REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 05-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
All Day, Err Day Mod

Nissan 240sx Engine light on: code P1445

Hey guys,

When I got my car back in september, the owner had the engine light on, which pointed to the code P1445 - EVAP Purge Volume Control Valve. Since I have the owners manual, I looked up the code and told me ways to which I can help remove the code; however I can't get at it because the manifold is currently blocking the way.

People said that I can clean the Charcoal canister, since I think the owner might have overfiilled his gas tank... and that the charcoal canister has been dirty for quite some time.

Does any body have experience into clearing this code? If anyone has any questions feel free to ask here in this thread.

Let me know! THanks guys!
Advertisement

Feedback of 40-0-0

-kT: "No man get a ruler and look, 12cm is long!"
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Hopeless Romantic

You've had this CEL on the whole time? I don't remember seeing it when I saw your car...

First thing i'd check to see is probably your gas cap, do you hear it release pressure when you take it off?

Maybe check this out:

http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2006/techtips.htm

Quote:
Common evaporative system problems include:

* an incorrect or defective gas cap
* a sticking open or closed evaporative canister vent control valve
* a canister coming apart inside, allowing charcoal to be distributed throughout the evap system - plugging up the evap canister purge control valve and the evap canister purge volume control valve.

Disconnected, plugged or cracked vacuum lines can also result in evaporative system codes being set.
Seems like a pretty common problem for the PCVC being dirty lol

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Stolen from another forum:

Quote:
The most common problem is a failure of the valve itself. It is located at the top of the intake plenum. Nissan offers an updated valve with a new bracket and hoses. If the updated bracket and hoses HAVE ALREADY been replaced in the past you will only need to replace the valve itself. The valve may be around the $150-$200 price range??

Keep in mind that the valve is the most common failure that I see, but there are also other causes. The system would have to be tested to find the exact cause. You need to decide how to handle the problem.
Luckily, it looks like the Maxima and Infiniti I30 share the same valve? You may be in luck to grab one from the junker yard. I wouldn't worry about the charcoal canister - they rarely, if ever, fail. (That doesn't go to say that it can't happen.) Overfilling the gas tank won't cause this to go off. It's normal for the exterior of the charcoal canister to be dirty. Your problem is the valve itself. Swap it out with a known/good working valve.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
All Day, Err Day Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Stolen from another forum:

Luckily, it looks like the Maxima and Infiniti I30 share the same valve? You may be in luck to grab one from the junker yard. I wouldn't worry about the charcoal canister - they rarely, if ever, fail. (That doesn't go to say that it can't happen.) Overfilling the gas tank won't cause this to go off. It's normal for the exterior of the charcoal canister to be dirty. Your problem is the valve itself. Swap it out with a known/good working valve.
Thanks Mike!

Theres a lot of valves, purge control valve, purge volume control valve, etc. LOL. Sure, the valve can be easily found in junkyards / B&S forum, but the hard part is getting at it. You mentioned that it could be located on the top of the intake plenum? I'll have to find out where that is..

Nick

Feedback of 40-0-0

-kT: "No man get a ruler and look, 12cm is long!"
Nintensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintensity View Post
Theres a lot of valves, purge control valve, purge volume control valve, etc.
I think those are all different ways of describing the same part.

Try to find an exploded view of where the part is located on Nissan specific forums to have an idea of where to look.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Rider

Tighten your gas gap :P