REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 04-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Snap-on tools -- what is really necessary?

I am getting a discount of 40% hand tools and 30% off electric tools from snap-on as a student doing my ast-1. However my offer expires at the end of June. I know snap on is expensive, so I want to take advantage of this offer.

I need help deciding what would be the best tools to purchase if I am planning to go into the trade. I have 2-3000 to spend and currently have no tools.

I am thinking:
  • flex/locking head ratchets
  • a metric socket set (deep, shallow, impact)
  • imperial socket set is a possibility-- might just cheap out and go mastercraft for now (im working at honda as a lot attendent-- hoping to move up)
  • metric wrenches (again not sure if i should shell out for sae)
  • flare nut wrenches (^ above)
  • screw gun & bits

I'm also wondering on your guys opinions on screwdrivers, spark plug sockets, impact guns (i was told IR is the way to go), breaker bar, prybars, pliers by snapon.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it
Advertisement
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

flex/locking ratchet - YES. get the 3/8 one. i LOVE mine.

metric socket set - you don't need to go so balls out with sockets yet, i used mastercraft sockets for so long and i've never had a problem. i've even use the bigger ones are bearing/bushing drivers to this day. the snap-on ones are nice though..

sae stuff - if you're planning on fixing hondas/japanese cars i wouldn't go crazy with the SAE stuff. i fix japanese and european cars day in and day out (and i worked for honda) and most of my sae tools are still mint looking. every now and then i need them for an old domestic car but i rarely see them where i work.

flare wrenches - YES SNAP-ON. don't cheap out on these. the cheap ones "spread" open and round nuts off.

the impact screw driver bits from snap-on are strong as hell and they carry the lifetime warranty even when you break them. if you do lots of brakes then they will break. snap-on screw drivers are nice too because the shank can't rotate inside the handle. but i've broken 2 in a row, i've got pics hahah it was awesome. their spark plug sockets can't really fail since theres no magnet or rubber piece that hangs on to the spark plug. they're sorta... tapered. the plug gets wedged into the socket. so they'll literally last forever or damn close. as for guns, i've got a mac 1/2" gun and it's more powerful then every IR gun i've ever used. not that IR guns are bad, but i'd take my mac 1/2" over any IR 1/2", especially the newer QTI models. BUT i've got the IR 3/8" gun and i love that thing so much. you'll want one of those eventually. probably the best tool i've ever bought! i've got the long 1/2" snap-on breaker bar and i've put that thing through some serious shit and it hasn't snapped, but it's expensive. i like my snap-on prybars, they've got metal caps on the handle so you can hammer on them as well. as for pliers, i've never had a problem with the mastercraft/craftsman ones i had. i used them for years and years before buying snap on ones. it's sorta hard to give you advice since you're just starting out, my bad. plus i'm sorta rambling, i'm tired as hell. good luck! shoot me a pm if you need mroe help
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

id get a small wire cutter. I've been through a lot of them and the snap-on one is amazing. Good for doing vehicle electric work or in-house stereo systems. The things is like $80 bucks and lasts forever.

and it also makes a bad-ass finger nail cutter..
Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The snap on rethreading set, unbelievably useful and not that expensive.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....&group_ID=1148
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
vso
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

SNAP ON ERRRRRRRTHANG
vso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Found this deal on another site I'm on:

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?1...arter-set-more

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

IMO.....buy tools that offer life time warranty

break = replace

i've been doing this fo like 4 years now...lol....build my set for like $250
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i only buy snap on tools besides vise grips and i love their new 1/2 impact gun
i rather spend abit more on quality
there are certain things i would buy that i use on a daily basis that helps me do my job faster and easier
get all metric stuff in snap on and sae from canadian tire
torx set is a must ive broken cheap sets from husky to canadian tire brands, the ends just chips off my snap on set is still mint
prybars are great too my co-workers have been borrowing my set because his crappy craftman ones are bent
nismosx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #9

For combination wrenches, if you're ever in the states, craftsman usa has lifetime warranty on all their hand tools. Their comb. wrenches are forged steel and forged in usa and affordable prices too. You can get them at sears. Also you cannot get them here, you have to get them in the states, the craftsman you can buy in canada is not made in usa theyre made in china and ive been told the quality isnt great.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

if you have the money to spend and you are getting your 40% discount, all you really need is the following from Snap-on over your entire career:

Metric combo wrenches (flankdrive-Plus) 7-22mm(omit 20mm)
Metric Flare Wrenches 8-15mm
Metric 3/8dr Shallow and Deep chrome sockets 8-19mm
Semi-Deeps are awesome but you probably wont need them right away.
Metric 1/4dr shollow and deep chrome sockets. 7-13mm
1/2dr flex-head 24" long straight handle 80tooth ratchet(better than a breaker bar for 98% of stuff)
3/8dr flex-head LONG bent handle 80tooth ratchet
3/8dr flex-head stubby bent handle 80tooth ratchet
1/4dr flex-head standard length ratchet
(don't buy locking handle ratchets!)
3/8dr universals 10-19mm
1/4dr universals: 1/4" & 7-15mm
3/8dr extension set + 24" & 36" extensions
1/4dr extension set + 24" locking extension(use this with your 1/4dr universals to get to really shitty hose clamps
3/8dr IMPACT universals
3/8dr IMPACT Shallow& deep sockets
3/8dr spark plug sockets
3/8dr universal Spark plug sockets

realistically, that is all you will ever really need beyond various specialty tools you will pick up along the way.
impact sockets are impact sockets. i have had a huskey 1/2" set for my 10+years in the trade and NEVER had and issue with them.
you'll still need 1-2 sets of cheap wrenches in both SAE and Metric for double nutting and one really cheap set in SAE and Metric for MAKING your own custom tools with.

DO NOT TOUCH ANY SNAP-ON or BLUEPOINT air or power tools! you can find better and cheaper tools from IR, Milwaukee, etc.
all your airtools should be IR
I prefer Milwaukee electrical tools, but IR and Dewalt both make great tools as well. if you get a brand, stick with that brand so all your battery packs are interchangeable!

Screw drivers are one of those things where it's nice to have snap-on however for the price you can have 2-5sets of the cheaper ones in your box. the snap-on stuff still wears out and there is no warranty on wear with snap-on... you have to break it.

a tool box is a HUGE investment and you can get away with a basic tool box from Sears/costco/homedepot/kms/princess for the first 5 years in the trade! a nice 30-40" wide roll cab with a matching top box will serve you well for those 5 years so don't go crazy. remember that only about 3% of the guys who go through a pre-app course will actually make it to being a licensed tech so until you have your ticket, don't spend your cash on a big fancy box! plus you are going to upgrade out of that tool box anyways, eventually, so don't spend huge dollars before you need to!

once you have your ticket, buy yourself a gift for making it and then it's snap-on tool boxes all the way. infinitely nicer than Mac/Matco/Sears/etc and hold their value!

it also should be noted that decent SAE tools are good to have in your tool box as a LOT of high performance parts coming out of the US will use SAE fasteners where there is not an integral connection to factory parts of the car. you might not need Snap-on tools but get a good set of wrenches and sockets in SAE anyways... your parents/friends/girlfriends cars may need them in the future!

- 96 LS400 bagged on Ordens
- 12 HD NRS
- 88 triple-black 930 Turbo Cabrio
- SC'ed European conversion 00 ZX3 **PARTED OUT & Scrapped**
- V6 SVT-C engine swap European conversion 00 ZX3 **SOLD**
Shmee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

definately pick up the dual bend clip prying tool. Taking clips off bumpers taking off sideskirts interior parts it works on everything and its only i think 29 dollars
whitehcr32gtst is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
RS controls my life!

craftsman screw drivers are mostly what i use, EXCEPT for philips bits. I tried Mac craftsman, canadina tire but no one fits as well as snap on. Most times any philips will work but every now and then you'll get a screw thats extra tight. If you don't have a good fitting bit, its almost guarantee to strip.

As far as tool boxes, snap on look the most esthetically pleasing, but I feel Mac are built more solid. I hear Matco are very well built too but there aren't any Matco dealers around here.
The box pic in my profile pic is the one i have, I can extend the top drawer out all the way with the drawer full and still lift my 180 lbs azz in the outer edge of the drawer with out any strain. Few guys around me have the snap on KRL 722 and there's no way we would think about trying that. Regardless, these are very nice boxes that will last more than a life time
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 PM   #13

^^^^^^
that's a standard snapon weight test done by the dealers. My fully laden 60" top drawer will support my 230lbs without complaint!

http://www.theundisputedchamp.com/

It's often a matter of personal preference... And the deal you get!
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #14

I would like to give an extended thanks to all of you guys for your input.

for a little background,

I just wrote my ast-1 ticket yesterday and feel pretty confident about it. I will find out in two weeks my result, have about 2 weeks to write my order for my discount, then hopefully be happily on my way for a year of working. Its been a big year for me as ive been lucky to be enrolled in a class where I could write my ast while in high school.

So again, I haven't forgotten about any of the information given and I am still making a finalized list!

Quick questions for Shmee though: Whats wrong with flex head + locking ratchets? And how often do you see yourself reaching for the universals because oh man, are they expensive.

Last edited by dn53; 05-27-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

im an apprentice and i can't afford snap-on
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #16

im a apprentice and all i buy is snap on i just pay weekly with my dealer
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #17

Mangoo,
it's a cool feature but after rounding of heads and slipping off numerous nuts&bolts it's more of an annoyance then aid. Every tech I know disables the lock on every ratchet and even my dealer admitted it's just a gimmick to sell more ratchets to stupid techs and apps. In my misguided youth, I bought a locking head and and within a month was asking about trading it in on a non-locking head version!

Most techs who know their stuff, just tighten the hinge on the flex head ratchets a little extra to get a head that doesn't flop around like a big soft cock but will still hold the position you set it at and move with you....

If you cannot afford snap-on them don't buy snap-on. Don't buy Mac either, or proto... Craftsman or mastercraft maximum are suitable until you can afford snap-on. You will be able to truly appreciate your new snap-on tools so much more after working with mastercraft/craftsman!
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehcr32gtst View Post
definately pick up the dual bend clip prying tool. Taking clips off bumpers taking off sideskirts interior parts it works on everything and its only i think 29 dollars
do u have the stock #??
hondak20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #19
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
this clip popper by blue point works amazing
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #20

if youre loooking for a nice tool box or anyone esle i would recommend snap on or mac
i personally like snap on tools but my boss has a mac box and they both are nice

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110622-00015.jpg (422.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by nismosx; 07-03-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #21

I wish I could afford a snap on box

I ended up getting a husky one on sale a small chest and bottom drawer

My tools should arrive in 3 weeks or so, thanks for all your guys' help. I ended up spending right under 4 grand so a bit more than i originally intended