REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Hyundai Tuscon anyone?

what with all the hate on the other Hyundai Genesis sedan thread, I figured I would try to create a more civilized thread for the Hyundai Tuscon.

this is a car that just launch for the 2010 model year. my family is seriously considering to buy this CUV, as it is attractive looking and priced very well against its Japanese competitors.

we are interested in a Tuscon GL model, which features a 2.4L 4cyl. 170hp or so. anyone have one, or know much about the engines in these things? I assume that this engine is used across different models as well. I am just concerned with reliability and possibly the ease of self maintenance.

and before everyone starts saying "Hyundai is shit!", pls note that Hyundai has come a long looong way from the Pony days. heck, they are regularly topping reliability and buyer satisfaction surveys. in the USA, all new Hyundais feature a 10year power train warranty. in Canada, we only get a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty. which is still great imo.
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Ok im gonna start this off,

Hyundai has better reliability and quality than any of its competitors. The paint quality on a hyundai is better than a Mercedes benz CLS. The 2.4 engines are the most fuel efficient and powerful in its class. You get waaay more than what you would get in a rav4 or CRV for the same price.

and you get all that backed up with a kickass powertrain warranty and awsome financial options, Whats there too lose?

and BTW, i drive a honda.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I've rented this car multiple times for work.

I like it. Nothing I can find wrong with it. It's not very 'exciting' but it feels like a CUV that I wouldn't mind having for myself...
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #4

^
which model did you rent? the Tuscon L or Tuscon GL?
did it have radio/volume controls on the steering wheel?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
It had radio controls on the wheel... I don't know which trim it was. It had the cloth interior, whic I didn't mind. I took it a little offroad, gravel, etc. Felt great.

I would recommend it for anyone who does a lot of outdoorsy type activity, it feels pretty rugged, but easy to drive in the city... it's better equipped than the CRV for the same price..
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

One of my ex co-workers have the top of the line model, she loves it and has not had any problems with it. (She had the car for about 7 months I think)
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 AM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
my dads friend has one in china, & its quite a smooth ride he says & he says that hyundai has step up there game for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soltaaa View Post
Ok im gonna start this off,

Hyundai has better reliability and quality than any of its competitors. The paint quality on a hyundai is better than a Mercedes benz CLS. The 2.4 engines are the most fuel efficient and powerful in its class. You get waaay more than what you would get in a rav4 or CRV for the same price.

and you get all that backed up with a kickass powertrain warranty and awsome financial options, Whats there too lose?

and BTW, i drive a honda.
you must have seen a mercedes with a bad respray, because the paint on a hyundai cannot compare to a mercedes top end sport saloon coupe.

mercedes use a pretty darn good quality paint and clearcoat. I've done quite a few details on them.

also thats why they have mercedes benz collision repair facilities.

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but i disagree due to my opinion.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thats where the problem is! people like soltaaa will believe what any Hyundai commercial says. It's all marketing.
Posted via RS Mobile
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I drive one in China (branded under a Chinese company that bought one of Hyundai's production plants) a 2.4l, front wheel drive, manual transmission. 9800km on it so far and so good; mostly highways and a bit off road; good ground clearence, plenty of torque and good on fuel (I managed 650kms on a full tank). Top speed's something to want though; it's around 3000rpm in 5th gear at 120kph with a 6200rpm redline. My Honda Odeysee is also 2.4l but some how makes more power. But anyway speed and power isn't what you're looking for in a modestly priced vehicle. The carry capacity is way more than the Honda (I can load about 30 cases of 20kg welding sticks in the back) and on rough roads the higher profile tires makes the ride much more comfortable. I would imagine the one made under Hyundai would be even better.

Oh wait.... now I realized the 2010 model in Canada is different than Asia, sorry my bad, I meant I drive the last gen Tuscon here...
Apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:02 AM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
you must have seen a mercedes with a bad respray, because the paint on a hyundai cannot compare to a mercedes top end sport saloon coupe.

mercedes use a pretty darn good quality paint and clearcoat. I've done quite a few details on them.

also thats why they have mercedes benz collision repair facilities.

I dont mean to sound like a dick, but i disagree due to my opinion.
Even low end Mercedes go through the same paint tests and same nano ceramic clear. my Merc's clear coat only suffered 1 light scratch on the clear coat when someone decided to projectile throw a whole plastic cup of bubble tea (the hard ones) onto the side of my vehicle when I parked it on the side of the road for 30 mins (totally legal spot too). Gotta love the kids in richmond...
and 08+ or so was when they started using the new revision of the nano ceramic clear
kyoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #12
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshiro View Post
Even low end Mercedes go through the same paint tests and same nano ceramic clear. my Merc's clear coat only suffered 1 light scratch on the clear coat when someone decided to projectile throw a whole plastic cup of bubble tea (the hard ones) onto the side of my vehicle when I parked it on the side of the road for 30 mins (totally legal spot too). Gotta love the kids in richmond...
and 08+ or so was when they started using the new revision of the nano ceramic clear
Yea it was in the car magazines back then that they were the first car company to use it (and patented it?); Hyundai probably don't do that for the Tuscon. But in any case, your family's looking for a reliable car, don't worry too much about the painting process long as
Apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #13

I believe its a PPG Ceramic clear and its particularly formulated for Mercedes however VAG has a Ceramic Clear blend too. BMW on the other hand is way behind on clear coat tech, real soft.
Nissan and Infintis, some have self curing clear coats depending on model year (extra soft but kinda melts the scratches away)
Subaru's clearcoat, ultimately soft soft soft
Otherwise theres no real other particular stand outs or surprises for clear coats.

but yeah I highly doubt Hyundai will use ceramic clear on their main stream line, would push up costs too much for them and would possibly require facility upgrades and even more astringent QC (not to mention they would have to change all their polishes as well)

but yeah the paintwork is probably none of your concern if its a family car, you could always apply a layer of of nano coatings ontop of the clear coat just to give it a bit more toughness.

And I did test drive the Tucson and personally I found it slightly underpowered cuz of its engine size but its smooth compared to my 2.3L + 4AT in my mazda 5. Its going to be fine for city driving though.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #14

^
did you test drive the Tuscon L? the 'L' model has a 2.0L engine. I wouldn't trust that engine, which is why we'll get the 2.4L.

thanks for the input so far guys. I did check out the car last week, but I didn't get to test drive it. I'm probably gonna test drive the two engines back to back some time this week.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #15

I test drove the Limited so its the 2.4L
but yeah 2.0L is too small if you're gonna have multiple inside. We had 4 adults inside when test driving the 2.4L.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Need to Seek Professional Help

I think it's spelled Tucson. Alot of people mistaken it for the word Tuscan and pronounce it wrong.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-Jo View Post
I think it's spelled Tucson. Alot of people mistaken it for the word Tuscan and pronounce it wrong.
A day or two ago, I saw one on the road, and on the back, it said TUSON.

Someone go check out a Hyundai dealership and report back if they really changed it to Tuson (so that people don't mispronounce it)!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Its still spell the same way "Tucson", I work at hyundai and we haven't seen any come in for any major problem yet, just very minor problem which can be fix quick, very good buy for the all the feature u get.
viet-nammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #19
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Lol @ paint comments, I drove my S500 in HK into a tight spot and the rear quarter panel touched one of those parking lot pillars, the whole car shifted, $100 to anyone who can point out where the mark is after I buffed it out.

Any thread on RS with the word hyundai will get shat on, everyone ignores the car itself and goes BOO HYUNDAI BOO!!!! IMO they make some desirable cars and they make some undesirable ones.

Anyways back on topic. IIRC when I went to check out the tucson at the dealership the 2.4 doesn't have direct injection like it does in the sonata. I think the style is awesome though and if you had to buy a cuv right now it seems like the freshest one on the market. I'd definitely wait for a new CRV to come out personally, the CRV drives very nice for normal city use, and with hyundai's new prices I doubt it would be any more expensive.

IMO the best model is the cheapest L model with the 2.0, it's not too much power down from the 2.4 but it has AC/power windows for 20k in a decent package (manual)
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
10psi aint enough...

Was on Victoria St today and spotted a white Tucson...kinda stood there checking out the interior...its not bad looking.

Nice dash, interior accents are fair...something decent if looking at that price range.
Havent driven one yet, so cant comment on performance/suspension...but ya never know!

Hyundais been stepping up in looks, its definitely something to consider, maybe not so much back in 2002-4...but their game has stepped up a lot.
Even the front end, sorta looks like a mad cheetah look LOL...

After driving smaller japanese imports for over 12 years...its a refresh to drive something bigger, roomier and just a fair price if on budget (like me! HAHHHAHA)
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

For roughly the same amount of dough, I'd give the Kia Sportage a harder look. I'm tempted to trade in my tired and worn 2.5RS wagon for one.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Aunt said she drove it in Arizona golf trip and it was very smooth and comfortable the whole way. Great on gas as well, even better than the Dodge caravan she rented the last time she was there
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote