REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   N test tips (https://www.revscene.net/forums/646215-n-test-tips.html)

.Kev. 05-25-2011 09:26 PM

N test tips

Hi everyone, I don't post much and am not trolling.

I went into the chat and we got into moreso joking around so I figured I should post here.

Can anyone give me tips on passing, I will not be taking my vehicle due to not even being able to start the test apparently since my tinted tail lights are illegal.

General tips and what happens in the whole test and how long it is please.

Appreciate it.

iambuRnz 05-25-2011 09:31 PM

dont speed. follow the signs. drive safely = guaranteed pass.

.Kev. 05-25-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambuRnz (Post 7448227)
dont speed. follow the signs. drive safely = guaranteed pass.

thank you, how long is the test anything specific they make you do?

I heard the test has up to 10 points to fail, does this mean if I do everything except parallel park I will pass?

cliffhanger33 05-25-2011 09:45 PM

it could take up to 15 minutes or more, depending on how well and smoothly you do.
Most important thing is FOLLOW ALL ROAD SIGNS!

dont worry so much about parallel parking, gather more points from your other aspects, parallel parking is only a tiny portion of your overall points

.Kev. 05-25-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 (Post 7448246)
it could take up to 15 minutes or more, depending on how well and smoothly you do.
Most important thing is FOLLOW ALL ROAD SIGNS!

dont worry so much about parallel parking, gather more points from your other aspects, parallel parking is only a tiny portion of your overall points

What do you go through?

Does this mean you CAN mess up on parallel parking?

Do you have to do it in certain moves or time period?

BaoTurbo 05-25-2011 10:08 PM

Wat tinted tailights in before N license?

You can mess up parallel parking, or parking in any matter, but you need to ask if you may restart. Most likely they let you because the point is to correct your own mistake and everyone makes mistakes. You can however take ALMOST as long as you can to a reasonable point. You can do it in as many turns as you want basically as well but obviously you want as minimal as possible so it doesn't take too long and it looks as if you are unconfident in your own driving.

I took 30min to do the whole test smoothly and no mistakes except a few pointers here and there about scanning the intersection after the light has turned green. That was my only bad thing.

SpuGen 05-25-2011 10:09 PM

Hey.
Welcome.

Goto the top of the page.
Now look to the right.

See the Search button? There's at least 50 different threads on this.
And a couple years down the road when you need tips on your class 5, refer to the search bar again.

Thanks.

.Kev. 05-25-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaoTurbo (Post 7448283)
Wat tinted tailights in before N license?

You can mess up parallel parking, or parking in any matter, but you need to ask if you may restart. Most likely they let you because the point is to correct your own mistake and everyone makes mistakes. You can however take ALMOST as long as you can to a reasonable point. You can do it in as many turns as you want basically as well but obviously you want as minimal as possible so it doesn't take too long and it looks as if you are unconfident in your own driving.

I took 30min to do the whole test smoothly and no mistakes except a few pointers here and there about scanning the intersection after the light has turned green. That was my only bad thing.

Yeah they are in before- tinted now haven't even done my N test.

So asking to restart is the key? the test or just the park?

instantneedles 05-25-2011 10:15 PM

There are some things that are classified as DA and if u fail that once u fail the whole test.... Cant remember what they were but one of them is u cannot hit the side of a curb.... For everything else, u get to chances, if u fail to show any given portion of the test three times, u fail the test. Remember when u shoulder check, there is no need to do so for left turns unless there is no island on the left and there is no reasonable doubt that someone may pass you... Some examiners are nice and give u more chances but some are really nitpicky and just dont want you on the road...

cho 05-25-2011 10:17 PM

i hit the curb while parallel parking, he just ticked me off as 1 thing wrong
i asked my guy do i need to be exactly 50, he said for HIM he doesn't mind -/+ 3, so i guess maybe ask him with anything before the test

BaoTurbo 05-25-2011 10:20 PM

If you get yelled at and honked...you fail. Means you just made someone angry with your driving skills.

Key is acting like a good boy for an hour. Do all your checks, parks, and everything almost perfect. Pretty much drive really safe and as smooth as possible with minimal mistakes and answer the questions right as well.

Then after the hour of being a good boy, you are finally free of putting the L on the back of your car and someone beside you. Don't you have an instructor?

.Kev. 05-25-2011 10:25 PM

No self taught. What questions are there lol I drove with my L 8 months no getting pulled over so I think I'm decent. I'm just nervous as shit.

Limitless 05-25-2011 10:27 PM

Where are you taking the test at? It might be a good idea to get a few driving lessons and become familiar with all the test routes before you go.
But here are some tips anyways

-Constantly scan left and right when passing an intersection, even if the light is green
-You're allowed to go +/- 3 or 4 km/h from the speed limit
-Watch carefully for signs that change the speed limit
-Check the rear view mirror when braking
-Check all the mirrors every now and then (I've heard as a rumor that someone failed because they didn't check their mirrors often enough)

If you're parking, and you think you finished.. but the instructor stays there and just stares at you without doing anything else, chances are you missed something, so try to see if you missed anything. I messed this up while parallel parking on the VERY slight downhill.. forgot to turn the wheel and sat there for about 30 seconds doing nothing while we just stared at each other through his mirror lol

Googling helps too, there's a ton of pages on other forums about the N test.

Oh and most important tip, stay calm and be confident.

EDIT: Just saw the post on top of this one. Watch out for the bad habits.. I started off exactly the same way but when I got into my first driving lesson before my test my instructor corrected a LOT of things. You can drive with bad habits and it wouldn't cause you to get pulled over or anything, but it will cause you to fail your road test. Watch out for the hazard perception thing too.. I didn't have it on my N test but I think usually they test you on that

DC2aDDicT 05-25-2011 10:27 PM

Read the damn book. Nuff said.
Posted via RS Mobile

BaoTurbo 05-25-2011 10:36 PM

Questions include what side do you put the wheel when you are parking up/down a mountain. I forgot the answers already tho :(

.Kev. 05-25-2011 10:37 PM

I live in Prince George BC.

Also I didn't get a book

BaoTurbo 05-25-2011 10:47 PM

Man an instructor is really worth it and the trouble you have to go through to figure out how to pass the test.

.Kev. 05-25-2011 11:11 PM

My tests this coming tuesday and I work straight til then, meaning I won't make it to an instrctor.