REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
G
Banned (BBM)

Help with Hockey Skates!

Hey all,

I have a problem.

I recently got new skates (Mission) for 49.99$ (pretty good deal at SportChek). Anyways, When I tried it on (8E Size) it felt kind of tight all around, and more specifically, underneath and a little to the middle of my foot from my ankle. I told the rep this and he said that it should fit "snug" and that it might expand after they Bake it, and after you break it in. With this, I decided to get them and bake it on the spot (after you bake the skates you cannot return it). Since I just started playing ice hockey, why not get cheap skates? So, after baking them, they felt amazing (mainly cause it was hot and warm in the shoe and it felt really perfectly fit).

The next day I went to stick and puck and they definitely weren't as confortable as they were during baking. So I skated for around 2-2.5 hours and they felt like they were pinching the same spot (underneath ankle, a little to the mid of the foot). After I took them off, the spot was all red and there was also a blister (only the right foot though). I was recommended that I should buy something called Super Feet, which might help lessen this rubbing. So, two days after, I put in the Super Feet and went to a public skate for 1.5 hrs, felt a little pinching again in the same spot, and after the 1.5 hours, my left side was red, around the same magnitude as the first day, and my right foot had ripped the first layer of my skin off (circular shape), so that hurt like a bitch.

My question for all of you is, is there anyway to help attain to this? Should I sell the skates and get new ones? Is there a way to tape my feet so that they wont rip the skin or get blisters? I am around a size 9-9.5 in normal shoe size and these skates fit perfect length wise, and for width, it seems perfect except for that spot, which, is on the inside of the foot only....

Help!
Advertisement
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Every skate will take getting used to. Even after buying brand new skates identical to my old ones, my feet still hurt after the first couple weeks.
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

I had the same problem. Ripped skin on my foot

Most likely it is a bone sticking out on the inside of your foot. ALL skates i had tried on were brutal, and it wasn't until the guy helping me out punched a hole(so its an indent extending OUTWARDS) onto those exact spots did the pain go away. I've been skating and SNPing for about 5 months now and no longer have any of those problems you described.

Sorry to say, but you get what you pay for. I dont believe those skates will be able to hold a punch, but give it a try anyways. The guys at SC probably will not be able to help you out, try cyclone taylors or the Hockey Shop

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 do u go to vietnamese places for haircuts
trancehead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Try pushing through the pain a little bit and skate on it a little more. There will be a break in process to all skates, even after baking, some pain might still be there.

If after a few more skates there is an issue in still the same spot you can rebake or get them punched out.
Which sportchek did you buy them from?

If after there is still an issue, bring it in to the Richmond Sportchek/Hockey Experts and we can take a look and we do punching/baking as well in our store.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
G
Banned (BBM)

I went to the Lougheed Mall SportChek. I've skated on them for...2 sessions, so I guess I will muscle through to 5 sessions first. Sorry for the nooby-ness, but what's punching/punched/punch?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #6

didnt mean to sound like a snob in my first reply, but when i say you get what you pay for...in terms of skates--quality does definitely come at different price points. This isnt like spending 100$ on a MONSTER CABLE brand HDMI plug that operates the same as a 2$ ebay one.

back to punching, its just basically applying force in a specific area to create a protrusion in the boot AWAY from your foot. So to compensate for that weird bone you may have thats in constant contact with the skate, stress in that area will be relieved for that bone

[23-07, 02:03] shawn79 i find that at vietnamese place they cut ur hair like they cut grass
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
G
Banned (BBM)

^It's okay, I didn't take it as a snob response.

But this "punching" technique sound's like a good plan. Sportchek does this? How much does it cost?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #8

SolidPenguin looks like the resident SC worker he should know. I've only got mine done once and that was along with my skate purchase at The hockey shop. They're awesome if you want to head to surrey. Otherwise Cyclone taylors might be another good option as well

This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #9

Sportchek probably won't do it. Go to a legit hockey store.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-25-2011, 05:36 AM   #10

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
If after there is still an issue, bring it in to the Richmond Sportchek/Hockey Experts and we can take a look and we do punching/baking as well in our store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Sportchek probably won't do it. Go to a legit hockey store.
Posted via RS Mobile
Richmond Centre Sportchek does punching.
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
yes definately get them punched. i had the same problem b4 when i was getting my skates at the hockey shop. but they baked and punched them for me and i havent had an issue since
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #12

Lol. Our sportchek won't even cut sticks...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM   #13
G
Banned (BBM)

Anyone know if metrotown sportchek does this or not? And Approx how much does it cost?

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #14

Should be free.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #15

lol to the super feet remark, they just up-sold you for no reason at all.

if the pain is on the ankle area, spot punching will take care of it. not some foot bed.

but if its an older pair of missions, it is very common on that spot, just about the arch you'd say? infront of the ankle? come to cyclones and i'll take care of a fellow RS'er. pm me bud.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
G
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #16
G
Banned (BBM)

^Sick! PM'ed!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
G
Banned (BBM)

Alright, so I dropped by Cyclone Taylors and they said that I shouldn't punch it. Reason is that my boot is still relatively new and stiff so punching it wouldn't help it long term as it would just form back to normal. They recommended that I should skate on it a few more times and break it in more. If I was to punch it they said that I should do it one or two days before skating to see how well it would work. Sighhhhh guess I gotta man up!

I'm case you were wondering, it costs 5$ to punch and leave overnight.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetea View Post
lol to the super feet remark, they just up-sold you for no reason at all.

if the pain is on the ankle area, spot punching will take care of it. not some foot bed.

but if its an older pair of missions, it is very common on that spot, just about the arch you'd say? infront of the ankle? come to cyclones and i'll take care of a fellow RS'er. pm me bud.
superfeet may not 100% solve the problem
but you should NEVER punch a skate or skiboot without proper footbed

the reason is, with the stock footbed your foot is not stable, your arch is constantly changing shape, and your foot is constantly pronating (most of the time excessively). When you foot pronates, your ankle bone moves inside your skate, as well as your heel rotates, and your foot widens. All this change of shape occures inside your skate/boot.

So if an area in the skate is bother you, and you simply go and "create more space" by punching it out, your are simply creating more problems down the road. yes you will solve the temporary discomfort by creating more space for your foot to move into, but you just caused yourself more instability, and chance for futher problems down the road.

The ONLY TIME you should punch your skate/boot is when you foot is stable.

ask any EXPERIANCE boot fitter (skate or boot), and they will tell you the same thing. Dont always listen to what the hockey player tells you in an independent hockey shop. Most of them are great hockey players, but knows the technology of the product they sell (not always), but most of them do not know basic biomechanics of the foot.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
G
Banned (BBM)

^Interesting.

Question: What do you think I should do?

My current plan is to keep using SuperFeet and not punch it yet and play 2-5 more skates.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #20

My question is
Was the skate size correctly in terms of width, length and forward lean (brand with a more upright pitch in the boot vs a brand with more lean in the boot, not blade pitch)

Superfeet will stabalize ur foot, it will NOT solve any problems if the skate is sized wrong to begin with.

90% of problems in skate fit occurs when the skate is too big. This causes a few problems.

1.the widest part of the foot is no longer in the widest part of your skate, this can cause overall discomfort around the arch

2. Ur heel is moving, which enhances the pain caused by over pronation. (Imagine walking on ur tippy toes all day) which can cause arch cramping.

If ur skate is indeed sized correctly, then continue to wear them with superfeet (make sure they are trimmed/fitted properly). And wear proper hockey socks. Which are moisture wicking and are usually thinner. As moisture build up in socks can cause hot spots in skates as well.

If u think ur fitted wrong, or if continue wearing the skates and it doesn't get better....come see me and I'll give u back the $50 u paid for the missions and we can put it towards a pair of properly fitted skates. (Provided the skates are not trashed and u have ur recipt).
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #21

Sounds like a good plan. I would definitely do that first. Always use proper footbeds in any performance footwear (even regular shoes), like ski/snowboard boot, skate, cleats etc.
SolidPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidPenguin View Post
Sounds like a good plan. I would definitely do that first. Always use proper footbeds in any performance footwear (even regular shoes), like ski/snowboard boot, skate, cleats etc.
Was waiting to see when you would chime in on this thread. Haha
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #23
G
Banned (BBM)

^PM'ed both of you!

Thanks for all the help!

For those wondering how bad the pronation is here is a pic:

Warning:

Last edited by G; 04-27-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #24
RS controls my life!

try thicker socks maybe... or sell them and put some cash into good skates...

I tried to cheap out with my roller blades some sport check on sale $80 pair, they hurt like a bitch..... Ended up buying a $250 pair and it's heaven on earth skating on them.
Renxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiiipi View Post
My question is
Was the skate size correctly in terms of width, length and forward lean (brand with a more upright pitch in the boot vs a brand with more lean in the boot, not blade pitch)

Superfeet will stabalize ur foot, it will NOT solve any problems if the skate is sized wrong to begin with.

90% of problems in skate fit occurs when the skate is too big. This causes a few problems.

1.the widest part of the foot is no longer in the widest part of your skate, this can cause overall discomfort around the arch

2. Ur heel is moving, which enhances the pain caused by over pronation. (Imagine walking on ur tippy toes all day) which can cause arch cramping.

If ur skate is indeed sized correctly, then continue to wear them with superfeet (make sure they are trimmed/fitted properly). And wear proper hockey socks. Which are moisture wicking and are usually thinner. As moisture build up in socks can cause hot spots in skates as well.

If u think ur fitted wrong, or if continue wearing the skates and it doesn't get better....come see me and I'll give u back the $50 u paid for the missions and we can put it towards a pair of properly fitted skates. (Provided the skates are not trashed and u have ur recipt).
Posted via RS Mobile
That's how you determine how a skate fits?

1. Width
2. Length
3. Forward Lean

You're missing one important element but that's cool.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote