REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
DRL ticket

I was the passenger and the GF was driving my supra, this was 4pm on a super sunny afternoon.

the police were standing on the road, I guess doing a seatbelt/cellphone check, and waved us over. So we did, only thing that was going through my mind was if the front plate was on which it was.

and they said, the reason why they pulled me over was cause the car was newer than 90 and didnt have DRL on. its an RHD 1995 MK4.

the ticket was:
4.02(2)

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

Does She have any way to fight this ticket since the car wasn't manufactured for Canada, is 15 years old, and doesnt have to conform to CMVSS to be imported and road worthy?

NB, there are thousands of other Newer than 1990 cars on the road without DRL, even new trucks etc... I never hear them getting tickets.

/rant.
Advertisement

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Tgo
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I am surprised the car was allowed to be imported into canada without DLR in the first place. When i imported my supra few years back i had to install DLR into the car in order to pass the two inspections.
Your best bet would be to call Transport Canada and ask them regarding the exception and the DRL requirement.
Tgo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Tgo is correct, the car should not have been allowed to be registered and licensed without being brought up to TC *and* BC MVAR spec and passing the appropriate inspections... and those inspections SHOULD have included checking for DRL function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR34 View Post
I was the passenger and the GF was driving my supra, this was 4pm on a super sunny afternoon.

the police were standing on the road, I guess doing a seatbelt/cellphone check, and waved us over. So we did, only thing that was going through my mind was if the front plate was on which it was.

and they said, the reason why they pulled me over was cause the car was newer than 90 and didnt have DRL on. its an RHD 1995 MK4.

the ticket was:
4.02(2)

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

Does She have any way to fight this ticket since the car wasn't manufactured for Canada, is 15 years old, and doesnt have to conform to CMVSS to be imported and road worthy?

NB, there are thousands of other Newer than 1990 cars on the road without DRL, even new trucks etc... I never hear them getting tickets.

/rant.
the idea is you can import ANY car for whatever purpose you want (eg, off road track use) but to be legally on the road it must be consistence with mostly every other car on the road and deemed roadworthy. if it wasn't for consistency, we'd have cars with green brake lights, cars with high beams, cars with police strobes as turn signals, etc. your car is no different from the examples i listed

DRL's are important for the safety of yourself and others. when the suns behind you, without DRL's, you're practically invisible to the people in front of you wearing sunglasses and with their visors down. if you got into an accident and investigators found that your car wasn't equipped with DRL's, ICBC may not cover you for whatever damage/injury you cause

lastly, you're in a RHD car (i've previously owned one before) its a fact that left turns are riskier in a RHD car. at the very least, you should be concerned about making your RHD car more visible in an intersection (with DRL), not whether or not everyone else is doing it. justifying something illegal and unsafe just because everyone else is doing it is the stupidest and most immature thing you can do. now go install your DRL's and remember you're representing the RHD community, make them look safe not stupid.

Last edited by alpinestars; 05-08-2011 at 10:29 AM.
alpinestars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
Well, think about it this way, at least the officer didn't issue her a vehicle inspection on top of that ticket.
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
TBH when I see cars with no DRL's its a big blur and I usually always have to take a double take on the car.. Especially on side road intersections.. I always look for headlights and cars that dont have the DRL's are way harder to see.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
I know from experience that for a imported RHD car to be road worthy, you must need DRL to pass the inspection. Whoever you bought your car from must have had a shop do the inspection who cared more about making the money than following the rules.

At least you didnt get a VI.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:

/rant.
Then they've been disabled post-manufacture. And you don't hear about them getting tickets because it's not exactly newspaper worthy..er.. news.

What I want to know is if a US car without DRLs from the factory would be subject to such a ticket in Canada if visiting. (not imported).

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Then they've been disabled post-manufacture. And you don't hear about them getting tickets because it's not exactly newspaper worthy..er.. news.

What I want to know is if a US car without DRLs from the factory would be subject to such a ticket in Canada if visiting. (not imported).
Non-permanent visitor's vehicles must meet safety requirements in their home jurisdiction. When I visit BC for example I can drive around with my tinted front windows, and Quebec plated vehicles can come to Ontario without a front plate displayed, etc.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Non-permanent visitor's vehicles must meet safety requirements in their home jurisdiction. When I visit BC for example I can drive around with my tinted front windows, and Quebec plated vehicles can come to Ontario without a front plate displayed, etc.
Actually you can't.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Actually you can't.
Hrmm, I stand corrected, it is still unlawful. I've had officers comment on the tint previously but never received so much as a warning or request to remove it while around Vancouver while plated from ON, so I'd been under the assumption that it was out of their jurisdiction.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Hrmm, I stand corrected, it is still unlawful. I've had officers comment on the tint previously but never received so much as a warning or request to remove it while around Vancouver while plated from ON, so I'd been under the assumption that it was out of their jurisdiction.
Unfortunately the federal standards are trumped by provincial standards.

Which is why I asked about the DRLs. If it is unsafe to operate a vehicle without DRLs in Canada, why can people visit Canada from the US without them if they're not allowed to visit BC with tint?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I have seen problems with this before. As far as I know you are allowed to disable or run no DRL's, that is at your discretion. However, it is illegal to drive a car or sell a car at least that is not equipped with them from the factory. If you car passed an inspection and it had the DRL's in there then you should be good to go, I dont think its illegal to drive with DRL's off, its just if the car has them installed or not which is the issue IIRC
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #14

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Ok well what I dont get is,

I have a 1995 Supra, from Japan, Made for Japan. In Japan, it wasnt manufactured with DRL. Same with all the LHD Supras manufactured for USA. Both did not have DRL from the factory back in 1995. The Canada Spec 1995 Supra, (yes there were a few) were made to conform to the Federal standards and had DRL. Cause they were brand new and needed to comply to CMVSS to be sold legally here.

Now if I had a October build 1989 Supra, LHD or RHD manufactured for either Canada/USA/Japan, they didnt come with DRL, and is legal.

If it was one year newer, 1990, The USA and JAPAN Supra still doesnt have DRL, but the canadian one does from Factory, that isn't legal cause its rolling on our soil?

and the tens of thousands of pre 89 cars rolling around without DRL not getting hassled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Tgo is correct, the car should not have been allowed to be registered and licensed without being brought up to TC *and* BC MVAR spec and passing the appropriate inspections... and those inspections SHOULD have included checking for DRL function.
Cars from Japan older than 15 years old, do not need to conform to federal standards, and does not need a federal inspection like USA cars do. They only need a provincial inspection just like buying a car from alberta or other provinces. The do not need to conform to the CMVSS (Canadian motor vehicle safety standards) by TC

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
heh those motherfuckers always trying to ticket people for the smallest thing...

I personally didn't have my daytime running lights on my old Supra and the inspector just passed the car... and i never had problems driving with the lights off on a sunny day.

Last edited by 1exotic; 05-08-2011 at 08:44 PM.
1exotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
It's like saying how there's thousands of cars on the speeding over 50km/h everyday, every hour, every minute. Do every single one of them get caught?

You're well aware of the law, but you decided to take the risk anyways.

I would just pay the ticket, and move on.
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
The simple fact is, that car *SHOULD NOT HAVE PASSED PROVINCIAL INSPECTION* without DRLs. They're required, you didn't have them, end of story. Pay the ticket and move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote