REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You can celebrate with drinks other than fucking cognac. Does anyone really actually like cognac? Just like serving shark fin and abalone, it serves no other purpose but to 'get face'. Nobody actually likes shark fin, and what's so great about abalone?

Shark fin = over priced garbage =/ (would never buy it)

Abalone.. actually I like the texture :P but still over priced none the less.. haha
Id buy it if it was cheaper
Advertisement
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelonBoy View Post
Shark fin = over priced garbage =/ (would never buy it)

Abalone.. actually I like the texture :P but still over priced none the less.. haha
Id buy it if it was cheaper
Agree, good abalone is really good. But it's so overpriced, and you know it's not ordered because of how good it is. I'll take good scallops or oysters over abalone any day.

2 of my most memorable meals were abalone steaks in Taiwan, and freshly grilled scallops in Hokkaido
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #28
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
My grandpa was a drinker and kept around a couple bottles of really good cognac. I've got a taste for it too, SkinnyPupp, what you said is so true. It's mostly a face-saving drink, something more popular due to it's reputation than actually because the guests will appreciate it.

My other grandparents run a fishery and seem to have a habit of entertaining clients and bringing them to family dinners. So I've had everything from cheapy sharkfin and abalone to the really good stuff. I actually find things totally opposite.

The sharkfin itself isn't really good, but the soup can be a totally awesome broth, something just simply amazing that takes real skill to make. I just wish they would make the soup with something else, but I guess they couldn't charge that much.

I've never found abalone any good. It's always chewy and rubbery to me, the texture just doesn't seem to bring anything to the table, and the flavor, although distinctive, just doesn't seem very attractive to me at all.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #29

Oh I agree, the SOUP part of shark fin SOUP can be really good. But then why not just have SOUP? That way, you don't waste money, and you don't have to worry about wiping a species off the face of the earth to 'get face'
Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #30
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
You might want to check out Shiang Garden in Richmond. They have pretty nice decor and the layout is open. I've been to a wedding at Kirin @ Starlight, and was just there yesterday for a baby banquet, but I think I prefer Shiang Garden more. Of course, maybe I'm partial to them given that I had my wedding there last year. We seated about 260, I believe. We seemed to get pretty positive feedback about the food.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
my cousins wedding was a kirn coq last year not bad of a place while his brother is having his at shiang garden this year, place is ok but last someone told me free dinner there cuz his friend did a job but they couldn't pay for it so they gave them a free meal

while shark fin soups is something im gonna take a pass on by heart but im still gonna eat it as the shark gave its life for it so in end it would me eat it as a token of appreciation (plus i also dun waste food)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #32
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanks guys-

So far I've checked out:

Shiang Garden, SSW, Kirin @ Starlight, Floata and Top Gun. Kirin to me, still seems to have the best decor.

Regarding liquor laws:

Not very clear and every restaruant has given me a different answer. If anyone is in the same boat as me, Floata will let you bring in your own cognac if you really negotiate. Still waiting for a reply from BC Liquor control. No one wants to provide a straight answer. Pretty fustrating. If someone has more insight, please shed some light.

Cheers,
sas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #33
The RS Freebie guru

I think by the book, you haven't been able to bring your own liquor for a long time already... not something new for 2012.

When I had my wedding, we were able to bring all of our own stuff, including our U-brew red and white wine... which is definitely a no-no.

Usually they won't make a big fuss about it... unless they've gotten in trouble for it recently.

My friends had a wedding banquet two weeks after mine at a restaurant just a few blocks away, and originally they were allowed to bring their own alcohol, but sometime between the negotiation and the wedding, the restaurant got in trouble because at one of their events, someone got shitfaced and went outside and starting puking and stuff and the police came. At least that's what I was told about it...
Old 04-15-2011, 02:01 AM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

sun sui wah has gone downhill in my opinion

but i've heard nothing but good things about kirin
boss_clad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You can celebrate with drinks other than fucking cognac. Does anyone really actually like cognac? Just like serving shark fin and abalone, it serves no other purpose but to 'get face'. Nobody actually likes shark fin, and what's so great about abalone?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaxa

best brandy ever. I use it in alot of my cooking and drinking it is actually good. Even though it burns it has an actual good taste and smell.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 AM   #36

Just something to consider, don't be convinced just by fancy decor. Not saying anything about any restaurant in particular, but quite often the nicest, fanciest restaurants can have horrible service and food. These are probably irrelevant in terms of face getting in many cases, but it will reflect the overall impression.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #37
The RS Freebie guru

Kirin @ Starlight is definitely a decent venue in terms of decor and layout... the one in Richmond is terrible though. Pillars everywhere, leading to blocked sight lines to where the head table would be.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas View Post
Shiang Garden, SSW, Kirin @ Starlight, Floata and Top Gun. Kirin to me, still seems to have the best decor.
Floata's not really known for good food. Been there for a wedding ages ago and the food was average at best. Only thing they have going for them is the venue.

While I've never been to Top Gun, I've heard poor reviews from friends and family. Dim sum & sushi? Really? And they own Richmond Sushi . . . that's enough reason for me to not go there.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #39
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
My cousin and her husband got married at SSW a few years ago. The restaurant gave them a discount because they paid the bill in cash. -first time that I saw the bride and groom counting $100 bills when it came time to pay up.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:11 AM   #40
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
hennessy or remy XO
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Couple years ago my buddies sister was getting married, and he ask me and a couple friends to bartend cause they bought there own alcohol. Saved alot of money and it was the best wedding reception ive ever been too.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #42
Peanut Butter Jelly with a Baseball Bat!

what's the range in pricing per table for the menus at these places? I know it depends on what you want on the menu but is there like some sort of 'general' rate? say generally 700-1000 per table or something? I assume that the venue fee would be on top, would you have to pay extra as well if the staff had to stay later cause your party didn't clear out in time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
this aint mcdonalds, smiles aren't free.
Peanut Butter Jelly Time! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #43

20% handling fee?? Im sure you can negotiate with the manager.

XO Cognac??? Not a lot of people gonna be drinking them. At my friend's wedding, we had over 100 people but we didn't even finish up a bottle.
sobranie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #44
The RS Freebie guru

$488 is on lower end, and $1088 is on the upper end.

$688 to $888 is pretty standard.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #45
Banned (ABWS)

Did you try Rain Flower on #3 ? (Richmond)
ConCho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #46
Banned By Establishment

If you have a lot of friends coming to the wedding that are not into Chinese food, then you might want to substitute the abalone dish for their tables. We did that at our wedding and kept the dish for the family. THe friends got a dish of prawns and snow peas.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #47
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,064 Times in 1,183 Posts
Here's the document posted outside restaurants that I mentioned earlier:

Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #48
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Anyone ever thought of renting there own hall and hiring a caterer so that way you can bring your own alcohol. Maybe check out one of the many South Asian banquet halls.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #49
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Friend sent me an invitation to his wedding but it's going to be on the same night of UFC 131. I already have tickets so I'm thinking of showing up to the service during the afternoon and skipping the main portion of the dinner.

I've never had this happen before so hopefully people that have could chime in. How would it work if I were to show up after the event around 930? i.e. gifts/money etc.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #50
sas
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
20% handling fee?? Im sure you can negotiate with the manager.

XO Cognac??? Not a lot of people gonna be drinking them. At my friend's wedding, we had over 100 people but we didn't even finish up a bottl
Both families can drink. I've negotiated Kirin to 10% if anyone is in the same boat as me. I'm sure you can get this down to 0. Golden Swan will not charge anything as well.

Quote:
$488 is on lower end
Where did you see $488? The lowest I've seen is $688

Quote:
Anyone ever thought of renting there own hall and hiring a caterer so that way you can bring your own alcohol. Maybe check out one of the many South Asian banquet halls.
Yes, Yes I did. Problem is- parents think this is a cheap route when it will actually cost me due to decorations etc.. But they're really only interested in status quo. God forbid you do something different. Might as well invite only 88 guests for luck.
sas is offline   Reply With Quote