REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Starting off with makeup. Tips and advice?

I'm going to high school in 5 months and I'm really insecure about my face (acne scars and blemishes). I want to hide them with makeup (foundation/concealer), but I heard that makeup makes you break out. I would also like to wear some eyeliner and mascara, not too much though. By the way, I'm 14 and turning 15 in June. Do you have any tips/advice on how to start out with makeup?
Advertisement

Last edited by gallavishva; 05-06-2011 at 04:06 AM.
gallavishva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,419 Times in 917 Posts

Follow what she does.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Director of RS Cares

Ah, teenage years.

Well first off, what type of skin are you? Dry? Oily? Combination? Are you using any kind of face wash/skin care line to clean? Make up can enhance your features but if you're breaking out I'd take care of that first. Adding make up to your acne/blemishes will only make it worse.

Since you are a student I'm assuming you're on a budget. FOr a good face wash, check out lines such as Biore, Neutrogena etc. And remember to drink lots of water to clear out the toxins in your body. Your acne problem could be due to your diet as well. If not, another option is going on the birth control; but you might have to test out of a few brands as some can help you clear it up or make it even worse.

Tyra had a great segment on her show with a 5 minute face. This works for me as a working professional/and a woman in her mid 20's enjoying her day off.

1. Apply day cream on your face before putting any make up on your face. A product I like to use is jergens day cream with a hint of bronzer.

2. Concealer/Foundation

Now I don't know too much about concealer and foundation but I use the Almay's Nearly Naked Liquid Makeup. It goes on very smooth and I have been using this for years. It'll hide the small blemishes you may have and give you a more smoother looking face when applying the rest of your make up.

3. Eyes:
- (one of each) mascara, eye liner, eyelash curler, light brown eyeshadow (with glimmer), white eyeshadow

Brush on the eyeshadow of your choice on your lids (sparingly), Line the top of your eye with your eyeline (I prefer a liquid eye liner), curl your lashes for about 5 seconds each side, mascara the top and bottom of your lashes, and then let it dry for about 15 seconds. After, apply some eyeliner on the bottom (use a dry kohl eyeliner for this) of your waterline. This is the fleshy part between your bottom lashes and eyeball. It may feel funny at first but you'll get use to it.

4. BLUSH!

For a day time look, I'd go with something for pink while for night time a little mroe bronzy colour. When you apply it to your face, remember to knock off the excess powder into the sink so your brush applies the blush evenly to your face. The blush should only sit on the apples of your cheeks, so remember to smile when you put on any kind of blush.

5. The white eyeshadow.

You don't have to but you can brush a little bit of white powder to highlight your eyes (under your "eyebags" or the space in between your eyelid and eyebrows.

6. Lips

Some chapstick and a bit of gloss.

As a young girl, there's nothing more terrible than putting more make up than you need. You're 15, so enjoy your youthful skin/beauty while you can.

And I'm not a professional so these steps are just what works for me. You can always ask the beauty girls at shoppers to help you out as well or check out Michelle Phan on youtube. She's a genius!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

wait, 14yr old girl on rs....ummmm.....

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Use as little of it as possible.

While you may be tempted to cover up every blemish now, I assure you, you will make it worse for doing so and no one sees the flaws in your skin to the extent you do. And while you might think slapping tons of make up on makes you look more mature, it really has the opposite effect.

I refused to use foundations and cover ups in high school and at the time many of my girlfriends thought it was odd. Now, 15 years later they all look about 15 years older than I do, from having that crap suck the moisture out of their faces for the last 2 decades.

Miss Crayon has some good advice, I would add to what she said - don't scrimp and buy cheap stuff. It's better to have less product and have them all be higher quality and less damaging to your skin than to buy a shit load of cheap product that will block your pores, make you break out and blemish more.

Also, as soon as you're home for the evening, scrub that stuff off your face to keep your pores clear and clean, and let your skin breath. I've always found make up wipes, while expensive make this easier. Cover girl's got a nice eye and lip make up remover that's easy to use too. Besides that the only things I've ever used on my face are baby soap and aloe vera moisturizer.

Lastly, to save money while buying the good stuff - get a Shopper's Optimum points card and keep an eye on their web site (or get on their email list). Keep an eye out for when they have their 20x points on make up events (sometimes it's even 50x points on specific brands) and buy the bulk of your product then. Later you can cash in the points you gain to buy more product later. Keep an eye out for sales and deals on your favorites and stock up when they go on sale.

Good luck!

Last edited by TheNewGirl; 04-27-2011 at 11:56 AM.
TheNewGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Retired moderator

TheNewGirl and Miss Crayon's got some awesome advice.

But ultimately, the less truly is more. The most important thing that changes your whole appearance is your eyebrows, go get them professionally groomed. Your eyebrows will change your WHOLE look as well as your hairstyle.

Get a hairstyle to match your face. Get a good conditioning mask on your hair, your natural hair colour is best. Get a good night's rest, swipe on some mascara and a nice gloss and go in there with confidence and a smile. A CFO of an international company once gave me the best advice when I was starting my first job overseas in a large corporation, he told me the best first impression isn't about how good you look, it's about how groomed and put together you look. Smile, confidence, something suitable for your age, and just look...fresh and clean. Not fake and uncomfortable. If you are in clothes and makeup that make you uncomfortable, you will show it. So just be comfortable

Start figuring out a skincare routine that works for YOU. Do some research, asks some professionals. When I was your age my friends and I were all about slathering makeup on, not caring about my diet or skincare and now as we're older, we live with acne scars, sun spots, blemishes, and regret not caring for our skin, rather then throwing things on it.

Mascara I like Lash Blast it's like under $10 at any drug store. And gloss...I really like the Sephora brand gloss. It's a little more than what you normally pay for at drugstore price but it's something you wear often so it's a good investment, think it's $12 for a gloss?

Get a really good makeup remover. The pigments from your makeup will seep into your pores and you'll be dealing with it if you don't remove all your makeup. Try makeupalley.com they have great reviews on useful, cheap drugstore products. But as TheNewGirl said, if it comes to your skin, go for a higher quality, might as well bring a lunch to school everyday and use the money on your skin. Trust us, when you get to a certain age (sooner than you think)...it will not cooperate with you, it'll wrinkle adn suddenly the many years out tanning will come back to haunt you.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません

Last edited by Girl; 04-27-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Another thing most teenagers don't do is eat well enough. Make sure you have a good diet and you aren't missing any nutrients. Always wear sunblock even if it's cloudy. Most day creams have an spf in them. Drink lots of water. all these things will help your skin be healthy and blemish free. Also, make sure you sleep enough. Dark circles under the eyes and puffiness can be reduced by sleeping well.

Less is definitely more when it comes to makeup.

I find that my teenage clients usually wear WAYYYY too much makeup, and the wrong kind for their skin type.

The next thing they do wrong is that they don't cleanse their skin properly. do a double cleanse if you need to, and then tone. Always moisturize afterwards.

And girl is right. Dont try to do your brows yourself at first. or you'll end up like me and have very sparse brows that need to be filled in daily. it's a pain in the arse.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #8
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
i like how everybody assumes OP is a girl, even though nowhere in his/her post did he/she state that they were a girl

wouldn't be the first time i saw some dude walking around with makeup on
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
i like how everybody assumes OP is a girl, even though nowhere in his/her post did he/she state that they were a girl

Well, you can also view her profile and see female listed as the gender... just sayin'
Machi604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2011, 12:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post

hey nothing wrong with a dude wearing makeup!

one of my old classmates wore more makeup than the girls. and he was freaking hot.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #11

Thanked 2,474 Times in 543 Posts
hey girls anyone video tutorials of yourself applying the makeup?

RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
PM me your number lets have some one on one so I can show you the ropes
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Go with proactiv, and screw the makeup!
KamalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #14
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
OP is a spammer. Since most people gave serious helpful answer's, I'll leave the thread up
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote