REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Soundproofing Windows?

Need some suggestions in soundproofing our master room window.The window faces a rather large street and it gets quite loud during traffic. Looking for some suggestion in sound proofing it. The window is a single sliding window.

I've already added a new liner in the inside and outside of it but the sound still comes in. Any suggestions? Shops to try? Tips?
Advertisement
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

You could get some thick blinds, but that will block out sunlight. Only thing i can think of is to get a double pane window. They help reduce outside nose, They hold in heat better in the summer reducing your heating costs and in the summer they can help keep the hot air out and your house nice and cool.
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:01 AM   #3

Bring this thread back up to see if anyone else has further ideas and recommendations..

Can't change the windows as the Strata in our complex won't allow.

We might consider putting some 3M covering over the window to create a sound barrier. But not sure how that will work. Not worried about opening the window, as it never gets opened.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Is it an older condo with single pane windows? If you can't change the windows to double pane, then try putting up some heavy curtains. That helped a bit when we had single pane windows, but last year I had the entire house re-done with double pane windows and man, what a difference in noise and heating/cooling.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Is it an older condo with single pane windows? If you can't change the windows to double pane, then try putting up some heavy curtains. That helped a bit when we had single pane windows, but last year I had the entire house re-done with double pane windows and man, what a difference in noise and heating/cooling.
Its a townhouse, with the original double plane windows from 13 years ago.. I'll look into the strata rules to see if we are allowed to change the windows.

Could you refer me the window company you went to?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
Its a townhouse, with the original double plane windows from 13 years ago.. I'll look into the strata rules to see if we are allowed to change the windows.

Could you refer me the window company you went to?
A-1 Windows is a good choice.

Find the measurement specs of the window, bring it in and choose the style of window you want.

You can have them install it as well.

http://www.a1windows.ca/
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
A-1 Windows is a good choice.

Find the measurement specs of the window, bring it in and choose the style of window you want.

You can have them install it as well.

Welcome to A-1 Windows manufacturing LTD. - Main page
I stay away from anything A1, they also make doors and the only reason why they are still in business is because they are 20% cheaper than other companies out there...horrible...
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M5 View Post
I stay away from anything A1, they also make doors and the only reason why they are still in business is because they are 20% cheaper than other companies out there...horrible...
Seriously?

Parents replaced all the windows with the double pane, and it did the job.

What exactly is wrong with them? And any suggestions for the OP?
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
Seriously?

Parents replaced all the windows with the double pane, and it did the job.

What exactly is wrong with them? And any suggestions for the OP?
I like to deal with Starline, Euroline and Gienow. It all comes down to the hardware and glass. We use Oasis for townhouses and they come with shit hardware and the glass is wavy. We notice on the bigger windows that its not exactly square (top width to bottom width is like 1/4 inch out).

Another thing to watch out for is windows that are black. Most window companies out there do black or custom colors by painting the vinyl itself, the problem with that is the vinyl will absorb a lot of heat when its painted a dark color and the material will break down. I am building a house right now that will have black windows and I have decided to go with Gienow. Its because the exterior of the window is metal claded and they powder coat the metal instead of the vinyl.

For replacement windows, I think vinyltek is not bad and their prices is pretty good. Makre sure you get the low-e argon filled and if you want to have better soundproofing without breaking the bank. a 4 mil laminated outer pane with 3 mil inside pane will offset the sound pretty well. Its around 25% more in cost if you go that route. triple pane is like 100% more in price than a normal double 3 mil.
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice. For the time being I am going to try the Solid Thermal Insulated Back Tap Blackout Curtains..

Got them on Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Insulated-Blackout-Curtain-Set-BLACK/dp/B001A63XTS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323454249&sr=8-1
If that doesn't work we'll look at new windows.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Founder, RS Veteran

sorry, i'm not familiar with townhouses and strata...

.. but with houses, people plant trees and bushes on the front lawn. This muffles the traffic noise. That's why you see houses along 41st and granville decked out with trees and bushes.

Landscaping Tips to Reduce Traffic Noise | eHow.com

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Heavy curtains, with some serious thermal insulated backing's will make a big difference.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
You might also want to take a peak inside your walls, open up a light switch and pry the electrical box back a bit. I found an exterior wall of my townhouse had no insulation, thus was noisy and cold. It happens, these units are built cheap and fast.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote