REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   lol (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647186-lol.html)

1exotic 06-07-2011 09:38 PM

lol

anyone else get this message?

Hi there
I'm a reporter at the Vancouver Sun, writing a story about stolen N signs. I saw your post from last year about how you were ticketed for not displaying your 'N' sign, but in fact you lost it. Would you be willing to do a quick interview with me today about stolen 'N' signs, and your own experience with yours being stolen?

Let me know asap, my number is 604 605 2193. Or you can e-mail me at slaw@vancouversun.com

My deadline is 1pm.

Best,
Stephanie

FN-2199 06-07-2011 09:41 PM

That's hilarious. Stolen N epidemic hitting the Vancouver Sun?

impactX 06-07-2011 09:53 PM

So... did you talk to Stephanie Law? :fullofwin:

s300ae 06-07-2011 10:00 PM

sounds like an intern.

they work hard, for free.

interns are hot.

knight604 06-07-2011 10:25 PM

lol wot?

http://twitter.com/#!/lawsteph

s300ae 06-07-2011 10:51 PM

More like WAT...

What
A
Troll

She's not a hot intern at all. My theory is fucked.
Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 06-08-2011 03:54 AM

Anyone bet that the Sun story will show that the Cops are targeting young drivers and harassing them for no reason? Anyone with the intelegence required to pass the computer test and 1st road test to get their N should be able to figure out a way to follow the restrictions written on the back of their DL. I never ever issued a VT for the "L" not being displayed but often when stopping violators for other reasons, found that the N driver did not have the N there. Wonder why nobody ever steals/looses/forgets/ has it fall off/have it behind dark tint/have it flat on the rear deck etc...the required L new driver sign? Wonder if the investigative reporter from the Sun will ask those questions? Bet they don't unless they are reading these posts....and then I don't expect the facts to get in the way of their story.

LenovoTurbo 06-08-2011 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7463952)
Wonder why nobody ever steals/looses/forgets/ has it fall off/have it behind dark tint/have it flat on the rear deck etc...the required L new driver sign?

I think it's because when they got their N, they think if they drive like they have few years experience, cops won't bother them. So they just leave their N on the car and never check to see if its still there or not. Learners usually don't drive as often so they remove it everytime they finish "practicing".

When i was still an N, i never got pulled over. After i got my class 5, i got pulled over 5 times within 2 months checking to see if i was violating any restrictions. I was glad i had a habit of removing the magnet when i park and sticking it back on before i drive.

zulutango 06-08-2011 05:15 AM

I just googled the reporter's website..got this info.

Stephanie Law

@lawsteph coast salish territory

journalist, epidemiologist and firm believer in social justice. temporarily at the Vancouver Sun.

http://www.lawsteph.com/

Yep. No chance of any biases or pre-conceptions possible there. As expected, firmly in the typical extreme left wing camp. The company she keeps and the positions they support are very interesting, to say the least.

zulutango 06-08-2011 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MintyGreenTea (Post 7463957)
I think it's because when they got their N, they think if they drive like they have few years experience, cops won't bother them. So they just leave their N on the car and never check to see if its still there or not. Learners usually don't drive as often so they remove it everytime they finish "practicing".

When i was still an N, i never got pulled over. After i got my class 5, i got pulled over 5 times within 2 months checking to see if i was violating any restrictions. I was glad i had a habit of removing the magnet when i park and sticking it back on before i drive.

I'm glad you were able to figure out how too comply with your restrictions. Wasn't very difficult was it? I believe that you have hit on the real reason for the differences between the N and L drivers, and how they handle the signs...attitude.

danned 06-08-2011 07:04 AM

just talk to her man

k3mps 06-08-2011 09:51 AM

I have my N sign stuck up against the back windshield which is slightly tined (factory).
I do this because I have had 3 N signs stolen. I put my third sign slighty under the license plate thinking noone would ply my license plate to get my N, but they did. Came back to find out my license plate was half off ..... Which is why I keep my N inside my car
Posted via RS Mobile

RevRav 06-08-2011 10:10 AM

So...how was the date :fullofwin:

zulutango 06-08-2011 07:49 PM

Did the article actually make it to print?

tiger_handheld 06-08-2011 08:05 PM

Why doesn't stephanie just start a thread and ask questions ... builds a better relationship that way.

Matlock 06-08-2011 08:54 PM

After I got my class 5 I got pulled over for speeding with a warning...
The officer asked me, "did you just get this?"
I answered, "yes."
"Do you have your N sign displayed?"
"No, it's a class 5. Class 5 doesn't need an N."

Le sigh....
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 06-09-2011 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7465036)
Why doesn't stephanie just start a thread and ask questions ... builds a better relationship that way.

maybe b/c if the dialogue is out in the open on a thread there's less opportunity for her to spin it?

Bainne 06-10-2011 11:13 AM

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...134/story.html

Quote:

"We wanted to make them easier to read for other road users and enforcement officers — that was the primary design improvement we were looking for."

Actually the new Velcro system sounds smart. I had used those plastic pouches for my signs, because a few of my cars physically didn't have enough room on the outside truck - but in the summer they constantly melted away, and I would be sticking sticking them back up multiple times throughout the day.

Those damn things cost me a good $400 +-

zulutango 06-10-2011 11:46 AM

"Neither ICBC, the RCMP nor the Vancouver police department have estimates on how often these signs are stolen or how much the theft costs the system."

Why is the estimation of the costs involved in "stolen" N signs the job of the Police? I would have had to polygraph every single driver I stopped to see if they were lying to avoid a ticket (is that possible in today's world?) or investigate to see if they really were the victim of thef...but considering the N is actually the property of ICBC then the driver really isn't the victim. We have all heard of drivers who continually were the "victims of N theft" on repeated occasions. One would think they wouldn't leave them on at any time in high theft areas, and specially after loosing them previously? There is no practical way to calculate the value of "stolen N's" because there is no way to calculate how many were actually stolen and how many were lost, fell off or were never there in the first place. Maybe some investigative reporting by the Sun could supply us with that answer?

MindBomber 06-10-2011 01:53 PM

How does being left wing create a bias on N theft?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7463964)
I just googled the reporter's website..got this info.

Stephanie Law

@lawsteph coast salish territory

journalist, epidemiologist and firm believer in social justice. temporarily at the Vancouver Sun.

http://www.lawsteph.com/

Yep. No chance of any biases or pre-conceptions possible there. As expected, firmly in the typical extreme left wing camp. The company she keeps and the positions they support are very interesting, to say the least.

Posted via RS Mobile

zulutango 06-10-2011 02:30 PM

She says that stolen N's are a problem that is costing taxpayers and the Police are not doing anything about it. She then infers that the Police should be doing something about it because it is costing money.

You don't need the Govt to spend our money to redesign the N becaue of theft. If N's are being stolen then a 4 year old can figure out that removing it when you park the car and reinstalling it just before you drive away, will prevent that. How about approaching it from that angle? Why are drivers not doing just that? Why didn't she ask Sam McDonald why he lost his N on "numerous occasions"?? "Sam, why didn't you catch on after the first theft. Did you ever hear about N's being stolen from parked cars? Why did you continue to leave them on the outside of your car and permit them to be removed".

MindBomber 06-10-2011 07:36 PM

That doesn't answer my previous question in the least, I'm not sure if you were even trying to or if your last post is just part of an ongoing rant. I guess to many kids told you someone stole their N..

Regardless, I'd still like an answer to my question as to how her political bias has influenced her position in the article.
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 06-11-2011 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7467708)
Regardless, I'd still like an answer to my question as to how her political bias has influenced her position in the article.
Posted via RS Mobile

i dont think zulutango implied that the article has bias at all. he just commented (before it was out) that it would have some sort of bias (albeit sarcastically :whistle:)

i think it's challenging to write an article with absolutely no bias as usually some stance has to be taken, or will be taken when writing an article.

MindBomber 06-11-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 7468136)
i dont think zulutango implied that the article has bias at all. he just commented (before it was out) that it would have some sort of bias (albeit sarcastically :whistle:)

i think it's challenging to write an article with absolutely no bias as usually some stance has to be taken, or will be taken when writing an article.

Unless your writing for the finance section I can't imagine it being possible to write an article without a bias, the question is what bias is present.

I'm young, so I'm biased towards supporting the young drivers.

Zulutango, given his career, is biased towards supporting the police position.

The writer, being politically left wing, is biased towards.. voting green? I don't see a connection between social politics and "stolen" N signs.

The solution to young drivers losing their Ns frequently is simple, stop giving them away for free!
Posted via RS Mobile

ImKai 06-11-2011 05:31 PM

best solution put it in the car or nail it outside the car :) then no one will steal it ! and don't understand why people steal it they can just get it for free at ICBC lol..