REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Racing steering wheels (https://www.revscene.net/forums/645794-racing-steering-wheels.html)

HansonBoy 05-20-2011 12:38 AM

Racing steering wheels

Just wondering if these are legal in BC on the streets, as most of them don't come equipped with air bags? And also do they violate ICBC insurance policy?

zulutango 05-20-2011 04:43 AM

Steering mechanism

19 No component part of the steering mechanism of a vehicle shall be broken, fractured, cracked, bent, twisted or otherwise damaged, defective or worn to an extent that there is perceptible looseness between it and a connected component part.

Play in the steering system as measured at the outside diameter of the front tire shall not exceed for a wheel up to 406 mm in diameter 6 mm, for a wheel between 406 mm and 450 mm in diameter 9.5 mm, and for a wheel over 450 mm in diameter 12.7 mm.

Steering wheels shall be of substantially the same size, shape and strength as the steering wheel supplied by the manufacturer of the motor vehicle.

No vehicle shall be approved for operation if any part of the steering mechanism shows signs of failure or has been heated or welded.

Axles shall not be noticeably twisted or bent or out of alignment.

Frames or cross members shall not be fractured.

Front wheels shall be capable of being freely turned by the steering wheel, from full left to full right, without jamming or binding.

Steering wheels, steering columns and steering column support brackets shall not be loose or broken.

Peripheral movement in a steering wheel without an associated movement of the front wheels shall not exceed 50 mm in a steering wheel less than 450 mm in diameter or 100 mm in a steering wheel over 450 mm in diameter

As far as installing non-compliant equipment not designed for "highway" use goes, what do you think ICBC will do? What if your injuries are more severe because you removed the padded air bag wheel. That can't be a benifit, financially and injury wise. Why not call them and ask that question before you remove the stock one and replace it with the aftermarket one.

sho_bc 05-20-2011 07:32 AM

You're not allowed to put a non-air bag steering wheel onto a car that originally was equipped with an airbag steering wheel. Also, most "racing" steering wheels don't come with a horn mechanism, so you'd have to wire it in somehow.

HansonBoy 05-20-2011 10:11 AM

I see, that makes sense.

zulu: is that from ICBC insurance policy, or BC driving laws? Would it be illegal to install and use an aftermarket steering wheel, and could i be ticketed/prosecuted by police?

sho_bc 05-20-2011 03:32 PM

Its the Motor Vehicle Act/MVA Regulations that regulate the steering wheel size/strength/airbags/etc. You can be ticketed/given a Notice and Order (Vehicle Inspection) for failing to comply with the MVA/MVAR when it comes to vehicle parts and their compliance.

Rich Sandor 05-21-2011 08:48 AM

sho_bc: The motor vehicle act does not govern airbags. The last time I searched it, only safety belts were mentioned - but not airbags. Airbags are regulated by the federal government. A vehicle will only fail a Provincial Safety Inspection if there vehicle has labeling indicating the presence of an Airbag, but the airbag is not there or there is a warning light active on the dash.

There is legislation being written to require airbags to replaced if they are missing or have been activated, before we can SELL a vehicle - but currently I can simply remove the airbag/SRS labels and still legally sell the vehicle.

If you wish to KEEP the labels but remove or deactivate or install an on/off switch, you must get Federal Permission to do so:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/t...8-menu-124.htm

zulutango 05-21-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HansonBoy (Post 7441143)
I see, that makes sense.

zulu: is that from ICBC insurance policy, or BC driving laws?

Would it be illegal to install and use an aftermarket steering wheel, and could i be ticketed/prosecuted by police?

The quote is from the MV Act, a provincial law. If you use a non-approved (according to the standards required by law) then you are subject to inspections and/or tickets. The inspection will go into more detail,as required by their inspection standards as listed in the inspection manual.

My comments about ICBC is that if they are involved in a crash payout for damage and injuries, it would be poor business practice as an insurer, to ignore factors that contributed to the damage and injuries. Having removed an airbag may be considered as the driver contributing to his own injuries, injuries that would not have happened if the airbag was in place. You are dealing with tort law and civil standards wher they only have to prove 51% fault, where criminal law has to proved beyond a reasonable doubt.