REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 04-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Bike Service

Does anyone know a good place to get your bike serviced?
I went over to pacific yamaha and they told me it would roughly cost $300 or so for a basic service. Is that about normal pricing?
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Could you elaborate on what "basic" service is?

If it's a spring tune up, then yes. $300 is about right. Check out Bill @ 5th Gear (next door from Pac Yamaha) if you're in Richmond. Bill's prices are pretty good and he's a good mechanic. Your other option is Bayside Performance on Fraser and Ted @ EMS (Essential Motorcycle Services.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #3

By basic I mean oil change, brake fluid top up. Checking tire pressures etc. Stuff to make sure I'm safe on the road
Posted via RS Mobile
lundyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,927 Times in 1,873 Posts
No, $300 is NOT normal. Bayside Performance on SW Marine Drive.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
For dealership prices, $300 is about the going rate for Spring tune up service I believe. It really depends on what they're doing. Pac Yamaha can sometimes really jerk customers off by gouging them with retarded prices.

Try the other places I listed. Prices should be near or a bit lower than $300, but maybe not by much. Perhaps some of the more experienced guys can chime in.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Got charged about $200 for oil change, fluid refills, lubing, and tightening torque wrenches at suzuki.

All shit I can learn to do by myself, so I'm gonna take the bike mechanic 101 course for like $200 at PRS once I get my license back, so I can spend $40 dollars on just the materials and take half an afternoon doing all this.
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
5th gear is pretty good. bill definitely knows what he's doing.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

5th gear in Richmond or Essential services on Marine dr just east of Oak street. You can buy a labour saver card at Essential to get a better deal.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundyt View Post
By basic I mean oil change, brake fluid top up. Checking tire pressures etc. Stuff to make sure I'm safe on the road
Posted via RS Mobile

I went to EMS to do the exact stuff you've listed, on a bike I had just bought, and the total after taxes cost me $110. If it helps, it was a GSXR 600 and a general inspection of the entire bike, oil change, brake fluid and lever adjustments
Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

If you plan on owning the bike for a while, I strongly recommend you pick up a service manual and some tools. Learn to do basic and routine maintenance on your own and you will save a bundle over the years. For services that require special tools or more time than you have to learn, Ted at EMS is great.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I've owned my bike less than a year and I've already had more than 1/2 the bike in various pieces. Bikes are so simple to work on, I cannot imagine needing a course unless you have no mechanical skills or automotive knowledge. Spend the money on a service manual and some tools instead.

Roll up your sleeves and get dirty! Don't be afraid to try, especially since there's many members on here and BCSB who are willing to give advice or a hand if you're stuck.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #12

yeah can't really say ive ever worked on anything with an engine. If anyone is in richmond and wants to run through it with me one time that would be awesome. Dinner/lunch my treat!!! don't worry you dont have to put out after