REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,806 Times in 215 Posts
Motorcycles

Well I want buy a pretty decent sports bike, and my budget is around $10000. Just looking for a sick bike that does it's job and has good manouevre. Don't really know what to get and ye i'm pretty much a newb on bikes..

P.S. if you know a place where they offer better deals on motorcycles, and accesories that would help me more!
Advertisement
AlphaKappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

first thing is take a riding course like PRS. Then that will help you gauge what you can ride.
Other than that, Burnaby Kawasaki is always good.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Moved to appropriate forum.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #4
RS Veteran

That's a lot of money for a first bike, especially because you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Like racerman88 suggested, take up lessons through PRS first then decide on what you want.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 04-18-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
get a hayabusa and then turbocharge it. stock hayabusas only have around 180hp and won't break 200mph, so you'll need that extra boost to get you up there. you don't need to spend too much on gear as safety equipment is generally pretty over rated. get a 2nd hand helmet off craigslist (only because it's legally required for you to wear one) and you're good to go. lastly, don't listen to the guys' advice on taking a course. that 700 dollars can be spent on a nitrous kit for when the turbo gets boring.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

^

What size are you? I'm selling a brand new Scorpion Stinger Perforated leather jacket, but it's size small

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=130722
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
get a hayabusa and then turbocharge it. stock hayabusas only have around 180hp and won't break 200mph, so you'll need that extra boost to get you up there. you don't need to spend too much on gear as safety equipment is generally pretty over rated. get a 2nd hand helmet off craigslist (only because it's legally required for you to wear one) and you're good to go. lastly, don't listen to the guys' advice on taking a course. that 700 dollars can be spent on a nitrous kit for when the turbo gets boring.
ya totally thinking of getting that turbo 500bhp hayabusa , tearing it up 280 mph on the highway LOOOOL.

but i was thinking of getting the 250 ninja r, heard it was a pretty decent begginer bike?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKappa View Post
ya totally thinking of getting that turbo 500bhp hayabusa , tearing it up 280 mph on the highway LOOOOL.

but i was thinking of getting the 250 ninja r, heard it was a pretty decent begginer bike?
10g's for a 250! i doubt you'd need any more then half of that for a 250!

or you can buy my 600rr
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #9

yeah, a 250 is a great beginners bike. theres enough power to keep you going for at least a season or two. you can pick them up for around 3-4 grand, and they have a relatively good resale value as well. when you grow out of it, you can sell it for 75-80% of what you bought it for and then get a brand new 600 or something.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
RS Veteran

If possible, get the new Honda CBR250. Similar to the Ninja 250 except it uses electronic fuel injection as opposed to carbs.

The only downside to the CBR250 is that it's a first model year so it COULD potentially come with some problems attached. Then again, it's a Honda and it will have a solid warranty.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Get what you want to get! Just as long has you have common sense and a level head, you can learn to ride on just about any bike. I have seen guys do stupid shit on a 250cc, 600cc and 1000cc. Hell, I know somebody who managed to flip a scooter! It's all in between the ears.

I recently bought a new helmet and slip on exhaust online from a company in richmond called synmoto. I think they are a new. There was a mix up with my online order, but they dealt with it fast. Very happy with their customer service. Prices were pretty good, at least compared to bayside which is where I usually shop at. I believe the guy who runs synmoto used to work at bayside.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

the ninja 250 is a better bike than the Honda. I wouldn't get the Honda since it will be the first year of their new bike. THe ninja has been around for a while and is very popular.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

just hope i go more than 200 km/h with it on the highway

jk jk, im just looking for easy to manouvre and is the seat position comfortable? could you ride more than 2 hours without your knees aching and etc?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts
you should factor in a lot of stuff when starting off.

you'll need gear
you should take riding school
buying a bike new or used, you will have to pay for tax also
you need to get insurance for a bike

I was quoted $1900 to insure a $6500 600cc bike for 6 months..
That was for 1 million dollar liability + full coverage which includes comprehension and collision. Keep in mind I have a 40% discount already.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
RS Veteran

If you're interested, I have a 1977 Yamaha RD200 for $2300 obo. New tires front and rear with cables, carbs, brakes, and chain adjusted. Oil changed too. Excellent bike to learn on and very comfortable to ride all day. 2-stroke motor and pulls like a mother #%&*.

6800km. Insurance is cheap too!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKappa View Post
just hope i go more than 200 km/h with it on the highway

jk jk, im just looking for easy to manouvre and is the seat position comfortable? could you ride more than 2 hours without your knees aching and etc?
I had a Ninja 250 (now given to the wife). Very easy to manouvre and riding position is relatively upright and comfy (slight sporting position). I've ridden up to squamish and back...the only thing sore was my ass But I'm 5'8", not sure if you would feel cramped at your height.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If you're interested, I have a 1977 Yamaha RD200 for $2300 obo. New tires front and rear with cables, carbs, brakes, and chain adjusted. Oil changed too. Excellent bike to learn on and very comfortable to ride all day. 2-stroke motor and pulls like a mother #%&*.

6800km. Insurance is cheap too!
dont think i'd wanna ride a 1977 bike, it must use way more fuel cuz it's an older model, but as for the 250r pretty confident i will be getting with all the great reviews, unless i win a free y2k helicopter engine bike
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
you should factor in a lot of stuff when starting off.

you'll need gear
you should take riding school
buying a bike new or used, you will have to pay for tax also
you need to get insurance for a bike

I was quoted $1900 to insure a $6500 600cc bike for 6 months..
That was for 1 million dollar liability + full coverage which includes comprehension and collision. Keep in mind I have a 40% discount already.
definitely keep in mind of the budget you're willing to spend! 10k is a good budget but if you get a 600cc bike used (2006 and up) + insurance, that is almost 10k right there.

make sure you take a riding school.

i started riding last season and bought a 2006 yamaha r6. it was a mistake. not to say i don't like it, but the learning curve is MUCH steeper than a 250.

i recommend a used 250cc for a starter bike. easier riding position and more throttle forgiveness. i find that my back starts hurting after riding a while on the r6. a twist on the throttle on a 600cc can be dangerous where as you can twist the same amount on a 250cc and can be ok.

as for gear, it depends what you want, but it all adds up. helmets easily 400, jacket 200-400, not sure about pants, but boots can go from 400 and up easily. for better protection (like full leathers) the price goes up even more.

i suggest going to modern and speak to aaron he hes good combo deals you can get. and good luck! post some pics when you get your bike
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #19

it seems like modern's not giving out deals like they used to anymore since their "reorganization". i actually got a better price on tires + installation from bayside.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #20
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

^ i got a great deals on my A star gear. Below US msrp, I don't know how he does it, but he did it for me.

Go to modern for your gear!!
daytona675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
What size are you?

I might be willing to part with this:
https://www.motoliberty.com/prod_det...p?Prod_ID=1393

But I love the jacket. I'd just swap over to the white for some extra nighttime visibility.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

if your budget is 10gs, i'd buy all my gear first...helmet,jacket,gloves,boots,kelvar pants.

take the a course...so thats gonna run about 1500-2000...

with the remaining 8gs, you can opt. for the 250cc route for about 4gs, and then use the remainder for a down on the next bike...or 4gs can get you a 01-04 600cc...

or, use 6g's now, and buy a decent 05-06 600cc bike...
Honda x 3
Mazda
Toyota
Suzuki
Subaru
Warp9Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:40 AM   #23
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

If I knew everything I know now, but was starting from scratch and going straight to a street bike (which is dumb because you should be learning in the dirt) I would buy the new Honda CBR250R or even the CBR125R. Not sure how anyone could suggest "ninja 250 is a better bike than the Honda" when the Honda's aren't even in the showroom yet??? Honda Fuel Injection rocks and that new Honda 250 even has an externalized fuel filter to simplify service, CV carburetors totally suck so if you buy a current or used Ninja 250 and live in a northern climate where we park our bikes over the winter, you better get real good at cleaning your own CV carbs. You can bet on this being the last year Ninja 250 has carburetors or their future 250 market share is poop.

If you understand this stuff, read up on the new Honda 250 and note how many industry first features they are showcasing on this new model, particularly with regard to the engine features: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...spx?id=5849-en
True, being a single this is not an extreme performance sport bike, but as a first bike it's right on the money. If Honda really wanted to crank out a stellar performance 250 it would have somewhere around 3 to 6 cylinders.

Remember since your first bike is not going to be a dirt bike, you are going to need a big chunk of budget to pay for insurance and a quality helmet. ...do not go cheap on the helmet and don't pay tons extra just for the graphics.

Take really good care of your stuff and it will last a very long time and retain it's value. Learn to service your own bikes and you will be a better rider for it.

...there endith the lesson
Cota4RT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
zoo
My homepage has been set to RS

take PRS(Bike school) about 7-800 bucks
save 1500-2000 for gear
buy a used bike for your first bike, dont buy brand new as you will drop it and maybe more then once

get a nice ninja 250 to start or a nice 600 if you feel confident
good luck
im also selling a 2005 ninja if your interested. It was my first bike and it was an awesome bike
time to move to a Harley for me
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #25
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
the question is not if you'll drop your bike, but when. it happens to everybody.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote