REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Closest you've been with death (https://www.revscene.net/forums/641288-closest-youve-been-death.html)

Mining 03-28-2011 05:39 PM

Closest you've been with death

Share any past experiences where you could have died if not for ______ .

I`ll start off

I was riding my bike (elementary school days) down a very steep hill, suddenly I lost control and crashed into the middle of a very busy street but my friend was there and quickly pulled me off and onto the side walk before the cars almost crashed into me. I only ended up with bandages wrapped around both my arms, legs, and face.

Hopefully hasn't been posted before, I searched though didn't find anything.

sonick 03-28-2011 05:44 PM

Choked on an ice cube on my birthday one year at Wendy's.

Mining 03-28-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7365079)
Choked on an ice cube on my birthday one year at Wendy's.

Hope you have recovered since then.

gdoh 03-28-2011 06:19 PM

t-boned by a durango was lucky that it hit the center column and wasnt up a little further, ambulance were surprised that i could even walk out of the car

Berzerker 03-28-2011 06:37 PM

Speeding along Dollarton Highway on the way to work in an Integra GSR. Was doing about 110km/hr as I was late (young and dumb) hit the ruts the buses make and hydroplaned sending me into a flat spin down the road. There was a Telephone Pole and then Cement road Barriers and the way the car was spinning it just happened to slide through the middle of the 2 going backwards. I went into the ditch and hit a tree going straight backwards. When I came to my senses I was laying kind of half out the hatch of the car with rain falling on my face. The seat broke backwards and formed a sort of launch ramp that would have had me laying in the forest somewhere had my feet not caught on the lap belt part of my seatbelt. I untangled my feet rolled backwards out of the hatch and took a look at the car. The back of the car was folded around the tree and the back bumper was touching the rear seats. I climbed out of the ditch and some guy was there and he asked if I was ok and that he had already called the ambulance. When the fire truck got there they said "Where's the Dead Guy?" I waved and said "Right here." They were dumbfounded how I was able to walk away without a scratch on me.

Now I'm paranoid as shit driving in the rain.

Berz out.

gdoh 03-28-2011 06:42 PM

holy shit that gave me goose bumps

rexsomnii 03-28-2011 06:47 PM

when i was 14, i was roller blading down windsor street to marine drive to go to the gas station on fraser and marine.. as i was rolling down the hill and i picked up so much speed..when i tried to brake my right rubber brake broke off and couldnt stop any more since i was going down pretty fast. so i decided to hop onto the sidewalk and grabbed a light pole.

other than major bruise on my arm from stopping myself to go into traffic ,and a pair of fucked up blades, i would have been in a major accident involving cars.

holy shit..

AlphaKappa 03-28-2011 07:03 PM

in grade 4, i was chasing my friend in the classroom and all of a sudden I tripped and hit my head on one of the desk legs (which had sharp points at the bottom). I remember seeing a spotch of blood on the floor, another classmate carrying me to the principal's office, then me somehow ending up in a hospital.. afterwards i found out i have stitches in my forehead :(

Another one was when i was driving my bike and I sped up to go across a crosswalk, and with the corner of my eye I see a van coming. The van then fricking hits my bike at about 20km? (it was in a school zone.) And luckily in that moment i did a martial arts dive as fast as i could and rolled onto the cement floor.. fucking driver doesn't even stop to apologize, or help me out, and there went my $300 bike :2finger:

TOS'd 03-28-2011 07:11 PM

One time, I asked this girl out and she said no. :(

dark0821 03-28-2011 07:20 PM

abt 2 years ago... it was raining pretty hard, i was taking the exit from knight st on to alderbridge (going from vancouver to richmond), as I try to merge to the left lane, as the right inside lane eventually leads to an exit, my car hydroplaned and did a full 180, now I am facing the wrong way of traffic in the middle of 3 lanes while cars going pass me in the rain at like 80-90KM/hr all the while i was in a 96 corolla with no air bags...

babybear 03-28-2011 08:22 PM

BF was driving me to UBC in a Honda Si on 41st. The lights at Angus had just turned green when we reached the intersection so we just kept going. Some guy pushed his luck, ran his stop sign and made a left turn as soon when we got into the intersection. Had my bf not swerved a little to the left to try to avoid a full on t-bone... who knows what would've happened. The other car hit my side right behind my seat, and we spun out and my bf's side hit another car headon. The Si was totalled, but we walked away with matching nasty bruises on our arms and whip lash.

Interesting fact: there's now a barrier at that intersection.

k3mps 03-28-2011 08:26 PM

close to? i was over it.
when i was younger, we got rear side ended, our car went in a 360. our car crashed into the railing of the overpass by still creek mcdicks.
half our car was over the edge, above the grass on the bottom, about 15 meters up.
i was in the front seat (i was old enough), our car didnt tip over.
had our car fallen, we wouldve landed upside down 15meters below, all of us being dead.

Qmx323 03-28-2011 08:58 PM

got hit by a car at 30-40 km an hour

sore knee for 4 weeks limped for 6 weeks no structual damage.

the car got fucked up worse than I did

!Tigger 03-28-2011 10:25 PM

friend was chopping fire wood with an axe, it slipped out of his hands, and hit me, lucky it was the blunt end.(hit my spine almost)

Vansterdam 03-29-2011 06:16 AM

almost got hit by a car when i was little (literally did some crazy matrix shit and barely dodged it)

buddy was going preety fast on the highway after paintball and one of his tires blew(managed to safely pull over and the tire was straight shredded/fucked)

was on a roller coaster ride in vietnam and the seatbelt came off as were inclining up for the big drop

ones i can remember so far

SkinnyPupp 03-29-2011 06:19 AM

Driving on the freeway in Japan for the first time, on my first day driving there. The signs there are very obscure (and there are no signs for merging lanes) so I was just leaving the toll area onto the freeway. I didn't realize I was even on a merging lane at the time, and next thing I know I am a few feet away from being smoked by a big truck. He didn't honk or anything...

Luckily although I was being stupid, I was able to react quickly enough to avoid a collision.

I wasn't scared until later that night when we talked about what happened... How close we were to getting smoked at high speed still kind of freaks me out :lol

Vansterdam 03-29-2011 06:56 AM

this one time a forklift driver with about 8-12 palletboards didnt see me while he was driving, when he finally saw me he stopped JUST in front of me and the pallets almost fell on me

Brianrietta 03-29-2011 07:03 AM

Looking back on it and understanding the condition better I was in no real danger but at the time I was pretty freaked out. Last year I underwent major surgery on my legs to correct my chronic exertional compartment syndrome and had bilateral simultaneous fasciotomies done. When I came out of anesthesia I was surrounded by people telling me to try to cough and take as deep of breaths as possible, I was being wheeled around on my stretcher to get x-rays of my chest and whatnot. When I tried to ask what was going on I was given the extremely short answer of "part of your lungs have collapsed" which terrified me because I was having trouble breathing and while I kept trying to take deep breaths and remember to cough I kept fading in and out and in my doped up state was pretty sure that I was going to die. Turns out that acute postoperative atelectasis is fairly common and that with the massive amount of supplementary oxygen I was getting it was just a matter of time before I recovered, but for the first several hours (felt like days) in recovery I was pretty sure that I was doomed.

liu13 03-29-2011 07:15 AM

every time i drink and drive

one time we were racing and i was a bit tipsy may be around 6 drinks within 2 hours, but that was in burnaby so it's not that bad

sonick 03-29-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 7365876)
one time we were racing and i was a bit tipsy may be around 6 drinks within 2 hours, but that was in burnaby so it's not that bad

lol wut

liu13 03-29-2011 07:22 AM

burnaby traffic is pretty easy to maneuver around at night if u stay away from kingsway, we use to always race from one place to another for the bar tab

Gumby 03-29-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 7365876)
every time i drink and drive

If you're being serious, you need to wake the fuck up before you kill someone.

Marioo1991 03-29-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liu13 (Post 7365881)
burnaby traffic is pretty easy to maneuver around at night if u stay away from kingsway, we use to always race from one place to another for the bar tab

I hope you get your license taken away before you hurt someone

Supafly 03-29-2011 10:10 AM

last summer, jacked up my car with the OEM jack....took the rear wheel off and decided to have a quick visual inspection of the struts and camber arms...as I got out and stood up, the jack failed and the car came crashing down...one of those "I'd be dead" moments.

Araaadi 03-29-2011 10:22 AM

^^
Similar to yours. I was changing the oil on my car and switching out a flat. So i was parked in the church across the street lot. I was to lazy to get the huge jack. I used my oem jack. Jacked my car up. Went under, undid the oil bolt and the oil filter. I heard a creaky noise. Pulled my headout quickly. Jack tipped over because it was on uneven grounds. Car hit the floor hard with my head 5inches away.

Another time was my friends birthday at his house. It was just mutual friends and it went we'll then someone called their older buddies. I was pretty much trying to stop a fight between these two guys when a third guy came in shooting. The bullet went passed me and into the guy i was holding back leg. Everyone ran after the shot. Someone stole my brandnew nike shox. Worst party ever
Posted via RS Mobile