REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

View Poll Results: In hindsight would you have taken it to the shop to have it painted?
Yes, Rather have the shop to do it 22 53.66%
No, I'd do it myself 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
For the guys who have painted their own lips/sideskirts

Since it's spring and it's time to get some work done on the car, I decided I'm going to paint my Polyurethane front lip.

It's either going to a shop to have it done or DIY. (still looking for a shop, anybody have recommendations on a relatively cheap paint shop?)

I have no experience in the painting aspect so this will all be entirely new to me but I found a fairly thorough DIY which I'm sure I can follow.

However, the question is, for the people that HAVE done it DIY style, was it worth the work or would it have been better for you to just taken it to a shop and have it done for $200-250 in hindsight?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Last edited by illicitstylz; 04-26-2011 at 01:48 AM.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Using the custom mix spray cans available at auto-body supply shops and taking your time to do it right you can get excellent results. I'd at least attempt the DIY, if you decide your not happy with the results then take it to a shop and your only out an extra $25 for paint and some time.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
link to the said DIY if theres a link? tia !

im in a similar situation myself!
if my car was plain color without flakes i would do it myself
but my car has flakes so im not sure if i should diy my new sideskirts :/
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
was it worth the work or would it have been better for you to just taken it to a shop
If you're planning to DIY because you think you can do a better job yourself I doubt it, but if you're planning to DIY to save a bit of money and also gain some experience I say go for it. Just make sure you take the time to prep it and you should have decent results.

Is your lip in new condition or is it banged up?
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Dude, for $100-$150, I'd take to a shop in a heartbeat. It takes a lot of patience and some skills to match the paint on your car.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
^ pretty true but it is good to get some experience on these things. another thing is, once painted you'll want to clearcoat it as well. i have yet to come across a spray can clearcoat that matches oem finish at all. if you aren't too picky about this, i say go for it.

if you are only looking to spray it black, i recommend Dupli-Color Trim Paint. super easy to use and fairly hard to fuck up even if you over spray a little.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Can of spray paint's usually around $10 give or take a few bucks depending on quality and then a little sandpaper you have lying around and give it a go.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737! View Post
link to the said DIY if theres a link? tia !

im in a similar situation myself!
if my car was plain color without flakes i would do it myself
but my car has flakes so im not sure if i should diy my new sideskirts :/
http://www.ej8squad.com/thread-10494.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
If you're planning to DIY because you think you can do a better job yourself I doubt it, but if you're planning to DIY to save a bit of money and also gain some experience I say go for it. Just make sure you take the time to prep it and you should have decent results.

Is your lip in new condition or is it banged up?
Well i'm going for bang for the buck, it's a banged up lip so I'm not too worried about quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
^ pretty true but it is good to get some experience on these things. another thing is, once painted you'll want to clearcoat it as well. i have yet to come across a spray can clearcoat that matches oem finish at all. if you aren't too picky about this, i say go for it.

if you are only looking to spray it black, i recommend Dupli-Color Trim Paint. super easy to use and fairly hard to fuck up even if you over spray a little.
Thanks for the tips!

if i were to do it myself, these would be the steps:

clean w/acetone
wetsand 400
clean
adhesion promotor (for polyurethane flex)
primer
wetsand 1500
primer
wetsand 1500

paint coat
wetsand 2000
clearcoat

Last edited by illicitstylz; 04-25-2011 at 10:35 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Please post pics of the result!
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 AM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

ask vdub333 for his experience gloss painting a large area
danizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:00 AM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
paint coat
wetsand 2000
clearcoat
might want to wetsand the clearcoat too and then polish it to smooth
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #12
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
your only out an extra $25 for paint and some time.
Custom cans at Lordco are $40-50 depending if they are metallic or not, I just had one made.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
A few comments:

1. If you're doing a metallic flake, get a shop to do it. Its very hard for a DIYer to get the flakes to setup right, hell its hard for a shop to get right. My car has various sections painted by different shops over the years when I had work done - while all the silver sections look reasonably close, I can tell they are off by a bit from various angles cause of the way it was repainted and the way the flakes setup.

2. If you don't care about imperfections then go for it. Otherwise take it to a shop. You'll never find an environment free of dust, so any painting will get some dust particles in it. For a front lip I wouldn't care since its the most likely to chip and then any imperfections won't shop up anyways.

3. If you DIY, maybe invest instead in protective film. Every DIY job I have done has chipped easier than when a shop has done it - as spray bombs just cannot match the quality of paint at a shop, and a shop can bake it so the paint sets up harder.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts

A few hours worth of work, and was painted by alternating leftover bright red brake caliper paint and a darker cherry red wood paint. It worked. Obviously depending on how nice the vehicle is the budget approach isn't necessarily the best option, but if it's not going to undergo close scrutiny you can probably get it done for a few hour's work and a couple of dollars worth of paint.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Going to be tackling this Monday by myself DIY style, any last minute tips?

I read the cleaning you can just use dishwashing soap to get rid of the wax/grease right?