REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

3 month driving ban

In November of last year, as a an L, I got pulled over for speeding and a ticket was issued. Then in January of this year, again as an L my car was involved in a vehicular accident that totaled it. It was at an intersection and because it was my fault , I was issued a ticket for 129.1 in the MVA. I didn't dispute it because it was my fault. However, I was taken to the hospital and the officer seemed genuinely regretful of having to issue this ticket for me since I was being cooperative/ in pretty rough shape. Anyways, about 3 weeks later I went in for my N test and because I had not paid of the speeding ticket I had gotten in November (due to being broke), and because incurring any infractions as an L would mean that I was on probation, and because I had received a ticket during my accident I assumed that I would have been suspended and ICBC would not let me take my N test. But much to my surprise, ICBC only recognized the speeding ticket and let me took my N test after paying for the speeding ticket (I guess I was only on probation and not fully suspended). I asked them if there were any other tickets in the system/suspensions and they said no, it was just that one speeding ticket from November.

Regardless, I passed my test and got my N and all tickets were paid for. This was in January. for the last 3-4 months I've been driving everywhere and I've been stopped a few times at road checks, and after checking my license the officers found no outstanding tickets or fines, whatsoever and so they just let me go through. I've been a damn good driver during this time and never drink and drive. I've never received one single bill from ICBC asking me to pay for the ticket (or ANY mention of it whatsoever from ICBC) I was supposed to have gotten in my accident and I assumed the officer feeling genuinely bad tore it up and let me off.

That is, until today. I got a random letter from Victoria saying upon reviewing my driving record, they have decided to suspend me for three months. Which sucks because this came out of the blue with absolutely no warning, more than 3 months AFTER they let me take my N test and AFTER my accident. Thinking that everything was in the past now and my license was a clean slate, I had gotten a job that requires the use of my car and planned road trips in the summer.

The two prior infractions that were on my record were the speeding ticket in November- MVA, 146.1 and the one from my accident in Jan- MVA 129.1. These were both incurred while I was an L. This suspension came out of the blue since like I said, I've had to pass through multiple road checks and came out clean.
I've also learned that in order for my case to be reviewed, I will need to pay 100$ - which may or may not get rid of my suspension or even reduce it.

My question is: does anyone have any experience in this matter? Do I stand any chance in an appeal/reduction? Thanks for reading- sorry for the long post.
Advertisement

Last edited by white_guilt; 04-29-2011 at 11:01 PM.
white_guilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You should contact ICBC and ask them about their process but my impression was that anything you do with your L carries over to your N and that it's only your class 5 test that really clears the slate at all for you.

What's probably happened is they didn't get to reviewing your case until now (which is why everything was okay a few days ago but not today), they have a very large stack in Victoria to go over.

My sister appealed a suspension on her N, she didn't get rid of it entirely but she did have it reduced to 1 month which while difficult for her (she needs her car for work too) was doable.

Last edited by skidmark; 04-30-2011 at 07:19 AM.
TheNewGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Going from a class 7 > 5 doesn't technically "wipe the slate clean", it's just with a class 5, you will not be prohibited from driving with as few points as you would be a Class 7. I believe the generally accepted number is 4+ points with an N. If you rack up a whole bunch of tickets during the N stage, and get your Class 5 before they are put into the system, you can still expect the DPP bill in the mail.

Unfortunately the infractions - (5) pts total - are considered unacceptable for both L & N, so with either license you are hooped.

Just thank your stars you were still allowed to take your N test, and your Learners wasn't reset to the start of 12 months.

Also, the DPP bill will come when you need to renew you license, I believe it will be $250.

Unfortunately hindsight is always 20/20, but ideally, it would have been best to dispute it, and during the almost guaranteed 1yr+ wait, you could have chosen to pay & plead guilty at any time before the trial and take the prohibition when it was most convenient for you.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Thnx guys, I will appeal it for sure. I just have to somehow come up with 100$ ASAP. FML.

TheNewGirl: when your sister appealed it, how long did it take for them to get back to her? I would like to get this taken care off ASAP to be able to keep driving/reduce my prohibition.

At least, I never had to pay for my second ticket- which probably would have been about 130$.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I just got a 3 month suspension too. You have to wait 2 years again after your probation is over to get your class 5. It's ridiculous because my two violations did not put any of my passengers or other civilians at risk. Illegal U-Turn (It was at night and there were NO other cars on the road), and over packing by 1 passenger (we were going to a McDonalds at lunch which is a 2 minute drive from my house). In the letter they said "it'll be best interest of public safety to prohibit me from driving". If I was speeding or driving recklessly I would understand but they didn't even review what my violations were but rather I had 5 points.

A guy I know hit a biker and caused him to be sent to the hospital in critical condition is still allowed on the road. Another buddy of mine rear-ended two cars because he was texting, he's still on the road now. ICBC is a joke.
hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I find it pretty funny that u think that being a good driver and not drinking and driving during your N stage for a whopping "3 months" is some type of an accomplishment. I didnt even think it was possible to get a speeding ticket in your L and also causing an accident which was your fault on another occasion.

Anyways all you can do is appeal the for the suspension to be reduced. There aint nothing u can really do about not getting suspended. And $100 should be the least of your worries.

and hawkman. All ICBC is trying to do is encourage better driving habits especially very early during your learning phase. But usually causing accidents or being in them dont get you prohibited from driving. Tickets and Drunk driving do.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkman View Post
I just got a 3 month suspension too. You have to wait 2 years again after your probation is over to get your class 5. It's ridiculous because my two violations did not put any of my passengers or other civilians at risk. Illegal U-Turn (It was at night and there were NO other cars on the road), and over packing by 1 passenger (we were going to a McDonalds at lunch which is a 2 minute drive from my house). In the letter they said "it'll be best interest of public safety to prohibit me from driving". If I was speeding or driving recklessly I would understand but they didn't even review what my violations were but rather I had 5 points.

A guy I know hit a biker and caused him to be sent to the hospital in critical condition is still allowed on the road. Another buddy of mine rear-ended two cars because he was texting, he's still on the road now. ICBC is a joke.
Sounds lame dude. Ahh well I'm sure you're a good driver , and I guess we have no choice in the matter but to bite the bullet and take our probation (aka more ways to put money in ICBC's money hungry pockets -250$ reinstatement fee + 31$ and 100$ appeal fee. RIGHT...) or try and get it reduced. I know I'm a fucking amazing driver, and those were probably the last tickets I'll ever get in my life. What an annoying 3 month detour.

Last edited by white_guilt; 04-30-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Guilt> I think the appeal on her suspension was pretty fast. Much faster then appealing a ticket would have been. Like a week or 2?

Hawk> You broke the law and got busted. Twice. I do not understand why people who are clearly guilty complain when they have to face consequences.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

YOU're a joke.....
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
(It was at night and there were NO other cars on the road)
The officer chased you down on foot??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #11

stfu thenewgirl and revrav, ICBC's reason for taking me off the road was because they thought I was dangerous to the public as stated in the letter, not because I broke two minor laws. As I already said, I did not put my passengers or any other civilians at risk. And I'll say again, a guy I know sent someone to the hospital because of his bad driving habits and his license did not get suspended. Why aren't dangerous drivers taken off the road? Go kiss more of ICBC's ass please. It's obvious that this N stage is a scam for money, why doesn't the rest of the world have it? or the rest of canada? because BC is so advanced in driving techniques? LOLOLOL. Even if I did not get ticketed, I would still be complaining FYI.

skidmark: He was a bicycle cop and rode onto the road to cut me off, I could've maneuvered around him and sped away easily and I probably won't be in this situation right now. True he would have probably called backup, but if he couldn't remember or catch my license plate I would be a free man walking

Last edited by hawkman; 05-01-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
skidmark: He was a bicycle cop and rode onto the road to cut me off, I could've maneuvered around him and sped away easily and I probably won't be in this situation right now. True he would have probably called backup, but if he couldn't remember or catch my license plate I would be a free man walking
You are a truly irresponsible driver if you would ever think of these and posting them on a public forum.

The officer was on a bike, which indicated that the intersection was NOT entirely empty at all!! You could have ran him over during your illegal U-turn.

Please read the following link and see how "minor" an illegal U-turn is. http://www.shturem.org/index.php?section=news&id=30831

Last edited by cococly; 05-01-2011 at 01:18 AM.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #13
I am Hook'd on RS

people just make me laugh all the time, its awesome... keep it up!
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #14
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
stfu thenewgirl and revrav, ICBC's reason for taking me off the road was because they thought I was dangerous to the public as stated in the letter, not because I broke two minor laws. As I already said, I did not put my passengers or any other civilians at risk. And I'll say again, a guy I know sent someone to the hospital because of his bad driving habits and his license did not get suspended. Why aren't dangerous drivers taken off the road? Go kiss more of ICBC's ass please. It's obvious that this N stage is a scam for money, why doesn't the rest of the world have it? or the rest of canada? because BC is so advanced in driving techniques? LOLOLOL. Even if I did not get ticketed, I would still be complaining FYI.

Please stay off the roads until your callous and immature attitude subsides....
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
i really want to fail hawkman
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
You are a truly irresponsible driver if you would ever think of these and posting them on a public forum.

The officer was on a bike, which indicated that the intersection was NOT entirely empty at all!! You could have ran him over during your illegal U-turn.

Please read the following link and see how "minor" an illegal U-turn is. http://www.shturem.org/index.php?section=news&id=30831
An illegal U-turn is pretty minor, that's why its ONLY 2 points. Driving contrary to restriction is 3 points (overpacking). The cop was on my side of the road, when I U-Turned he rode across the road to catch me. There wasn't a "NO-U TURN" sign at the intersection. But the cop told me all U-TURNS in BC are illegal and only some roads have the sign. Tell me that any of you haven't made a U-TURN before. And I know it sounds immature but that was one way I could've handled the situation. I knew I did something wrong for me to be pulled over so I'm going to accept the consequence (Paying the ticket). The prohibition was unfair.

Senna- I'll be off the road for 3 months don't worry . I'm one of the few that actually drive at the speed limit but of course you stubborn people won't admit that my prohibition was unfair because you're biased against Novice drivers. Unlike the TS, I didn't get ticketed for speeding, a far more dangerous violation. IMO, I paid the tickets already (owed up to the consequences), but unless my violations were DANGEROUS or would put me at a position that will ENDANGER other civilians (only violation arguable would be the Illegal U-TURN, nevetheless its only 2 points =/= enough points for a prohibition) I would understand why they would prohibit me from driving. In the letter they said I was a threat to public safety, but based on the written evidence (my two violations), I'm barely a threat to public safety, maybe if I was SPEEDING, DRUNK DRIVING, or, TEXTING WHILE DRIVING, my prohibition would be understandable.

xilley- I don't know how these forum tools work but you've been Failed 99 Times and you only have 472 posts so I doubt anything you say is even going to contribute to the discussion.

Last edited by hawkman; 05-01-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #17
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Hey Hawkman, I may be abit hammered at the moment so please take what I say for granted: you and I both made our mistakes and whether or not we agree with our penalties, the fact of the matter is that we made our mistakes. What can we do in such cases? Well we can learn from it. I am sure you and I both know that we're good drivers, and we can only make sure we never commit these things again. I admit I do not at all agree with our prohibitions and trust me, I fucking LOATHE ICBC as much as you do. But the thing is we did what we did, and we just have to face the consequences. Let's just appeal our suspensions, and hope to get them reduce and never make the same mistakes again. Peace !
Old 05-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #18

Yeah I know, we have to make mistakes for us to learn. Whatever's done is done. Can't change the past.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #19
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
stfu thenewgirl and revrav, ICBC's reason for taking me off the road was because they thought I was dangerous to the public as stated in the letter, not because I broke two minor laws.
I'm not hating or anything, but the reason why they issued you the letter IS because you broke those 2 laws. No?

As for the guy being able to take your test after a ticket in your L....

I'm a little surprised that you were able to take your N test, but I've never really heard of anyone having a ticket during their L stage.

I'm quite sure if you received a ticket during your N period even just one, you wouldn't of been able to take your class 5 test, as like someone said before the period gets extended of having your N.

I expect they will lessen the suspension for you based on the relatively low level of violation and that you genuinely need your car for work.

Wish you the best of luck bud! Please let us know the outcome!!

Last edited by sAMGc; 05-01-2011 at 05:54 AM. Reason: ending
sAMGc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
FYI....the graduated system used in BC is very similar to those used in countries around the world. We didn't invent it, they saw the benifits and results in the countries using it so it was adopted and adapted for BC.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:37 AM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_guilt View Post
I fucking LOATHE ICBC as much as you do.
Pssssst.... ICBC didn't prohibit you; the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles did. ICBC also doesn't make they rules, and they don't enforce them. Don't shoot the proverbial messenger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Hawk> You broke the law and got busted. Twice. I do not understand why people who are clearly guilty complain when they have to face consequences.
I don't understand why some people think the laws are perfect. Are you a judge or something?
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #23
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Even if you think they're not perfect, or you think it/they don't suit you, it's no reason to break the law. If you do, you get burned. Simple as that. Are you an anarchist or something?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #24
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
I think both of you two got off easy and you should stfu and be thankful
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #25
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Pssssst.... ICBC didn't prohibit you; the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles did. ICBC also doesn't make they rules, and they don't enforce them. Don't shoot the proverbial messenger.
oh in that case, I hate that douche.