REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   New N sign design theory (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645466-new-n-sign-design-theory.html)

BNR32_Coupe 05-15-2011 08:54 PM

New N sign design theory

It's white so it can be seen through tint.

Now you can't say you can't put your N up your back window because it wont be visible behind tint.

*note: this statement is just a theory. some1 please test this out and post results*

alex.w *// 05-15-2011 09:17 PM

its small enough to fit on a back of a motorcycle now!

kwy 05-15-2011 09:29 PM

I put it behind the tint on my rear hatch and the N sign had no chance. I think the tint might be 5% light transmittance though.

zulutango 05-16-2011 07:43 AM

Must "clearly display" new driver's sign. If it's behind tint is it displayed as "clearly" as when it's not? If it ain't...then it aint clearly displayed.

ziegs2020 05-17-2011 11:00 AM

They should add to the rules to include not blocking the damn third brake light.

chris walter 05-17-2011 11:56 AM

It's so you cant cut out the "N" and put it on your black car and have it disappear?
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 05-17-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziegs2020 (Post 7436967)
They should add to the rules to include not blocking the damn third brake light.

They did...

General maintenance

4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

Matlock 05-17-2011 04:09 PM

They should just invent their own car and have N drivers buy them.

sebberry 05-17-2011 11:53 PM

I am one of the many drivers who is unable to understand what an N means unless it is the original, official ICBC big black N on the green background.

To me, the new N is the equivalent of one made out of green painter's tape. I don't know what it is, what it means or who is driving the car.

Come on ICBC. You ticket drivers for not displaying the official "New driver sign" (presumably because you think other drivers are too thick to understand what a hand-drawn N means) and then you go and change it to something quite different from the original.

Raid3n 05-18-2011 12:41 AM

^how dense do you have to be to not figure out what the letter 'N' on a green background, with the lot being reflective, means.... regardless of whether the letter is black or white.... the overall design hasn't changed, just the colour scheme...

i prefer the new one to the old.

it's smaller, so it will fit on any car (when i had mine, the only metal portion on the back of my car was only big enough to fit the N sideways) and the white N is more visible than a black N with green background.

Soundy 05-18-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7437952)
I am one of the many drivers who is unable to understand what an N means unless it is the original, official ICBC big black N on the green background.

Who are these "others"?

I think you're the only one who doesn't get it... and I suspect that's only because you DON'T WANT to get it. Gives you something else to complain about.

ziegs2020 05-18-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7437170)
They did...

General maintenance

4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

Not in the MVA, but in the hand book they give to learners and new drivers.

sebberry 05-18-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7438100)
Who are these "others"?

I think you're the only one who doesn't get it... and I suspect that's only because you DON'T WANT to get it. Gives you something else to complain about.

Obviously ICBC feels that there are lots of drivers who don't know what a hand-made N is, that's why it carries 3 points.

I get it. I know what an N is regardless of what it looks like or how it is displayed. But we have ICBC bashing people over the heads for not displaying the green and black one for the last 10 years, presumably because they're worried that other drivers can't interpret what anything else is, and then they go and change it.

sonick 05-18-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris walter (Post 7437013)
It's so you cant cut out the "N" and put it on your black car and have it disappear?
Posted via RS Mobile

So what about white cars, now?

ProShift 05-18-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Obviously ICBC feels that there are lots of drivers who don't know what a hand-made N is, that's why it carries 3 points
It carries 3 points because it is under "driving contrary to restrictions," but a lot officers thought that was too harsh for a N Sign violation so I think they are able to give you at ticket that says, "No N Sign Displayed" which has no points but cost you around $100+

Soundy 05-18-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7438225)
Obviously ICBC feels that there are lots of drivers who don't know what a hand-made N is, that's why it carries 3 points.

The issue isn't over whether the sign is hand-made; it's over the fact that there are specific conditions given, and those conditions aren't being met. Period. What those conditions are or whether they make sense is irrelevant.

If a condition of driving with your N includes standing on your head, then you f*king well do that, or get a ticket.

Soundy 05-18-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProShift (Post 7438272)
It carries 3 points because it is under "driving contrary to restrictions," but a lot officers thought that was too harsh for a N Sign violation so I think they are able to give you at ticket that says, "No N Sign Displayed" which has no points but cost you around $100+

"Drive contrary to restrictions" is simply a much broader set of conditions. There are a number of restrictions placed on L and N drivers (must display official sign, must not exceed allowed number of passengers, etc.) that could all result in the same charge.

ImKai 05-18-2011 08:18 PM

honestly don't you guys think the new (n) sign looks way better now ? and its small enough to even fit in your pocket xD

chris walter 05-18-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7438271)
So what about white cars, now?

The White part o the N is reflective now
Posted via RS Mobile

Soundy 05-18-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImKai (Post 7439244)
honestly don't you guys think the new (n) sign looks way better now ? and its small enough to even fit in your pocket xD

Sebberry will never believe it, but there's actually the chance ICBC listened to their customers and redesigned it specifically to address some of these issues (easier to read, smaller so it's more convenient to carry, etc.)

sebberry 05-19-2011 12:53 PM

Being smaller means it stands out less. And if you have it behind a sharply sloped rear window it's even harder to read than the larger sign.

Graeme S 05-19-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7440083)
Being smaller means it stands out less. And if you have it behind a sharply sloped rear window it's even harder to read than the larger sign.

Except for the fact that the N part is now white (for increased visibility/contrast) and is now reflective (same as above).

I still don't understand the point of the OP's post at all.

Not really racist! 05-19-2011 03:48 PM

Everybody puts their N inside their car behind the passenger head rest.. thats obscured and shielded no?

zulutango 05-19-2011 04:26 PM

It is clearly displayed...inside a car behind the headrest is as clear as on the back bumper....really? :) Come on Superman, your x-ray vision is that good?

Soundy 05-19-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7440083)

Always gotta find something to complain about, don't you? Maybe they should make it out of a full-size 11x14" sheet of paper? Or a nice 4'x'6 piece of posterboard? How about a full auto wrap?