REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
comparison between sfu and ubc degree

just wanted to get some insight on a comparison between an sfu kin degree versus a ubc human kinetics degree, an sfu business degree and a ubc commerce degree, an sfu arts degree and a ubc arts degree. What are the strengths/advantages of either one? are there strengths that would perhaps outweight other ones that would make one program more beneficial to another?
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
You're probably to young to know this but it doesn't matter which degree you have, it's how you use it. It's not which major you grad in with double major or minor, it's the work experience you gain and build upon it.

There are people who obtained degrees in environmental science and yet work in a retail shop trying to see if they want to get back into studies in univeristy. They believe getting their masters degree will then give them an opportunity to get better jobs.

I came from a econ degree, my gpa was 2.1 when i grad (barely passing) and with 4 jobs, 10 years of experience building on each other, my last two jobs was in a fortune 80 company.

I do have to sya, if you go into SFU, do commerce and get into the co-op program.
6793026 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Co-op + high gpa + strong network = employment after university.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
You're probably to young to know this but it doesn't matter which degree you have, it's how you use it. It's not which major you grad in with double major or minor, it's the work experience you gain and build upon it.

There are people who obtained degrees in environmental science and yet work in a retail shop trying to see if they want to get back into studies in univeristy. They believe getting their masters degree will then give them an opportunity to get better jobs.

I came from a econ degree, my gpa was 2.1 when i grad (barely passing) and with 4 jobs, 10 years of experience building on each other, my last two jobs was in a fortune 80 company.

I do have to sya, if you go into SFU, do commerce and get into the co-op program.
but there wont be a point for me to go into business because i dont find an interest in business-related fields...
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
just wanted to get some insight on a comparison between an sfu kin degree versus a ubc human kinetics degree, an sfu business degree and a ubc commerce degree, an sfu arts degree and a ubc arts degree. What are the strengths/advantages of either one? are there strengths that would perhaps outweight other ones that would make one program more beneficial to another?
in terms of extra curriculars if you're going to live in campus, pick UBC. that is the closest to american college life you will get.

Academics wise, as everyone else said its what you make of your degree that matters. Alot of what you learn in class wont even apply to your job, or will be outdated by that time.

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

I came out from science, chemical science even, and i'm working for business consulting firms that business grads want. As said above, it really doesn't matter what piece of paper you got to wipe your boss' ass with, it's down to who you are and how many people like you. Look at Justin Bieber as an extreme example, the kid doesn't even have a highschool diploma yet but he's making business deals left and right and raking in cash like it's nothing. Is he even of age to vote? Don't think so. Maybe a year or so but the kid got people to like him and he'll get hired ANYWHERE that is in the music and entertainment industry. What qualifications does this kid have really?

There's a huge fallacy that UBC degrees will guarantee you a better job than SFU degrees. It's really not, it's just the mentality that students come out with that make or break them. There's that air of arrogance that comes with a UBC commerce student but that has nothing to do with the degree. It's the student hyping it up. Sure it's harder to get into UBC but by the end of it, the course work and difficulty is pretty much on a level playing field. It's only those first few years that weed out the people who can't make it. After that, it's fair game on both sides.

Degree is all talk but when it comes to walking the walk, that's what employers are looking for. People who can walk without tripping over themselves.
MrGoodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: