REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
I don't get it

Vibram Five Fingers

anyone know where to buy these locally?
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_footwear.htm
Advertisement
PUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Mountain equipment coop

Just curious, but are you using them for barefoot running or weight lifting?
Posted via RS Mobile
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Mountain equipment coop

Just curious, but are you using them for barefoot running or weight lifting?
Posted via RS Mobile
was thinking of using it for both jogging and weight lifting o.o
Old 04-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Make sure you know how to run properly before running in five fingers. I had a friend that was out of commission a few weeks cause he was running incorrectly in his five fingers.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameboy54 View Post
Make sure you know how to run properly before running in five fingers. I had a friend that was out of commission a few weeks cause he was running incorrectly in his five fingers.
what does "running properly" mean?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Google it. You'r feet basically have to adapt to it and your running style, pace...etc as well or you're bound to injury yourself. I still feel safer running with proper running shoes.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPPY View Post
what does "running properly" mean?
Don't quote me on it, since I'm not a runner, but there should no heal strike with each stride.

Better off googling "barefoot running" and "running with five fingers".
Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
I don't get it

how does this shoe compare with the nike free? either 3.0 or 7.0
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Haven't tried vibram five fingers as of yet, but I've been using nike frees for the past 3 years. (I own three pairs of 7.0 and two pairs of 5.0.)

I would assume that it is akin to barefoot running. You would need to use more muscles and toes and there would be little to no cushioning to absorb the impact.

I was interested in picking up a pair in the past, but realized that it wouldn't make much difference for me as I would only be using them for weight lifting. (I'm fine with using Chuck Taylors for deadlifting and squatting) Another thing that seems as an inconvenience would have to be wearing/washing toe socks or not using socks all together and having to bare with stinky shoes. :P
Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Haven't tried vibram five fingers as of yet, but I've been using nike frees for the past 3 years. (I own three pairs of 7.0 and two pairs of 5.0.)

I would assume that it is akin to barefoot running. You would need to use more muscles and toes and there would be little to no cushioning to absorb the impact.

I was interested in picking up a pair in the past, but realized that it wouldn't make much difference for me as I would only be using them for weight lifting. (I'm fine with using Chuck Taylors for deadlifting and squatting) Another thing that seems as an inconvenience would have to be wearing/washing toe socks or not using socks all together and having to bare with stinky shoes. :P
how are the nike frees? do they feel more comfortable than normal running shoes? have you ever lifted in them? i dont know if i should get a 3, 5 or 7 too..
Old 04-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
I STILL don't get it

I have been running "barefoot" for about 6 years. I run barefoot on my treadmill at home and with minimal shoes outside.

I've owned the following shoes

Nike Free 3.0 v1
Nike Free 3.0 v2
Nike Free 4.0
Vibram Five Fingers
Terra Plana EVO 1
Terra Plana EVO 2
Onitsuka Tiger Running Tabi
Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66

My Nike Free's would always get destroyed after 200 or so km. It is usually at the toe box or the heel section (fabric behind the heel). That being said they were the most reasonably priced of this type of shoe. They are appropriate to learn how to run barefoot from.

I did not like my Vibram Five. I sold them on craigslist. Here are the reasons why I did not like them, though they are specific to me. Great shoes, though I wonder how long they will last distance wise.

1) Your toes have to "spread" when you transfer your weight during a stride. Having a big toe box is important. The Vibram Five doesn't have a toebox because your toes have their own sections. If you have weird sized toes you get some bunching and it is distracting (hard to keep a steady rate)

2) Cannot wear socks. I just personally feel that my distance running shoes require socks. These are not track spike shoes etc.

3) Hard to learn how to run barefoot with them. If the shoes do not fit you properly, you will start to heel strike. This is what I was finding on myself. I could correct it but it was specific to me.

4) Easy to get small injuries, such as stubbing a toe if you try to correct your stride

If you want to try out a "barefoot" running shoe pick up some water shoes, which are actually great for learning. Honestly if you don't like barefoot running, why waste money. MEC has them for cheap (IIRC ~$40). They also carry the Five Fingers for a reasonable ~$90

Last edited by notjustforshow; 04-29-2011 at 12:26 AM.
notjustforshow is offline   Reply With Quote