REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Cusco Coilover Suspension Settings

Hi. I'm currently running some cusco zero 2R coilovers on my 1998 Nissan 240sx, and was wondering if anyone else is running the same suspension or know / have any experience about it.

This may be a confusing read but I'll try to make it as clear as possible.

Problem is my two rear coilovers have worn out/missing stickers that display the adjustment levels for the coils. The settings range from 1 being the softest and 5 being the stiffest. At the front I can tell which number I have set them at as the stickers are there. The rears however I cannot tell as there are no stickers, and it is POSSIBLE to turn the setting from 5 TO 1 and vice versa, meaning I cannot simply turn all the way left or right to determine the softest / stiffest setting.

I was wondering if anyone knew a more accurate way to determine the settings rather than by feel. Trust me I have tried that, but either I have a really horrible butt dyno or the settings make very little difference.

Thanks!
Advertisement
kouki_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

The BEST way to adjust them would be to throw them on a dyno shock. Most adjustable shocks do not adjust linearly, and softest setting on one side usually does not match on the other side with the same setting.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
The BEST way to adjust them would be to throw them on a dyno shock. Most adjustable shocks do not adjust linearly, and softest setting on one side usually does not match on the other side with the same setting.
Thanks for the input, but since my coils only have 5 settings rather than like 18 that some other coils do, I think I'll have to pass on that unless it's relatively cheap

Any other ideas guys?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Well, If you can't tell the difference with your ass then why bother?
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by satek View Post
Well, If you can't tell the difference with your ass then why bother?
tbh its more of a OCD thing lolol
Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

LOL....ok you could try turning the knob all the way to one side...go out take a couple hard turns.

more lean = soft setting....less lean = hard setting
92 240sx - dd/project car
88 CRX - sold
98 DC2 - sold

Renting out pbm fender roller - pm for details.
satek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #7

It would make sense that the rears would follow the fronts in regards to which direction you turn the knob for soft/stiff (ie: counter clockwise = softer, clockwise = stiffer, etc). I would just crank both knobs to the same side, mark the knobs then crank them the other way and see how many turns you get then go from there.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #8

As regards to both above posters, as stated in opening post the setting can go a full 360 degree turn and does not stop at lowest / hardest setting. It can go from hardest, to softest in one click and vice versa
Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #9

Oh ok I think I get it now. You do mean that instead of going from 1 to 5 clockwise, and then back down to 1 counter-clockwise, you can go from 5 to 1 going clockwise (the same direction).

If that's the case, it sounds like the adjustment knobs could be broken and is spinning freely without making any difference in dampening.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
Oh ok I think I get it now. You do mean that instead of going from 1 to 5 clockwise, and then back down to 1 counter-clockwise, you can go from 5 to 1 going clockwise (the same direction).

If that's the case, it sounds like the adjustment knobs could be broken and is spinning freely without making any difference in dampening.

I think its just a part of the design as all 4 of them can do that, unless all 4 are broken LOL
Old 05-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #11

anyyybody else able to shed some light?