REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Un-reasonable By-Law notice letter (ticket)

Today, I got a letter from City of Vancouver.

It said that I have stopped where prohibited, and the fine is $50 ($150 if not paid in time).

This is the description:

Vehicle Description: BMW
License Plate: 000XXX
Prov/State: BC
Offence Date & Time: May 6, 2011 8:50 PM
By-law: 2849
Section: 17.1
Section Description: STOP WHERE PROHIBITED
Officer #: 0259

Please note that I did not receive any tickets, nor notice by any officer..
This letter just appeared in my mail box.

As you can see in the vehicle description, it simply says BMW. If they really caught someone, shouldn't they be having more information on the vehicle, such as CAR MODEL and COLOR?

Plus, I have not received any tickets.. is this the lawful way of fining someone?

I am really swamped why I am receiving this letter, and totally clueless on when I have stopped at the prohibited zone. They can't just write down the license plate of a car they hate, and slap a fine in their mail box..

Can anyone give me any suggestions? Should I dispute this ticket, or should I just pay the $50 and call this an unlucky day?
Advertisement
kupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
I am grateful grapefruit

I believe City of Vancouver guys will have taken a picture of your car stopped in the spot. Otherwise, they will never win any of the disputes. Most of the time - when you're just stopped there - the meter maid doesn't have time to hand the ticket to you before you drive off - so the tickets just show up in the mail.

If you really didn't do it - then sure, go ahead and dispute, but if you really did, you will most likely lose the dispute - and lose another $100.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I believe City of Vancouver guys will have taken a picture of your car stopped in the spot. Otherwise, they will never win any of the disputes. Most of the time - when you're just stopped there - the meter maid doesn't have time to hand the ticket to you before you drive off - so the tickets just show up in the mail.

If you really didn't do it - then sure, go ahead and dispute, but if you really did, you will most likely lose the dispute - and lose another $100.
Thank you for the reply, gars.

From your response, I think I will go ahead with the dispute. I really can't think of a time and reason to stop at a prohibited zone. In other words, no such picture should exist.
kupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Do you really drive a BMW? Or is the RSX your only car?
RevRav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupo View Post
Thank you for the reply, gars.

From your response, I think I will go ahead with the dispute. I really can't think of a time and reason to stop at a prohibited zone. In other words, no such picture should exist.
did you park there or not?

the ticket was a week ago? If someone asked me if i parked on alberni street last week at 8:50pm on a friday night, i'm pretty sure i could give a definite yes or no.
Jeremy617 is offline   Reply With Quote