REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 05-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

University of Fraser Valley

Hey everybody. Just wanted to know if anybody knows anything about UFV. I'm going to Abbotsford/Pitt Meadows for commercial flight training and thought it would be a good idea to go to UFV since it's 10 minutes away from the Abbotsford airport making things really convenient. I'm going to UFV for their Computer Information Systems program, and aiming for a diploma(maybe degree), but was wondering if it was worth it at this school? Could you get a job with one of their diploma or degrees, and are their programs actually good? I want to do IT stuff on the side for extra dough whether it be a website or just IT stuff, but am I better off going to a better school to learn this kind of stuff?
Advertisement
donthatethegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
http://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1ASUT_enCA414CA414&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=the+truth+about+degrees#sclient=psy&hl=en&rlz=1C1ASUT_enCA414CA414&source=hp&q=it+doesnt+matter+where+you+get+your+undergraduate+degree+from&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&fp=f890a36b42d1422b
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
prove me wrong twitchyzero
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
It does for certain areas, and it doesn't for others.

If you have an Arts degree, it doesn't really matter where you get it from. If you have an Engineer Degree from MIT, then for sure, it's helluva a lot better than an engineering degree from some shitty university.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Depends where you are planning to work in the future. Now don't quote me on this, but in my humble opinion, all these newly accredited universities have, in effect, created a two tier system. That is, while UFV is by all technical means a University, it is still regarded by many as second tier to say UBC or SFU. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure UFV is a great school, I'm just saying it might not the same recognition as the other more "mainstream" schools. It probably won't affect you if you intend to work in the GVRD, but if you head out East, they will have most likely never heard of the school. Hell, they probably don't even know of SFU out there LOL. Anyways, if it is at all possible I would do your degree elsewhere. Just my thoughts though.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote