REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Want to learn how to cook chinese food!

No, I don't want to work for some restaurant and learn from some guy who learned from another guy on the job..

I want to pay for lessons and learn how to do traditional stuff or even the whole wok thing.

I'm not as fortunate to have families or grandmas teach how to do this stuff.

Let me know, thanks!
Advertisement
abdulclamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

go watch some chinese cooking shows, Fairchild TV channel
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I'm going to hazard a guess and say he's not asian and won't be able to understand what's on Fairchild. I don't have any idea where to take lessons, maybe the Chinese Cultural Center in Chinatown can point you in the right direction? Cause I don't think you're willing to do a full-on Asian Foods program at VCC.

Actually, go watch some youtube videos. There's plenty of bored and lonely c-lais that teach you how cook chinese food.

If it's cantonese cooking, the first thing you should do is learn what sauces and ingredients to buy. Assuming you've got a discerning palette, you can start getting familiar with the tastes, textures and saltiness of each. Then you can figure out what to mix into a basic stir-fry.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Now by "Chinese food", what are you referring to? You might want to be a little more specific.
I must say, as someone who grew up in a Chinese household, I don't get an image of Chinese food the same way I'd picture a plate of pasta when I think of Italian food.

But regardless, I think the first thing you'd have to ask yourself is if you have a gas or electric stove top at home
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
There are four main schools of Chinese cuisine...which one do you want to learn? I guess the most popular here is the Guanzhou & Sechuan styles. Taiwanese is popular too. Then there are all of the little sub-styles within those. The wok requires very high heat & large heat base to use properly.

There's that cookware store in City Square that has cooking classes. One of those may be a good place to start.
http://www.cookshop.ca/store/calenda...2FB9HMKE500439
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Senna nailed it. You're going to need some sort of massive heat source to do it properly.

I've got a commercial 6-burner Wolf range and it's not nearly enough. So I use a turkey deep fryer and stir-fry outside on a carbon steel wok. Even then, it's really not enough heat.

I've been on the hunt for a Manniu burner. Does anybody know if these are available in Vancouver?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post

I've been on the hunt for a Manniu burner. Does anybody know if these are available in Vancouver?

I have seen things like that at South Asian grocery shops on main street and Scott road.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
I don't know if that particular brand is available in Vancouver, but you can buy a real wok stove - the one with ceramic linings and the vortex of flames - at restaurant supply stores like Paragon on Hastings, or maybe even Russell?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

As if all the asians cooking at home have insane restaurant burners !!! LOL..

i think he just wants to learn the basics and gradually progress... I would suggest you going to a restaurant to eat.. figure out what dish you want to learn how to cook.. and youtube the videos.... A huge factor in asian cooking is to have everything prepped as most things cook at high temperatures and are cooked quickly.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
go watch some chinese cooking shows, Fairchild TV channel
I want to do somethiing at the same time, so recording that stuff won't be an option. Prefer to learn from a real person harassing me over the shoulder.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm going to hazard a guess and say he's not asian and won't be able to understand what's on Fairchild. I don't have any idea where to take lessons, maybe the Chinese Cultural Center in Chinatown can point you in the right direction? Cause I don't think you're willing to do a full-on Asian Foods program at VCC.

Actually, go watch some youtube videos. There's plenty of bored and lonely c-lais that teach you how cook chinese food.

If it's cantonese cooking, the first thing you should do is learn what sauces and ingredients to buy. Assuming you've got a discerning palette, you can start getting familiar with the tastes, textures and saltiness of each. Then you can figure out what to mix into a basic stir-fry.

I've checked out the VCC program and it seems to be more of a serious vocation program than "for fun"... That VCC program seems to be targetting people who want to work in the kitchen. I just want to learn for the sake of learning to be a better cook. I want something like that, but say 8 lessons on chinese cooking.. or something similar.

I understand that cantonese cooking doesn't have measurements.. it's kind of a "whatever" you feel. I really want something I can quantify with.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
There are four main schools of Chinese cuisine...which one do you want to learn? I guess the most popular here is the Guanzhou & Sechuan styles. Taiwanese is popular too. Then there are all of the little sub-styles within those. The wok requires very high heat & large heat base to use properly.

There's that cookware store in City Square that has cooking classes. One of those may be a good place to start.
http://www.cookshop.ca/store/calenda...2FB9HMKE500439
Oh wow thats a good start, I like that. Thanks. It's perfect.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #13
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Hey guys,

For anyone interested, saw this groupon for cookshop today

http://www.groupon.com/vancouver/?ut...m_term=groupon
vl_86 is offline   Reply With Quote