REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

do you get points for a red light camera ticket?

Does the registered owner get points for a red light camera ticket?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

no
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

So no one gets points?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #4
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
You don't get points but you pay the fine, that's all...
But if you take it to the court, you may get points for being guilty.
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #5

On the icbc website it says if you nominate someone they will get driver premium points so for my friends sake I might as well not nominate and just pay the fine to help him avoid points?

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
retired

It doesn't carry points. If your friend was driving your car, just have him/her pay for it.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
b92
Banned (ABWS)

I believe red light cameras are there for intimidation or so I heard from a friend. I have been snapped two times last year and never received anything in the mail and also no tickets on record except when I got pulled over a few weeks ago. Anyone can confirm?
b92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #8
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

They don't have enough cameras so they rotate them around the different locations. By the way, so you are running lights cause the cameras don't intimidate you? I sure hope you get snapped by one with a camera next time.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
I am grateful grapefruit

They're changing the cameras to digital ones, because the old cameras are film and take much longer to develop and issue tickets to.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...1-ce419cf8a098

Quote:
The number of red-light camera sites in Vancouver and Surrey will roughly double under a major expansion of the program launched by ICBC on Tuesday.

Under the new program, the overall increase in red-light cameras across B.C. will be a relatively modest 17 per cent, to 140 sites from 120.

But new criteria ICBC used to determine where to put those cameras means they will become much more concentrated in B.C.'s two largest cities than before.

Based on data provided by ICBC, the number of red-light cameras in Vancouver will jump to 46 from 25 and in Surrey to 29 from 13.

In contrast, Victoria and Saanich will see their number of red-light cameras drop from five each to just one.

Kamloops, Nanaimo, Kelowna and Prince George -- all of which had four red-light cameras under the old program -- also will drop to just one camera a piece.

Nicolas Jimenez, ICBC's head of road safety, said the shift in cameras is due to sophisticated new criteria ICBC used to identify where red-light cameras would have the most impact, such as where T-bone crashes and injuries are most prevalent.

"We let the data do the talking," he said. "There are definitely some communities with fewer sites ... and that's simply a function of what the data are telling us."

Jimenez said residents in communities losing red-light cameras shouldn't be concerned about their safety. In many cases, he said, the cameras are being removed because they weren't having that much of an impact.

"I'm not convinced [those intersections] are going to become more dangerous than they were before," he said. "The bottom line is they weren't effective enough to warrant being in the program."

Jimenez said major cities have more traffic than smaller ones, which means red-light cameras can have a bigger impact in larger centres.

And he said moving cameras to the worst intersections in Vancouver and Surrey will ultimately benefit all B.C. drivers in the form of fewer claims and lower premiums.

And the number of functional red-light cameras will more than quadruple under the expanded program.

That's because while there were 120 intersections in the old program, there were only 30 film cameras, which were rotated on a regular basis from site to site.

The new program will install fully functional digital cameras at all 140 sites, significantly increasing the chances of offenders being caught and reducing the time it takes to send out the $167 tickets.

The insurer says 35 of the 140 sites went live on Tuesday and the remainder will become operational by year's end. All the old cameras have already been removed.

With new digital cameras at all 140 sites, authorities in theory could catch many times more red-light runners than they did before.

However, ICBC says it will not activate all of the cameras all of the time, to avoid a backlash from the public.

"We're not doing this to flood the market with tickets. We're doing this to deter people from doing really high-risk things," said Jimenez. "The goal is to have essentially 35, or a quarter, of the cameras running at any given time."

Jimenez said that figure could rise to 60 during peak periods like rush hour.

Overall, ICBC is expecting the new program to increase the number of red-light tickets issued per year to 33,000 from 23,000.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
I subscribe to Revscene

Here's one good thing about the US:

Quote:
One of the oldest traffic laws on Florida's books has been struck down by a Broward County judge, and now, as long as red light cameras are working, it is unconstitutional for police to ticket red light runners.

[...]
Read more...

The jist is because the same violation carries two different punishments based on how it is enforced it is unconstitutional. Don't we have the same sort of thing here?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

....if you attempt to run a red light....you increase your risk of getting into a accident by 90%
Old 06-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Considering that the majority of crashes happen at intersections, I could never figure why anybody would want to rush to be first at the crash scene? That's the question I ask all my driving/riding students.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Considering that the majority of crashes happen at intersections
Why are the majority of speed traps that I see not at intersections?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote