REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Chinese Catering in Vancouver: Any ideas? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/641777-chinese-catering-vancouver-any-ideas.html)

brokentelephone 04-02-2011 02:55 PM

Chinese Catering in Vancouver: Any ideas?

Hi,

I am throwing a party at my house for about 50 people and am looking for a caterer who specializes in Chinese food.

Anyone know anybody? Or any particular restaurants which also offer catering?

Thanks in advance!

evil_jigglypuff 04-02-2011 03:20 PM

If you live in or near Richmond, you can go get food from the Richmond Public Market. For a small platter of food, it's about $15 and that can feed to maybe 10-15 people. So if you get the biggest platter(I think its $25) and get $100 worth then... :fuckyea:

Not the freshest food but cheap and quick solution as usually, catering require days of notice...

Culverin 04-02-2011 03:24 PM

I think we need a sticky for this subject.

Go talk to Kent's Kitchen and Mui Garden.

bcrdukes 04-02-2011 03:39 PM

I know On Lok has always catered for large groups/parties. They aren't gourmet/fancy Chinese but they get the job done. Food is alright at best for what you pay.

Map
2010 East Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC V5L 1T8
(604) 253-3856 ‎

On Lok's Menu on Urban Spoon - *Note* - I don't know how updated this menu is!

brokentelephone 04-03-2011 02:41 PM

Thanks guys --

I'm specifically looking for someone to come to my home to cook and serve food (some items would benefit from being cooked/re-heated at my home so need someone who could run the kitchen).

Any more suggestions? Kirin does it, but I don't think their non-dimsum food is all that worthwhile.

Culverin 04-03-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokentelephone (Post 7373571)
Thanks guys --

I'm specifically looking for someone to come to my home to cook and serve food (some items would benefit from being cooked/re-heated at my home so need someone who could run the kitchen).

Any more suggestions? Kirin does it, but I don't think their non-dimsum food is all that worthwhile.

Whoa. This must be some shindig you are throwing!
Can you share with us on # of guests, type of food you are expecting and what kind of kitchen you have?

That might help some of these industry guys to help you out.

bcrdukes 04-03-2011 04:14 PM

brokentelephone,

Are we invited? :D

(Just kidding...sort of) :whistle:

brokentelephone 04-04-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7373646)
Whoa. This must be some shindig you are throwing!
Can you share with us on # of guests, type of food you are expecting and what kind of kitchen you have?

That might help some of these industry guys to help you out.

Thanks for that; I didn't even think anyone here would be a pro!!!

There should be around 45-50 guests (probably 5 tables of 10), sit-down and likely served restaurant style (i.e., plates of food on each table).

I'd like to serve something like peking duck pancakes(or something similar), dumplings, spring rolls, a few chicken dishes, rice, noodles, etc. (I am Jewish so no pork or shellfish -- seafood restaurants that specialize in that stuff are wasted on me).

The kitchen is large for a home with 2 large ovens, 2 large fridges, a large 6 burner range, etc., etc., with good amount of counter space.

I am leaning towards using a regular caterer and buying most of the food from a restaurant (and then they can reheat and/or prepare some of it) because I just havent found any success calling Chinese restaurants. It seems that most people prefer just to have their celebrations at the restaurant than in their homes.

Thanks again guys; I really appreciate it.

BCRDUKES: I would invite you but its an engagement party so not exactly the time for new friends!! I would goto pho sometime as I know you're a pho expert and I am always looking for new spots.

bcrdukes 07-23-2021 05:53 AM

Bumping old thread but still but still relevant.

Would anyone know of catering companies that can do a Chinese banquet for 100 - 150 people?

CivicBlues 07-23-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9034444)

Would anyone know of catering companies that can do a Chinese banquet for 100 - 150 people?

Congrats, are we all invited to the wedding? :badpokerface:

bcrdukes 07-23-2021 01:53 PM

Yes
312 Main Street, Vancouver, BC
Saturday, July 24, 2021 @ 5:00pm
Street parking only. Bring your families.

CivicBlues 07-23-2021 02:05 PM

Sweet!! is it BYOH?

Expresso 09-14-2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 9034444)

Talk to your boy Curtis!