guys burger? and ho do?

top kings sucks. well, it's okay depending on how hungry you are. cheap deals that are closest to me. i do like ken's kitchen in van though, give you way more for about the same price.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
there is a place called mehfil on scott road,

its all you can eat indian food for like 11 bucks,

it is phenominal too, good quality, awsome taste, includes desert.

I wouldnt recommend it if it wasnt damn good, i go there all the time
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
2 more well known places for cheap eats not mentioned:
guildford station pub
fresgos
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
I can vouch for a number of these restaurants.

Station Pub, Pho Tau Bay (and consequently Donair Affair which is right next door), Mehfil, Hanako, Pho Tam are all solid solid eats.
Not sure I'd put Ho Do on my list of good eats, but to each his own.
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
God of Unce

Pho Vinh
Posted via RS Mobile
Armind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Lol guildford sushi and frescos are complete garbage, no matter what you get at frescos it tastes like cardboard and it's not even a good deal anymore
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
I've heard about Mahek, how is it?

Galini is good. Sabai Thai, that's one of the places I want to try, and everyone knows about pho tam by now. I got to try Tobiko, how is it?
Mahek is pretty good. I think it was better before, but it is still solid Indian food, never had a bad meal there.

Tobiko is solid sushi for a small neighborhood joint. I find the quality of the ingredients and the preparation above average compared to most sushi places in Surrey. They also have some izakaya style dishes that separate it from the competition.

Forgot about Donair Affair and Station Pub, both are excellent and cheap!

And 5 Guys is in South Surrey.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol guildford sushi and frescos are complete garbage, no matter what you get at frescos it tastes like cardboard and it's not even a good deal anymore
Posted via RS Mobile
Qft

I used to eat at fresgos years ago when quality was a lot higher and prices were lower. I haven't eaten there in almost 5 years.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
SFICC-03*

lol true enough. i havent been there in probably 4-5yrs either, i just listed it cause i have fond memories there in my stoner days
Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
SFICC-03*

Quote:

- The Vault (Cloverdale)
nice list, only critique of the ones ive been to is mahek.
i thought it just tried too hard to be upscale and the food just didnt match up
Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Banh mai tay do, best nammer subs
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
lol true enough. i havent been there in probably 4-5yrs either, i just listed it cause i have fond memories there in my stoner days
lol my dad used to tell me stories when he used to go to BCIT he would go eat at fresgos and even then it tasted like cardboard, and that was probably 30 years ago lol

although i will agree with the stoner part, its a pretty chill place to mow late night or a hung over breaky lol
Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Mahek is pretty good. I think it was better before, but it is still solid Indian food, never had a bad meal there.

Tobiko is solid sushi for a small neighborhood joint. I find the quality of the ingredients and the preparation above average compared to most sushi places in Surrey. They also have some izakaya style dishes that separate it from the competition.

Forgot about Donair Affair and Station Pub, both are excellent and cheap!

And 5 Guys is in South Surrey.

Where is Tobiko? If I can find something more cheaper than Tokachi and at least somewhat good, I will.

I need the address for 5 guys, I got to try it out one day.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
In my high school days, it was either Subway, Donair Affair or Pho for most of my buddies. Good/cheap eats in that 108/148 area.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #23

If you want a higher scale place: Old Surrey Restaurant. Never had a bad meal or service there.

As for Mahek, I cannot say enough good things about it.

Guildford Station Pub, as mentioned already, is good eats.

On Yuen, located in the strip mall of Save On Foods (Fraser Hwy and 152 st) is good Chinese food. Never a bad meal there, and always good service.

Tokachi for sushi. Located at King George and 108 Ave (Same parking lot as the Shell Station and Liquer Store)

Also, I think it's Ronny's now, no longer Joe and Floe's. It's on King George, around 68th I want to say? Chinese folks that run the place, but damn they can make some mean white man food. Borsht is fucking great there.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
Where is Tobiko? If I can find something more cheaper than Tokachi and at least somewhat good, I will.

I need the address for 5 guys, I got to try it out one day.
Tobiko is on 160th St and Fraser Hwy, in the same plaza as Wendy's. It is right next door to Pizza Hut.

Five Guys Burgers Address = Google
2285 160 Street
Surrey, BC
(604) 531-7829
Old 03-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #25
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
mahek for brown food
pearl fever for bbt
banh mi tay do for viet subs
pho tam and pho tau bay for pho