REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   "possibly driving while prohibited" (https://www.revscene.net/forums/646107-possibly-driving-while-prohibited.html)

hi-revs 05-24-2011 12:03 PM

"possibly driving while prohibited"

I simply have never been in this position, and would like advice of how to proceed.

Long story short, (coles notes), i was pulled over for a DUI about 1.5 months ago.
Police gave me 24hr driving prohibition.
Towed and impounded my car for 24hrs.
Took my drivers license.
One police officer verbally told me that ill also be recieving a 90 day suspension.

I proceeded to see a criminal defense lawyer that deals with driving prohibition.
He told me that it doesnt say anything about a 90day prohibition on the paper work i got from the police.
Lawyer said i can go down to the DMV and get my license back.
He also said that they might mail me the notification for the suspension. (till now, post 1.5months, i still have not recieved this notification.)

Doing like what he told me, i went down to a local icbc branch and got my license back. (got the yellow interm slip until a few weeks ago when they mailed me the actual drivers license card)

All seemed to have gone well. So i went out and bought a new car last week. and insured it under my name.

Yesterday driving back from Metrotown. There was a police road check.
An officer came onto the road and guided me to pull over in a parking lot where 5 other officers were pulling over other drivers.
I asked the officer why i was pulled over, and he said, "Theres an unmarked police car up the road scanning every cars license plates, and yours came up as "POSSIBLY DRIVING WHILE PROHIBITED".

This came as a complete surprise and shock to me since i actually got my license back. and i have been driving for 1 month.

The police did not issue me a ticket. But he took my license, and towed and impounded my car until the end of July (when my "supposedly" 90days was supposed to end)
He issued me an Appearance Notice in court as well for July.

MY QUESTION:
-if im still "suspended" from driving, why was my drivers license issued back to me?
- what does "possibly driving while prohibited" mean? POSSIBLY???? WTF?

-WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW? GET A LAWYER INVOLVED?

SUMMARY:
police took my license away, gave it back, and took it away AGAIN!

TheNewGirl 05-24-2011 12:55 PM

Is it possible you were mailed a suspension you haven't yet received or didn't receive?

Do you have an N?

Suspensions from a license review can take some time (my sister got one a month and a half after the ticket that triggered it).

Have you called ICBC to find out the status of your license and if a suspension was issued that you may not have gotten?

hi-revs 05-24-2011 01:10 PM

No i have full class 5,6

Just called icbc, and i am suspended. I just havent received anything.
guess im fucked either way.

gars 05-24-2011 01:15 PM

is the address you have on file correct?

hi-revs 05-24-2011 01:32 PM

yes, ive been living with the same address for 10+ years.

TheNewGirl 05-24-2011 01:55 PM

Is your mail secure?

I have had stuff stolen our of my apartment mail before so I have all important documents (insurance and the like) sent to my office now.

zulutango 05-24-2011 02:47 PM

In the meantime how about contacting the Police Dept who issued the original paperwork to see what they have to say? Maybe they can fill you in. A normal 24 hour suspension is that. If you were charged with refusal/impaired then the 90 day prohibition could be involved. You say DUI so is that what you mean?

hi-revs 05-24-2011 03:23 PM

yes. dui as i drinking.
i called today, and what they told me was im suspended for 90days. and that possibly i can get a 1yr suspension put on when my court date arises.

its messed up because, why was i able to get my license back in the first place.

my mail box is secure. ive never had an issue with it before.

i even called icbc today to check on my license status, and even they said its suspended.
and this leads me asking again, why i got my license back. and why am i able to insure a vehicle.

im so stunned with all this because i just picked up my car 5 days ago, and now its being impounded for 7 days. with the possiblity 1yr suspension added on

optiblue 05-24-2011 04:40 PM

They gave it back so that they can milk more money from you! On a serious note, lawyer up again.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 05-24-2011 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=hi-revs;7446104]yes. dui as i drinking.

So were you charged under the criminal code or a provincial suspension? The paperwork you were served at the time will tell what you were charged with. It is normal practice to serve you all the appropriate paperwork at roadside at the time you are released there. If it was criminal code you were likely given an appearance notice or promise to appear for an upcoming court date. If it was provincial then you were likely issued a copy of the 215 suspension form...it's about 1/2 the size of a licence plate...and the 90 day paperwork sheet and vehicle impound apperwork is a full sized sheet...carbon copy, usually blue. Both have instructions on them.

If your DL was given back to you then that is the usual process for a 215 MV Act 24 hour suspension after 24 hours has expired, not a 90 day prohibition. Like others said, if you have legal questions then you should talk to someone who actually knows what they are doing, a lawyer.

skidmark 05-24-2011 07:04 PM

What were your breath test results from your DUI?

sebberry 05-24-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hi-revs (Post 7445929)
"POSSIBLY DRIVING WHILE PROHIBITED".

This came as a complete surprise and shock to me since i actually got my license back. and i have been driving for 1 month.

The police did not issue me a ticket. But he took my license, and towed and impounded my car until the end of July (when my "supposedly" 90days was supposed to end)

MY QUESTION:
-if im still "suspended" from driving, why was my drivers license issued back to me?

The BC Government, ICBC and the police have been having an ongoing threesome for years. You're surprised you get screwed around like this when you weren't drinking the second time?

xilley 05-25-2011 01:46 AM

impounded till end up JULY?!
your better off getting a lawyer
the impound fee will whooop your ass, a week of impound for me was already 400 bucks and yours till end up july? wow..

sho_bc 05-25-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

An officer came onto the road and guided me to pull over in a parking lot where 5 other officers were pulling over other drivers.
I asked the officer why i was pulled over, and he said, "Theres an unmarked police car up the road scanning every cars license plates, and yours came up as "POSSIBLY DRIVING WHILE PROHIBITED".

MY QUESTION:

What likely happened here, was they were using an ALPR to scan passing plates. When they get a "hit" on a plate, the person operating the ALPR knows that someone associated to that vehicle is prohibited from driving (using your case as an example). They then radio the information ahead to the team conducting the checks.

So, the officer that stopped you says to you the reason for the stop: that you are possibly driving while prohibited. That is the reason for the stop. The officer would then run your licence and see if you were the one prohibited. If so, the vehicle gets impounded and you get some paperwork. On your PAN, it would say something to the tune of "Drive While Prohibited" under the charge heading.

What you should do, is gather ALL paperwork from the first instance and this instance, speak to a lawyer as well as speaking with the OSMV to see what was issued and when. There is a review option for the vehicle impound in order to get the vehicle out early. Speak with the lawyer and see what you can do.

fsy82 05-25-2011 11:59 AM

It sounds like you have a good case on your side here. I would highly recommend get a lawyer involve and get them to review the paperwork.

sebberry 05-25-2011 12:47 PM

Why would ICBC return the licence if it was suspended?

hi-revs 05-25-2011 01:30 PM

^^ that's EXACTLY what I'm thinking. PLUS I was able to recently insure a car.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 05-25-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7447571)
Why would ICBC return the licence if it was suspended?

We're not quite sure what he means by..." my drivers license issued back to me?". He didn't say that he got it back from the Police after 24 hours, when they seized it for the 215 suspension or if he went to an Access Centre and paid some fee/fine to get it re-issued. Too much speculation here and it's just a waste of cyberspace to speculate. It has been suggested to the OP several times that he talk to a lawyer, not a bunch of well-intentioned but under-informed RS'ers. :)

LC21 05-30-2011 01:42 PM

If you get DUI-ed is there anyway possible that you get your car back earlier?

RiceIntegraRS 05-30-2011 04:57 PM

Did you pay a reinstatement fee?

or did they just print u out a new temp licence saying your card will be mailed to u?

this story is pretty strange cause from wat it sounds like the officers handled it like the old laws. Where u just lose ur licence for 24hr(officers discretion) and then you would recieve a letter in the mail saying you have been prohiited from driving. The New laws say you should of had your licence taken away on the spot for 90 days.

Raid3n 05-30-2011 04:58 PM

Quote:

I simply have never been in this position, and would like advice of how to proceed.

Long story short, (coles notes), i was pulled over for a DUI about 1.5 months ago.
Police gave me 24hr driving prohibition.
Towed and impounded my car for 24hrs.
Took my drivers license.
One police officer verbally told me that ill also be recieving a 90 day suspension.

I proceeded to see a criminal defense lawyer that deals with driving prohibition.
He told me that it doesnt say anything about a 90day prohibition on the paper work i got from the police.
Lawyer said i can go down to the DMV and get my license back.
He also said that they might mail me the notification for the suspension. (till now, post 1.5months, i still have not recieved this notification.)

Doing like what he told me, i went down to a local icbc branch and got my license back. (got the yellow interm slip until a few weeks ago when they mailed me the actual drivers license card)

All seemed to have gone well. So i went out and bought a new car last week. and insured it under my name.

MY QUESTION:

SUMMARY:
police took my license away, gave it back, and took it away AGAIN!

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7447752)
We're not quite sure what he means by..." my drivers license issued back to me?". He didn't say that he got it back from the Police after 24 hours, when they seized it for the 215 suspension or if he went to an Access Centre and paid some fee/fine to get it re-issued. Too much speculation here and it's just a waste of cyberspace to speculate. It has been suggested to the OP several times that he talk to a lawyer, not a bunch of well-intentioned but under-informed RS'ers. :)

zulu, i highlighted the section that explains what he did.

zulutango 05-30-2011 07:40 PM

Thanks...I missed that part. Didn't go back far enough I guess. What I can't understand is why the 90 day prohibition was not served at the time? Unless they have changed the process since I did it, the suspension papers were served at the time, otherwise you have to go looking for the driver later and if he's from PG and you are in Nanaimo, that is difficult and could involve asking other Detachments to serve, their required presence in court for any Prohib trial etc.

Vale46Rossi 05-30-2011 07:50 PM

Lawyer up and you won't be too bad, since you did not sign for a prohabition notice that's a good sign for you.

Also with the other evidence you have to prove that you got your license reinstated that's also a good sign.

Unless you did sign for a prohibition notice your lawyer should help you out.

This was from experience of my friend he lawyered up and won but price ain't cheap you are looking at 3-4.5K depending on lawyer

hawkman 05-31-2011 01:29 PM

a prohibition letter should come as registered mail

hi-revs 05-31-2011 02:20 PM

i lawyered up. Yup, Not cheap at all. He's thinking this case will be somewhere around $3-5k.

Prohibition letter still as not come in the mail.