REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   We SO need this here... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645041-we-so-need-here.html)

Soundy 05-10-2011 08:43 PM

We SO need this here...

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...rs-1374219.php

cococly 05-10-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

We want people to get back in the habit of recognizing the left-lane travel law
Most important point.

46_valentinor 05-10-2011 11:43 PM

i have a question, if everyone is driving 80 on the freeway and then someone decides to drive on the left lane, isn't that person just asking for a ticket because a) he's not really passing people and if he is b) he's speeding!

CRS 05-11-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r6_4life (Post 7429325)
i have a question, if everyone is driving 80 on the freeway and then someone decides to drive on the left lane, isn't that person just asking for a ticket because a) he's not really passing people and if he is b) he's speeding!

Although this is technically true, you're assuming that everyone is travelling 80mph. There is often a restriction for trucks that makes their speed limit 70mph or about 10mph less than normal vehicles.

So no, not really. Plus there are always people who don't drive at 80mph and will consistently travel anywhere between 65mph-75mph.

TheNewGirl 05-11-2011 08:47 AM

^ + 1

Also if everyone's driving the speed limit, as far as the law is concerned you have no reason to be passing.

Soundy 05-11-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7429557)
Although this is technically true, you're assuming that everyone is travelling 80mph. There is often a restriction for trucks that makes their speed limit 70mph or about 10mph less than normal vehicles.

So no, not really. Plus there are always people who don't drive at 80mph and will consistently travel anywhere between 65mph-75mph.

I think you meant km/h ;)

What I found most interesting about the article is this:
"Many drivers who were stopped said they didn't know the law, according to the State Patrol."

So those big black and white signs everywhere that say "STATE LAW: KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS. STRICTLY ENFORCED"... people just don't notice those, or...?

Glove 05-11-2011 09:05 AM

we need this so bad,

sick and tired of oblivious people going 70 in the left lane on the highway,

it seriously makes me pull my hair out

CRS 05-11-2011 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7429582)
I think you meant km/h ;)

What I found most interesting about the article is this:
"Many drivers who were stopped said they didn't know the law, according to the State Patrol."

So those big black and white signs everywhere that say "STATE LAW: KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS. STRICTLY ENFORCED"... people just don't notice those, or...?

hahaha

Actually, I was thinking in terms of things from the states as the article you provided was from Seattle. So I actually meant mph instead of km/h.

Plus I just drove to and from Portland last weekend.

PACER 05-11-2011 03:54 PM

The law already exists here....... It is even posted on some hiways.

Highway lines

155 (1) Despite anything in this Part, if a highway is marked with
(c) one single line, broken or solid, the driver of a vehicle
must drive the vehicle to the right of the line, except only
when passing an overtaken vehicle.

I am unsure of why it is not enforced unless there is some case law that has made it too difficult to enforce.

Soundy 05-11-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACER (Post 7430099)
The law already exists here....... It is even posted on some hiways.

I was referring to the enforcement blitz, rather than the law itself. However...

Quote:

Highway lines

155 (1) Despite anything in this Part, if a highway is marked with
(c) one single line, broken or solid, the driver of a vehicle
must drive the vehicle to the right of the line, except only
when passing an overtaken vehicle.

I am unsure of why it is not enforced unless there is some case law that has made it too difficult to enforce.
In most places, the signs actually read SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT, which is ambiguous at best... and I imagine, harder to enforce because the subjective opinion of who is "faster" is so easy to argue. It's only when you get into more rural areas that the signs are KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS... and even then, they've added to the ambiguity by posting big pretty signs explaining the law, with the right lane marked DRIVING LANE and the left marked DRIVING AND PASSING LANE.

On the whole, I suspect most people (in BC at least) don't obey it because all the signage seems to treat it as a suggestion rather than THE LAW.

focus 05-15-2011 05:13 PM

ive stressed this numerous times.. and now the article simply proves that our so called licensing tests are a joke..