REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Hockey - Replacement Blades (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645695-hockey-replacement-blades.html)

g_spyder91 05-18-2011 12:28 PM

Hockey - Replacement Blades

Ball hockey is starting to pick up again with the on & off nice weather. Any outdoor ball hockey players know where I can find ABS replacement blades that are NOT the Zetterberg curve? (Prefer Easton) I used to have the Lidstrom/Getzlaf blade in ABS but can't find any for the life of me, online or otherwise.

Spidey 05-18-2011 12:48 PM

Assuming you have checked out Sport Chek Sport MArt and Cyclone.. maybe ice level? larrys?

Why do picky when it is only ball hockey?

g_spyder91 05-18-2011 12:58 PM

I've checked out a couple of places, but not Cyclone yet, i'll try there this weekend.
As far as being picky, if I don't have to why would I spend money on new blades every couple of weeks (the wood and composite blades get eaten up instantly on the cement) when I can go through almost a whole summer with 1 ABS blade which is made for hockey box/street surfaces. And I don't know if you play or not but the curve is a huge deal for anyone that plays regularly. I'm a million miles from being any sort of pro but I still like what I like.

Thanks anyways for the suggestions.

Spidey 05-18-2011 01:29 PM

I didn't mean picky as to the material. I used to play a lot of ball hockey wayyyy back in Grade school. I always used abs as well, but you have to realize that abs are pretty much limited to ONE curve type per brand... the only brand i found that had a couple of cruves to choose from were the old vector abs blades. I don't know if they make it anymore but they were good and were not only for ball, but roller and ice too.

http://www.cyclonetaylor.com/players...mvectorv40.jpg

they are much lighter than the traditional koho crossovers or the "big curves".

what curve are you looking for anyways? i know abs curves, even when stamped a certain players name, are different than the carbon ones... even wood curves are different.

for ball hockey, i remember it didnt make a difference because no matter what your bakchand will never be hampered by a big curve. Flatter curves would be ideal in stickhandling and control since the ball flies.

Spidey 05-18-2011 01:34 PM

ok, i just went on hockeymonkey.com and every major brand has something to offer.. if you didn't see anything you like there, then i think you are out of luck/are too picky

g_spyder91 05-18-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7438551)
ok, i just went on hockeymonkey.com and every major brand has something to offer.. if you didn't see anything you like there, then i think you are out of luck/are too picky

Thanks, looks like Sherwood makes one with the specs I wanted. I looked yesterday but only under Easton, i'm gonna assume that the standard Sherwood blade will fit my Easton shaft.

Leopold Stotch 05-19-2011 01:48 AM

^ what shaft do you have?

AzNightmare 05-19-2011 11:39 AM

All blades should fit a standard shaft, unless you're using some interesting shaft with those short low kick point ends.
Even if you have one of those beveled easton shafts, the ends are usually square for compatibility with standard blades.

If you're looking for something with a "lethal" curve that's almost illegal (maybe it is)
Try the Reebok series blades. They have a few different curves. Some curves really big, some more moderate.

http://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/3...lade-2k-jr.jpg

If you shoot left, there's a few at Cyclone Taylors (Oak St Location)

They aren't pure ABS though (like the Easton Zetterberg), so they won't last you all summer.
They are ABS core, with wood exterior. But they grind away nicely, as in you won't get that "flappy" layer splitting effect. The wood doesn't peel off.

The blade itself is much lighter than the pure ABS ones too. And even a noob like me can shoot well with it.
I really like that blade. Downside is that it isn't as durable on concrete, but definitely better than wood or composite...

g_spyder91 05-19-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7439671)
^ what shaft do you have?

I'm just using the Easton S5. I'm not too worried about the blade fitting, it's not a tapered shaft which needs a particular blade. Senior shaft, senior blade should be all good.
Posted via RS Mobile

g_spyder91 05-19-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the info and help folks, appreciate it.
Posted via RS Mobile

Leopold Stotch 05-21-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7440002)
All blades should fit a standard shaft, unless you're using some interesting shaft with those short low kick point ends.
Even if you have one of those beveled easton shafts, the ends are usually square for compatibility with standard blades.

If you're looking for something with a "lethal" curve that's almost illegal (maybe it is)
Try the Reebok series blades. They have a few different curves. Some curves really big, some more moderate.

http://feeds2.yourstorewizards.com/3...lade-2k-jr.jpg

If you shoot left, there's a few at Cyclone Taylors (Oak St Location)

They aren't pure ABS though (like the Easton Zetterberg), so they won't last you all summer.
They are ABS core, with wood exterior. But they grind away nicely, as in you won't get that "flappy" layer splitting effect. The wood doesn't peel off.

The blade itself is much lighter than the pure ABS ones too. And even a noob like me can shoot well with it.
I really like that blade. Downside is that it isn't as durable on concrete, but definitely better than wood or composite...

lol what's so interesting about tapered shafts? i've never owned a standard shaft

m3thods 05-23-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7442493)
lol what's so interesting about tapered shafts? i've never owned a standard shaft

Assuming you mean you've never owned a tapered shaft, essentially they offer a lower kickpoint. For some people this means quicker loading hence quicker shot releases. They're supposed to offer close to 1-piece performance in a 2-piece solution.

Personally I've owned a Dolomite (tapered) and AK-27 (standard), and while the Dolomite was a lot of fun to shoot with, my slappers took a hit. I find the AK-27 a very nice compromise, but overall I still prefer a tapered 2-piece.