REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Fail to obey traffic control device section 125 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/647316-fail-obey-traffic-control-device-section-125-a.html)

jaybe 06-09-2011 02:18 PM

Fail to obey traffic control device section 125

Today I stopped my car near a Burnaby bus stop and I got ticketed for violating Section 125: Fail to obey traffic control device, $121 and 2pts.

Has anyone been caught parking near/at a bus stop? I think the fine is unreasonably steep, $121 and 2pts!! That's basically the same as running a red light or stop sign.

Any does anyone know whether stopping near/at a bus stop considered violation of "Motor vehicle act" or "bylaw act"?

k3mps 06-09-2011 02:47 PM

yes it is, that's why there are signs that say no parking in the bus zone.
it's a bus stop for a reason, busses stop there.
iif a bus cant stop there because someone decided to park there, then people behind him will get stuck, and traffic won't move if it's busy.
trust me i've been in a traffic jam cuz some retard decided to park at a bus stop and left, while the bus was trapped on a 1 way.

sho_bc 06-09-2011 02:49 PM

The fine for red lights is $167 and 3 points. Hardly the same.

There are traffic control devices (signs) prohibiting you from stopping in a bus stop. If you disobey them, you are disobeying a traffic control device.

jaybe 06-09-2011 02:50 PM

But what if I was still in the vehicle with the ignition still on?

sho_bc 06-09-2011 02:51 PM

The signs around bus stops are generally "no stopping" signs. I don't know which bus stop you stopped at, but chances are pretty good that it was a no stopping sign. If you stopped there, you were disobeying a traffic control device.

wstce92 06-09-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7466008)
The fine for red lights is $167 and 3 points. Hardly the same.

There are traffic control devices (signs) prohibiting you from stopping in a bus stop. If you disobey them, you are disobeying a traffic control device.

OP is right. 2 points for red light.

jaybe 06-09-2011 02:57 PM

But isn't that a little bit steep? Cause for disobeying traffic devices would result in collisions or fatal harms to other.

sho_bc 06-09-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstce92 (Post 7466016)
OP is right. 2 points for red light.

My mistake. Had thought it to be 3.

RevRav 06-09-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybe (Post 7466018)
But isn't that a little bit steep? Cause for disobeying traffic devices would result in collisions or fatal harms to other.

Steep? Go try taking the public transit for a month.
Next time your bus get hold up during rush hour to work, just cause
some fag decided to park at the bus stop....let me know how it feels.

jaybe 06-09-2011 03:21 PM

In comparison with a collision for running a red light?

According to the regulation, you cannot stop within 5m of a bus stop. But at that point of time, my vehicle was more than 8m in front of the bus stop.

So I am thinking that everyone think this is a violation of MVA and not bylaw parking

k3mps 06-09-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybe (Post 7466042)
In comparison with a collision for running a red light?

According to the regulation, you cannot stop within 5m of a bus stop. But at that point of time, my vehicle was more than 8m in front of the bus stop.

So I am thinking that everyone think this is a violation of MVA and not bylaw parking

if you are parked within the signs, doens't matter if the sings are 20m away form the stop, you are still breaking the law.
heck even if the bus stop was in the middle of a 100m block, if there are signs on the ends of the street that say "no not park within these signs", do not park there.

k3mps 06-09-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevRav (Post 7466026)
Steep? Go try taking the public transit for a month.
Next time your bus get hold up during rush hour to work, just cause
some fag decided to park at the bus stop....let me know how it feels.

this ^^
i've been a victim to many times before i had my N

jaybe 06-09-2011 03:45 PM

I understand that, but there are two different laws which is MVA (provincial) and bylaw (city).

I do admit that I broke the law, but to which law? and which fine is it suppose to be. I understand that there are many people who park at places where it is designated for certain vehicles only.

But when disobeying Traffic Control Device consist of running red lights, stop signs, emergency flashing lights, illegal u-turn -- which all DriveSmartBC: "Place yourself or others at risk"

Which parking in a bus zone or no parking sign is considered "Parking Enforcement" which falls into the category of Bylaw regulation.

The main point is that I just don't understand it is a violation of Motor Vehicle Act and not Bylaw

jaybe 06-09-2011 03:45 PM

Does anyone know the law well?

zulutango 06-09-2011 03:57 PM

Disobey a traffic control device is 2 points, running a red light is 3. The only way you would get 2 points for running a red is if you got a disobey ticket for running the red..."disobey traffic control device-red light at intersection" . You can look a the back of the MV Act Regs and see the fines and points assigned to each section.

jaybe 06-09-2011 04:17 PM

So stopping at a no stopping sign is considered a violation of Motor Vehicle Act and not Bylaw?

jaybe 06-09-2011 04:24 PM

it's just the phrase "disobeying traffic control devices" would become really vague. ie: not paying for parking at a meter, stopping on Robson St. at 4pm when it states "No parking from 3pm-6pm".

Any of those is eligible for a fine of $121 and 2pts deduction?

jaybe 06-09-2011 04:56 PM

Shouldn't that be considered "Stop Where Prohibited"?

To my understanding, usually violation of irregular parking is ticketed and/or towed with two fines to pay:1) prohibited parking ticket 2)fees for getting the vehicle out of the pound (if towed)

zulutango 06-09-2011 07:47 PM

"traffic control device" means a sign, signal, line, meter, marking, space, barrier or device, not inconsistent with this Part, placed or erected by authority of the minister responsible for the administration of the Transportation Act, the council of a municipality or the governing body of a treaty first nation or a person authorized by any of them to exercise that authority;

2 parts..(1).. .it must be errected...by the province,or a city council..(2)...and must be a TCD as described in the MV Regs.

Division 23 — Traffic Control Devices

Special interpretation

23.01 In this Division:

"authority" means the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure or the council of a municipality in which a traffic control signal system is placed, erected or maintained, and includes a person duly authorized by either of them;

Rich Sandor 06-09-2011 09:31 PM

I believe that you may dispute the fine amount for this violation ticket, if you truly feel it is out of line and that you will be forced into financial hardship by paying it. Depending on the situation, as why you stopped, where you stopped in relation to the sign (how much of the no stopping zone did you actually occupy) - you may be lucky and get a sympathetic JP. If it was me I'd tell you to man up and pay the fine or else don't disobey OBVIOUS signs. :)

zulutango 06-10-2011 05:32 AM

Just to make this really simple....if you got a municipal ticket then you were charged for a municipal law...if you got a Provincial VT and signed it and were given the blue copy by the issuing Police...you were charged for breaking a Provincial law.

melloman 06-14-2011 02:42 PM

I'm curious by this..

OP: Were you actually handed a ticket by a police officer??

OR

Did you come back to find the ticket on your car??