REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Need to know New Fiesta or Focus MPG rating

I would like to see if it cheaper for me to rent a fiesta or new focus than drive my car to California.

What is the real MPG for Fiesta or new Focus, hwy and city? I doubt it will get 5L /100km on hwy.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Cdn EK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
You couldn't just go to ford.ca and look it up?

All New Focus
5.5L/100km highway
7.8L/100km city

Fiesta
5.3L/100km highway
7.1L/100km city
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

I can't wait for the focus RS.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
I wouldn't recommend Fiesta because its brake is weak...
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
The steering sucks on the fiesta too, not sure about the focus, but the electric steering in the fiesta is jittery, might be nerve racking on the highway
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
racing & tech mod.

The fuel economy ratings on windows stickers and in the Energuide book (the company that test fuel economy) DOES NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL FUEL ECONOMY YOU ARE GOING TO GET.

It's purpose is to COMPARE cars, to give you an idea how much better one may be than the next.

The fuel economy that you will ACTUALLY get depends on weather, hills, traffic, and most importantly, YOUR DRIVING STYLE. Most people will never admit that they drive heavy footed or aggressively, but they are the same people that complain that they aren't getting 'the window sticker fuel economy' ....
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoku View Post
I wouldn't recommend Fiesta because its brake is weak...
What makes you say that? Drive one back to back with a Yaris or a Fit - they are all the same shit. They are little crap cars. They are not Porsches. They have little skinny tires and no power. They don't go fast. They don't need vented rotors with 6 piston calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
The steering sucks on the fiesta too, not sure about the focus, but the electric steering in the fiesta is jittery, might be nerve racking on the highway
Done probably 100 test drives with the Fiesta along the upper levels since it came out last year.. not a single person has ever complained about the steering being jittery. In fact the electric steering has 'active nibble control' which actually harmonizes out any steering wobble or drift. Maybe the one you drove was broken.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
What makes you say that? Drive one back to back with a Yaris or a Fit - they are all the same shit. They are little crap cars. They are not Porsches. They have little skinny tires and no power. They don't go fast. They don't need vented rotors with 6 piston calipers.

Done probably 100 test drives with the Fiesta along the upper levels since it came out last year.. not a single person has ever complained about the steering being jittery. In fact the electric steering has 'active nibble control' which actually harmonizes out any steering wobble or drift. Maybe the one you drove was broken.
The Fiesta was brand new... 2011 and it had like 7km. Ford was hosting test drives at my school and I knew it at the last minute... So I checked it out and test drive half of their cars... However I agree with ilvtofu, the steering wheel felt a little weird and i had to brake a little harder than other cars I drove... I never test drive Yaris or Fit, so how am i suppose to know that? Everyone have different tastes when it comes to cars... BUT I'm not a car expert.
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn EK9 View Post
I would like to see if it cheaper for me to rent a fiesta or new focus than drive my car to California.

What is the real MPG for Fiesta or new Focus, hwy and city? I doubt it will get 5L /100km on hwy.

Thanks in advance.
I think it depends on how many days you have the rental for and how much it costs and if you have unlimited kms

A rental is gonna be close to $50/day and you are probably gonna have the car for at least 4 days.. that's $200 right there.. equal to probably 3 fillups stateside. Don't forget gas is a lot cheaper in the states and the cdn dollar is strong.

I made it from LA to Vanc in 20 hours and stopped for gas 2x and had 1/2 tank left when I got to Van.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoku View Post
The Fiesta was brand new... 2011 and it had like 7km. Ford was hosting test drives at my school and I knew it at the last minute... So I checked it out and test drive half of their cars... However I agree with ilvtofu, the steering wheel felt a little weird and i had to brake a little harder than other cars I drove... I never test drive Yaris or Fit, so how am i suppose to know that? Everyone have different tastes when it comes to cars... BUT I'm not a car expert.
Yes, you are right, everyone has different tastes, and brake feel is very subjective. Some people like you and I prefer a harder responsive brake pedal, other prefer a softer one that is less jerky. But I can assure you the Fiesta has pretty much the same brakes as a Yaris or Fit.. just enough to stop quickly from 140kph. (once or twice..LOL)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #11

Budget have rental special for $16/day before July 1. If I can get 5.5L/100km, it would save me money.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

There are a few questions to be asked here...

How many people are you driving? How much gear will you be carrying with you?

Weight will affect the mileage of the Fiesta a lot more than it would in the Focus. If you'll be adding about 600lbs of people and cargo, go for the Focus.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by boibuddha View Post
There are a few questions to be asked here...

How many people are you driving? How much gear will you be carrying with you?

Weight will affect the mileage of the Fiesta a lot more than it would in the Focus. If you'll be adding about 600lbs of people and cargo, go for the Focus.
i would also want to know what type of car do you drive? i personally dont want to put 4000km on my car, but i bet it'd be a much nicer ride than in a focus, so what do you drive and do you care about the mileage?

i dont like small four cylinders on the highway, drove a matrix up to the yukon with 2 friends and it fucking sucked. it wasn't comfortable and there wasn't enough power to get up the hills or pass semis comfortably.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

As for myself, I drive a Pathfinder. Loading up 4-5 people doesn't add much to her 4000lb butt and doesn't vary her mileage by a noticeable amount. I do what I can to get the most out of my gas with slow acceleration and rolling to stop lights.

Since OP is going down to California, I would assume he's taking I-5 so steep inclines are out of the equation. If he was going alone, go for the Fiesta, if not, go with the Focus.

Ideally, a minivan would be my personal choice for a road trip because of the comfort factor but rental companies charge steep prices for them.

If cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands butter side down, what would happen if you strapped burnt toast to the back of a cat and dropped it?
boibuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #15

I rent a Mazda 2 for a week to Alberta. 5,000km driven and fuel mileage was avg 7.4L/100km. 90% hwy driven.

I barely saved on fuel money, but I saved $40 on oil change if I drove my car.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think that's the thing with the newer cars.. They are optimized for high efficiency for city travel/ stop and go traffic.. on the highway especially on hilly stretches, the differences in fuel efficiency advantage is not that big; since in the end you still need power to get up there.

Quote:
I rent a Mazda 2 for a week to Alberta. 5,000km driven and fuel mileage was avg 7.4L/100km. 90% hwy driven.

I barely saved on fuel money, but I saved $40 on oil change if I drove my car.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
racing & tech mod.

Not to mention, the Mazda2 is the same chassis as the Ford Fiesta, but it has a shittier engine and shittier transmission, and has to work HARDER on the highway just to stay at the speed limit. As godwin said, some cars are optimised for city driving. You might have gotten better fuel economy with a 2.0L Focus on the highway.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Since you're looking at both Fiesta/Forcus, I am guessing that you are renting @ Budget?
I would take the Focus if only it's the 2012+ model. The seats are much more comfortable, and the ride quality is much better than the Fiesta (I have experiences with both Fiesta SES hatch and Focus Titanium hatchs).

The Focus is supposed to return similar FE with the Powershift (DSG) tranny.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Ford Fiesta MPG Reports | Fuelly
and
Ford Focus MPG Reports | Fuelly
legin_k is offline   Reply With Quote