REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-16-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Hit and run claim Q

I parked my car in front of my gf's house last night as I usually do and no one was behind me. Left a couple hours later and noticed that a dark green VW B5 Passat was parked behind me, closer than he should've been. Didn't think of much of it since I was tired and just wanted to go home so off I went.

Fast forward to this morning and as I'm about to open my trunk I look down at my rear bumper and noticed that the paint has cracked and is about to chip off. There's a good enough reason for me to believe that this was caused by the Passat parked behind me last night. However, that's about all the info I have on this guy (no plate #). I have noticed this car parked on this street before as I'm pretty sure he's a friend of the guy that lives across from my gf so I'm sure he'll be back again sometime in the near future.

I'd like to claim this incident as a hit and run but I'm not too inclined on shelling out the deductible if I don't have to. Just wondering if any of you have ever been in a similar situation? If I don't get the Passat's plate until a month or two later, would it be too late to claim, since months would've passed already since the time of the incident?
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Not too sure of the longevity of the claim period, but what reasons you have?

If you can, snap pictures of both your damage, and any scuff marks on the passat bumper before you file the claim. This way there's proof incase he touches up his damage before he gets called into the icbc adjustors office.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
i think you're a bit hard pressed to claim it as a hit and run, seeing as he hit you and then just left his car parked there. if you don't lie about the situation, icbc will probably ask you why you didn't check your rear if he was parked oddly close

even moreso if you didn't take down his information (at least his plate and his vin or something)

i don't know though, just speaking from my point of view

regardless, good luck - sucks to hear
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Not too sure of the longevity of the claim period, but what reasons you have?

If you can, snap pictures of both your damage, and any scuff marks on the passat bumper before you file the claim. This way there's proof incase he touches up his damage before he gets called into the icbc adjustors office.
Posted via RS Mobile
My reason for the prolonged claim is because I don't have his plate # yet. However, I am sure he will be back to visit his friend again sometime in the near future and seeing as how both he and his friend are both deadbeat's with shitty cars he won't be touching any of the damage up. Not even sure if there's any damage on his car really since my guess is that the screws holding his licence plate on are what made contact with my bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
i think you're a bit hard pressed to claim it as a hit and run, seeing as he hit you and then just left his car parked there. if you don't lie about the situation, icbc will probably ask you why you didn't check your rear if he was parked oddly close

even moreso if you didn't take down his information (at least his plate and his vin or something)

i don't know though, just speaking from my point of view

regardless, good luck - sucks to hear
That's a good point. I'm not too optimistic honestly but at the least I am trying to make the best out of yet another shitty situation, lol.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #5

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Oh I meant what reasons you have to believe it was him. Assumptions,, or proof (paint, scuff marks, etc)?.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

Well seeing as he was the only one parked behind me yesterday I'd say there's a fair chance it was him lol
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Well seeing as he was the only one parked behind me yesterday I'd say there's a fair chance it was him lol
Posted via RS Mobile
that would be his words against yours. you need concrete evidence that he was the one parked behind you AND that he hit your car.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
My buddies car was hit n run at a friends house by a old Van. There was paint transfer from the van to his vehicle and there was damage on both cars, we called him out on it and he denied it. We called ICBC and they called us back saying that he admitted to everything.

U need some type of evidence that it was his car.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

What if I were to *hypothetically* reenact the scenario and park my car close to his next time and take a picture and take down his vin and plate # the next time I see him?
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
isn't that kinda fraud then? cuz that evidence wasn't at the time of the incident ..

this is a very touchy situation .. honestly i got hit and run with 2 licence plate screw indents on my bumper .. since i got no proof i didn't even bother claiming hit and run .. the lack of proof will just result me paying the deductible
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Go ask the guy across your gf for the passat's owner info? Might as well try before coughing out the money. And the make-up scene is a fraud, don't even go there.

I always check for mark when somebody park close to me. I swear people are assholes. There was one time a tow truck park with his front half an inch from my rear on Pt Grey Rd.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #12
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

If you accidentally hit some guys car do you think you would still park behind them?
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
What if I were to *hypothetically* reenact the scenario and park my car close to his next time and take a picture and take down his vin and plate # the next time I see him?
Posted via RS Mobile
i think that'd be considered insurance fraud man. too many ways for you to get caught. i suggest you try to scare the guy into admitting he did it (not by threats of violence, maybe by threatening him with icbc?)

not going to be easy though
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
You can say Larru Chu did it
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote