REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #51
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
damn gonna give that recipe a try... i messaged you on fb stevenduang but i guess my question is answered in this thread eh?

making a pork tenderloin for couple friends tonight, then prime rib the follow week!
Advertisement

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #52
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
damn gonna give that recipe a try... i messaged you on fb stevenduang but i guess my question is answered in this thread eh?

making a pork tenderloin for couple friends tonight, then prime rib the follow week!
good luck!

If any issues ask me any time
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #53
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
i last saw it at granville island. its like double the price (about 25/lb)
I am gonna give that a try
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #54
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Ok so I tried the recipe.

I followed the instructions exactly as explained in the video. My oven sucks ass so I had to tinker with it here and there. Turned out to be a nice medium to medium well, which my parents preferred. I didn't mind it too much. My only gripe with the recipe is the recommendation of using such an amount of salt - Fuck That Shit. It was waaaaay too salty.

Otherwise, I managed and it was tasty. Thanks to all!

Sorry no pics. We were all way too hungry.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 AM   #55
HELP ME PLS!!!

In my opinion, you should never use table salt to cook, as it's way saltier than kosher and sea salt, so it's difficult to measure how much to use (recipes never call for table salt, neither). Sea salt and table salt should only be used on the finished product.

Some would argue that sea salt could be used for cooking; however, you would miss out on the essence of the taste of sea salt, and it would be also be a waste, cause sea salt is generally more expensive.

Now, in my opinion, Prime rib is prime rib, meaning that if you are not cooking a prime-graded standing rib roast from the rib section, then don't call it prime rib. Just call it Roast beef or rib roast, as the difference in taste and quality is highly distinguishable.

I've had a friend that cooked a inside/outside round roast for a gathering, and called it a prime rib. Others didn't notice, but I could tell. It was embarrassing on his part, but I didn't have the heart to tell him. So let's not make the same mistake twice, guys.

As for buying Prime rib (prime grade), Costco seems to be the best deal, but it's only available during various times of the year (Christmas, for example). Otherwise, you'll need to go to a local butcher, and please don't buy it from local supermarkets. They are not prime grade, unless you go to Urban Fare, and other high-end supermarkets.

Last edited by willystyle; 05-15-2011 at 03:32 AM.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #56
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
I definitely wouldn't call it roast beef, cause that just conjures up nasty images from Uncle Willies.

I think its pretty accepted to refer a standing rib roast as prime rib. I don't think anyone goes and says "Hey I'm having standing rib roast today!" But I'm not a beef connoisseur so what do I know!

Last edited by Expresso; 05-15-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #57
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
I definitely wouldn't call it roast beef, cause that just conjures up nasty images from Uncle Willies.

I think its pretty accepted to refer a standing rib roast as prime rib. I don't think anyone goes and says "Hey I'm having standing rib roast today!" But I'm not a beef connoisseur so what do I know!
Hahahaha, I think I'd call it roast beef. That's kinda what it is, why not fix people's image for "roast beef" while you're at it?
But I think calling it "prime rib" is cheating, doubly so if you're not roasting it on the bone.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #58
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
i call a rib roast "prime rib" cause nobody knows that prime rib is only prime grade beef anyway.
its not that im cheating by calling it prime, just that people understand what it is better when you say prime rib.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #59
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

And when you order prime rib from a restaurant, what are the odds that they are using the good prime grade cut of meat anyways?

I usually get the 'premium rib roast' from Costco, either bone-in or boneless. The quality of the meat is better than most local restaurants' prime rib. The end result is way closer to a true prime rib than an inside/outside roast. Local Costco's are selling the bulk (about 7 rib equivalent) boneless pieces for ~$20/kg, so about $9/lb. The Costco's in the US used to carry the same cut and sell at $6us/lb but I have not seen it the last couple times I've gone down and looked for it.

I'm going to have to try the roast at 200 then crank it at the end method. I've always oven seared for 15-20 minutes to start then cook at 270 until appropriate internal temperature and it has always turned out very good and tasty. But I have never rated my results based on the thickness of brown/cooked edges, always only by taste.

Best prime rib that I've had in restaurant is Smuggler's Inn in Calgary
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #60
HELP ME PLS!!!

Bone-in would be best as it further enhances the flavor of the meat.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #61

Quote:
grade A? isnt canadian grading AA, AAA, prime?

and yeah, those prices i threw out werent prime, more like AAA. prime is usually upwards of 20/lb. 12/lb is prob a little high compared to some butchers. the places i go to are overpriced just cause they're the only ones i really know. i should check out supreme meats though.

i use fine sea salt for almost everything unless its curing or brining, then i bring out the coarse kosher salt because its a little cheaper. i still use table salt for baking though which i rarely do.
Nope, there is a "Grade A"

That actually makes it sound pretty crappy in comparison.
But the coloring and marbling I've saw makes it look much nicer than most (but not all) of what I see at Costco and the other supermarkets.

I'll confirm with Supreme the Grade of the beef when I pick some up. Pictures as well.

As for salt, I keep hearing that Sea Salt is expensive. I know there is some expensive sea salt options that I can get from specialty cooking shops, but I've also seen the $4/box Windsor sea salt @ superstore. For the most part, I'm using Windsor kosher salt because I like the texture.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #62
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
wow.. never seen A before and definitely never seen B
B grade meat just sounds so wrong.

how do you even produce meat that has like zero marbling
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #63
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
i tested out that recipe stevenduang posted, but I had to make some adjustments as my girlfriend prefers medium / well-done
so I bought a 6lb prime rib and was suppose to keep it at 500F for 30mins (according the the recipe) but I left it for an hour instead and it was medium not well-done yet as there was a bit of pink but it was SO damn good

heres some pics of it buttered up

served with some gravy + mashpotato... damn it was a good meal
3 bone for 6 people, nothing was left and everyone was stuffed

the result?

probably the best prime rib I've had yet, same goes for my girlfriend and her family, everyone loved it !

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #64
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
wow.. never seen A before and definitely never seen B
B grade meat just sounds so wrong.

how do you even produce meat that has like zero marbling
They use grade a and b for processed food or ground them finely.
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 AM   #65

So I got my rib roast, and it was ok-ish. Not as nice as I saw last time.
I had a chat with some guy at Supreme Meats, I'm just assuming he was the retail manger, he looked like he was in charge, we've chatted a bit before. He said that the grades for the rib roast is minimal AA and sometimes up to AAA, it just depends on what they get. I was a little confused cause I thought everything was graded by inspectors before it leaves the slaughterhouse. Regardless, he said it's no Grade A and not prime, but what they get will always be something in between. It was less than $7/lb.

Here's how the meat looked. Pics are with a crappy phone-camera. It wasn't epic, but it was definitely good enough for me. As I've mentioned before, nicer than what the local supermarkets generally stock.

As for how it turned out, I rushed it so it was kinda screwed up. My friends have really low standards, especially if I do all the cooking
So they were happy enough with the meal, except I know it wasn't up to my standards.

Hope this helps you guys out a bit?