REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Best Prime Rib? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/644281-best-prime-rib.html)

Vale46Rossi 05-01-2011 03:35 PM

Best Prime Rib?

List here :)

Matlock 05-01-2011 03:41 PM

I've only had the prime rib at The Keg about 50 times and it has been great. There is a secret size larger than Keg size which is really hard to finish.

My foreman at work claims that a golf course in Richmond has really good prime rib, but I don't remember the name of the location and have yet to try it.

_TiDy_ 05-01-2011 04:14 PM

the kegs prime rib is pretty solid, the size larger than the keg size is called the "keg sized omega". If you don't want to spend so much, miles stones is alright. Gothams has a pretty good au jus sauce to go with their prime rib. but for the price you might as well go to the keg. Try making prime rib yourself, its ridiculously easy, just have a meat thermometer and get a good cut of prime rib, a few hours later you'll have more than enough to feed yourself and a few others.

Matlock 05-01-2011 07:47 PM

I've also went to Outback Steak house and Black Angus in the states, both of which I personally found not to be as good as our Keg back home. (Although much cheaper for the portion you get) Just in case you ever wondered about those two.

whitev70r 05-01-2011 07:56 PM

Nothing quite like it at home. Like other poster said, it is so easy ... with what you pay at The Keg, you can have all you can eat prime rib for 2 days.

keifun 05-01-2011 08:34 PM

I tried the prime rib at the Keg on a couple occasions. I think its decent. Its too bad they didn't have yorkshire pudding as well. I was a bit disappointed. I think a prime rib isn't complete without that.

unit 05-01-2011 10:33 PM

i agree that you should make it at home.
keg prime rib is average, and you can easily replicate it at home.
the sides they give at the keg are terrible so you're not missing out on that

Vale46Rossi 05-02-2011 02:43 AM

I tried the omega yesterday, the size was good and finished it.

I have tried many that was better like morons and hys

I am trying to find the perfect Au Jus and I am good

I do make my own quiet often but I prefer eating out

milkmilk101 05-02-2011 10:07 AM

I heard Chop have really good prime ribs.. gonna try it pretty soon.. post later.
Pinnacle hotel at lonsdale offer 18.95 prime ribs dinner too.. not too bad.

impulseX 05-02-2011 10:27 AM

well, like many have mentioned. the keg. but after working there for so long, the prime rib is just meh.... and yes the keg omega is really big.

seasons in the park has prime rib on sundays. we serve at $28 i believe, or a 3 course meal (salad, pr, desert) for i think... $32 or something. can't remember exact price off the top of my head

Shades 05-02-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenDuang (Post 7417129)

I've never been to "morons" but I will give it a try :fullofwin:

bbbj 05-02-2011 12:10 PM

will i turn into an idiot after i eat there?

EndLeSS8 05-02-2011 01:08 PM

I don't know where the best Prime Rib is locally, but best in the world IMO is House of Prime Rib in San Francisco.

pretty much a mandatory food stop when you visit.

http://houseofprimerib.net/home.html

Our Roast Beef:
Carved at your table, to your specifications, from our unique stainless steel serving carts. We serve only the best beef available, the top 2% of all beef marketed. Although this incurs additional expense, out Mid-Western corn-fed beef aged for 21 days, is the most tender, juicy and flavorful beef available.

LiquidTurbo 05-02-2011 01:28 PM

Texas Road House in the USA

Ch28 05-02-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndLeSS8 (Post 7417476)
I don't know where the best Prime Rib is locally, but best in the world IMO is House of Prime Rib in San Francisco.

pretty much a mandatory food stop when you visit.

http://houseofprimerib.net/home.html

Our Roast Beef:
Carved at your table, to your specifications, from our unique stainless steel serving carts. We serve only the best beef available, the top 2% of all beef marketed. Although this incurs additional expense, out Mid-Western corn-fed beef aged for 21 days, is the most tender, juicy and flavorful beef available.

Bourdain did a stop there during his San Fran episode and it looked so good

ilvtofu 05-03-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenDuang (Post 7417129)

I honestly wouldn't bother paying any more than keg for prime rib and yeah the omega is a decent size, I can easily finish it if I don't get the classic dinner

I get my meats for prime rib usually from ferry market on hastings because the owner is a family friend and barely charges anything for it, but the meat at safeway/costco has been good in my experience

Durrann 05-04-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _TiDy_ (Post 7416379)
the kegs prime rib is pretty solid, the size larger than the keg size is called the "keg sized omega". If you don't want to spend so much, miles stones is alright. Gothams has a pretty good au jus sauce to go with their prime rib. but for the price you might as well go to the keg. Try making prime rib yourself, its ridiculously easy, just have a meat thermometer and get a good cut of prime rib, a few hours later you'll have more than enough to feed yourself and a few others.

i have to disagree with u on the milestones
its not up to par

Culverin 05-04-2011 11:27 PM

Man, that house of prime rib looks amazing. I have to go some time.

Last year, my dad and kid brother had a joint bday party and invited over the extended family. I made a roast (it's not prime rib if it's not on the bone right?). I was most impressed with how it turned out. Better than most restaurants I've had it at. For any of you guys that have made prime rib at home, what spices do you use?

I made a simple paste with thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and butter. But I think maybe I should have put in some onion powder as well. Do you guys sear it off first before roasting or just pop it in at room temp?

MelonBoy 05-04-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7421220)
Man, that house of prime rib looks amazing. I have to go some time.

Last year, my dad and kid brother had a joint bday party and invited over the extended family. I made a roast (it's not prime rib if it's not on the bone right?). I was most impressed with how it turned out. Better than most restaurants I've had it at. For any of you guys that have made prime rib at home, what spices do you use?

I made a simple paste with thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and butter. But I think maybe I should have put in some onion powder as well. Do you guys sear it off first before roasting or just pop it in at room temp?

Gotta sear it off first for sure :D

When I make roast I go S&P only, but I go really heavy on the fresh cracked pepper (I mean really heavy).. If its a regular roast (not prime rib) I ussually slit/stab it with a knife and insert garlic coves into it, if its a prime rib I leave it be..

I like to go 450 high for 10minutes then drop it to 280 :) finishing it off with a 10-15min resting.

unit 05-04-2011 11:52 PM

i just pop it in at room temp

for the best center, rest it between roasting and "searing"
roast part way at 200, rest then crank it as high as it'll go
same with a nice steak but other way around.

heres a good resource

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/t....html#comments

Senna4ever 05-04-2011 11:59 PM

Go to Nikuya, buy some Wagyu prime rib then make it at home. It'll probably cost close to or surpass $100 per pound, but it'll be worth it!

Expresso 05-05-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7421247)

heres a good resource

When you do a roast, do you guys use a thermometer too? I was wondering when you puncture it if the loss of juice is a factor or negligible?

unit 05-05-2011 12:56 PM

loss of juices are negligible, because no matter how good a sear you get on meat, it will leak like a period anyway

rs 05-05-2011 02:55 PM

Hy's Encore has a great prime rib but its expensive. Expect $150 for two including wine.

MelonBoy 05-05-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7421247)

heres a good resource

woh that looks pretty snazz, ill give that a try next time :D