REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #1501
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I want to get RS's take on this because me and a friend have been arguing about the riots.

He was one of the thousands who stayed downtown that night to watch and take it all in. He didn't do any vandalism at all, but he straight up told me that he needed to "experience it first hand" and the only way to be aware of what is happening is to be in the heart of the action.

So he was one of those people with his cellphone running around snapping pics and taking it all in which I think is completely idiotic from my standpoint because if it was people like him, the cops could have gotten to the true rioters A LOT faster.

When he was living in Toronto he took part of the G20 standoff as well and was in the thick of things.

While I understand that many people are claiming that they were downtown to take pictures of the rioters to turn into police, when does that become a bad excuse since their first admittance is they just wanted to be a part of it all?

Does it make a person an accomplice if they are simply standing and watching while other people are injured/stabbed etc. or property is damaged, just to experience it first hand like it is a form of entertainment?

Where do you draw the line?
I definitely see where you are coming at. The truth is, it is human nature to observe things, especially things that are novel, unique, or don't happen everyday. It just isn't easy for some people to just go home when they are in the mist of action. Just like how some of us just can't stop watching the riot on the news and TV, or even investigating and being part of the debate of this riot.

In short, the people who are watching crime happen as a form of entertainment are not an accomplice to any of those actions. It can be said to be immoral, but not illegal.

Certainly, the crowd of destruction outnumbers the people who opposes to riot. How many people are brave enough to step up? And how many riot opposes would it take to stop the violence or possibly prevent it? Would it even be possible? Just for thoughts.

PS: I personally feel ashamed for the people who take pictures, record fires and criminal acts taking place, not for the sake of obtaining evidence against rioters, but for the sake of "being there" and entertainment.
Advertisement

Last edited by hear-it-first; 06-17-2011 at 02:40 PM.
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #1502
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmHYS...mbedded#at=205
I am so sad and surprised to see how FEW people stood up against these criminals ...

I always thought the majority of Vancouverites are the nicest, most educated, and most moral people in the world.
We would give up our seats to seniors on public transit, we would intervene when a fight broke out between some random strangers, we would stop a thief when we see one stealing from other people we don't even know....

Yet the majority that night stood idle and watch, while a bunch of criminals vandalize, steal, and assault some helpless girls...
Are you serious? Did you see what happened to those few who were brave enough to do that? They got pummeled by a group of people and pepper sprayed.

Even that Steve Austin look-a-like who is fucking ripped and huge got his ass kicked.

Ya I know we all were raged and would love to beat down these idiots but the reality is there are too many of them and too many of them are idiots who pray for this stuff. you're just gonna get hurt.

Unless you're defending your own property (store, car, etc.) is it really worth getting hurt trying to defend the Louis Vutton store?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there
(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・$$$$$゜゜・。*。・゜*✧ .

xxx~*…like dis post if u cry evry time…~*xxx

Last edited by DanHibiki; 06-17-2011 at 01:20 PM.
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #1503
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

There were a lot of good people that night, but for every one of them, there were 20 scumbags, and maybe 200 people who stood by and watch and pretend this is none of their business.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #1504

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
Are you serious? Did you see what happened to those few who were brave enough to do that? They got pummeled by a group of people and pepper sprayed.

Even that Steve Austin look-a-like who is fucking ripped and huge got his ass kicked.

Ya I know we all were raged and would love to beat down these idiots but the reality is there are too many of them and too many of them are idiots who pray for this stuff and you're just gonna get hurt.
What i saw was the bystanders FAR OUT NUMBER the criminals and the good people...
There were hundreds of people looking while 5-10 guys vandalized the car and 3 girls tried to defend it...

Last edited by Ferra; 06-17-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #1505
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,621 Posts
Quote:
Spoiler!
tell your friend he's an idiot. if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. people who enabled the rioters were just as guilty. the rioter's focus is getting attention from the crowd and getting as many people to participate as possible. people who were defending the city and taking pictures for evidence are the only ones who i felt had a right to do what they did. i'm not saying everyone should have fought back against the rioters and potentially risk their well being/lives. what i'm saying is if you don't stick around to watch this shit, it helps.

i really scratch my head when being a good samaritan has been replaced with "hey, i'm just here soaking it in. it's not my fault". to these people, with all my heart, i say fuck you and gtfo of our city.

was it acceptable when people took pictures at the tourist bus shooting in the phillipines? i don't fucking think so. so why do people think it's acceptable to take pictures with burning cars and watch all of the innocent victims get brutalized? these were just car owners, business owners, and good samaritans.

my friend had his car flipped upside down that night. i felt horrible for his loss as it was his project car that he had put many hours into.

it went from this:

to this:

and for WHAT exactly? so idiots like your friend could get some entertainment? fuck your friend and all the idiots like him.
Spoiler!

Last edited by spoon.ek9; 06-17-2011 at 06:46 PM.
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #1506
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
just a heads up to try and post pictures of people who need to be ID'd to the dirty..seems like a few names have been associated to their pictures on there
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #1507
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAnthony View Post
and stteve nash was tweeting about how disgusted he was with the riots. im sure he'll be ecstatic when he discovers it was one of his employees
Posted via RS Mobile
which one does he work at??
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #1508
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
There were a lot of good people that night, but for every one of them, there were 20 scumbags, and maybe 200 people who stood by and watch and pretend this is none of their business.
Yes but you never know who is against you, who will help and who will turn a blind eye to someone getting stomped. I feel for the people who got there cars and shops vandalised but its not worth it to try and protect it with the mob that was out that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
to this:
That dude laying down infront of the car was he knocked out?
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #1509
KVG
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
I want to get RS's take on this because me and a friend have been arguing about the riots.

He was one of the thousands who stayed downtown that night to watch and take it all in. He didn't do any vandalism at all, but he straight up told me that he needed to "experience it first hand" and the only way to be aware of what is happening is to be in the heart of the action.

So he was one of those people with his cellphone running around snapping pics and taking it all in which I think is completely idiotic from my standpoint because if it was people like him, the cops could have gotten to the true rioters A LOT faster.

When he was living in Toronto he took part of the G20 standoff as well and was in the thick of things.

While I understand that many people are claiming that they were downtown to take pictures of the rioters to turn into police, when does that become a bad excuse since their first admittance is they just wanted to be a part of it all?

Does it make a person an accomplice if they are simply standing and watching while other people are injured/stabbed etc. or property is damaged, just to experience it first hand like it is a form of entertainment?

Your friend is a tool and he just encourages shit like this.
KVG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #1510
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
Spoiler!
A guy got crushed in front of the car?
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #1511
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
i think i remember seeing your friend's car when i was walking to waterfront to take the skytrain and it was still untouched
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post

Ya I know we all were raged and would love to beat down these idiots but the reality is there are too many of them and too many of them are idiots who pray for this stuff and you're just gonna get hurt.

Unless you're defending your own property (store, car, etc.) is it really worth getting hurt trying to defend the Louis Vutton store?
I know it sounds chessy, but going out of our way to do the right thing is what makes our society great...

It is what distinguish us from things like this
(thief pickpockets while hundreds of pedestrians watch and no one said a word...) They are probably thinking the same thing ... why risk being targeted and assaulted by group of thiefs trying to protect someone else's property?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #1513
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:

Simply watching or taking photos or videos is borderline but I'd say they could have done better by leaving the scene. The police and fire dept did say that one major problem was one of access. They couldn't get to where they needed to be because of the sheer number of people in such a crowded area.

What's wrong is when you start cheering or posing for photos. That makes you an instigator because others will follow your lead due to mob mentality. I still do not understand what these supposedly innocent bystanders were thinking when they cheered or posed for photos in front of the riots to show their friends. "Woooo, its a party here tonight, time to start cheering even if I don't understand what I'm cheering for!" or "Look ma, I was at the riots tonight and I'm so happy to be here right in front of this burning car!". What idiots.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #1514
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
I know it sounds chessy, but going out of our way to do the right thing is what makes our society great...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9jpn...&feature=share
(thief pickpockets while hundreds of pedestrians watch and no one said a word...) They are probably thinking the same thing ... why risk being targeted and assaulted by group of thiefs trying to protect someone else's property?
Do u seriously think the pick pockets and the riots are even remotely the same. I can gaurantee u if that shit happened in vancouver they would get boot fucked. In the riots people stood in fear of getting hurt cause guess what? There were plenty of people already that got hurt for defending city property. In large crowds like that u dont know whose with u or against u
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #1515
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
Yes but you never know who is against you, who will help and who will turn a blind eye to someone getting stomped. I feel for the people who got there cars and shops vandalised but its not worth it to try and protect it with the mob that was out that night.
Exactly. While I was filming I saw one of my friends girlfriend (she was with another girl) getting harassed by these 2 brown guys. Later I found out that guy was following her and kept grabbing her ass. I stood between them telling him to stop but he kept coming at her. I can't say I didn't want to take a swing at him, but in the back of my mind I also didn't want to look like the easy to target asian kid and get jumped by these rowdy fucks who don't need to take sides and just want to be a part of hurting someone.
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #1516

Quote:
What i saw was the bystanders FAR OUT NUMBER the criminals and the good people...
There were hundreds of people looking while 5-10 guys vandalized the car and 3 girls tried to defend it...
And unless you can somehow telepathically find out which of these by-standers are good people willing to fight the rioters, send a message out to them all, find out how many of these people are willing to fight the rioters, hope they they out number the rioters at least 2-1, you're just gonna get your ass beat trying to jump in there by yourself.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there

Old 06-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #1517

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9jpn...&feature=share
I believe Asia is different than North America in that they really believe in minding their own business. I've seen videos of people get hit by a car and laying on the ground with no one willing to help.

I'm sure if people tried to pickpocket out in the open like that in North America, most people would do something about it.

But the riots in Vancouver is a totally different animal.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hi there

This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #1518
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts
Those rioters are chanting "fuck Boston fuck Boston..." OKAY then.. go fuck Boston, don't fuck with city we are living in... at the end of the day money comes out of our pockets to repair the damages.
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #1519
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^^ i agree 100%...dumb rioters
terryjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #1520
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHawk View Post

charlie nguyen
derek shun
travis lai
jonathan (cousin of derek shun)

i see these guys workout at thunderbird community center
I was there when this happened, the reason why they were beating that guy was because that guy hit a girl.
mlee_6o4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #1521
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,753 Times in 353 Posts

0:28. I thought he was going to start eating the sign...
Bahhbeehhaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #1522
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmHYS...mbedded#at=205
I am so sad and surprised to see how FEW people stood up against these criminals ...

I always thought the majority of Vancouverites are the nicest, most educated, and most moral people in the world.
We would give up our seats to seniors on public transit, we would intervene when a fight broke out between some random strangers, we would stop a thief when we see one stealing from other people we don't even know....

Yet the majority that night stood idle and watch, while a bunch of criminals vandalize, steal, and assault some helpless girls...
The "nice and intelligent" left as soon as possible when bozo fans starting to pelt garbage at the screens and set garbage cans on fire. The hundreds that remained after repeated demands by the police to disperse were mostly bozos who wanted to either participate in the riot or watch and cheer the rioters on. With very few exceptions, everyone in the mob is guilty in one way or another.
cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #1523
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
LV store;

Trying to break into HR (8:50 mark) and stolen LV stuff came from the display window at HR and not the LV store;

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #1524
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
lol what a gay picture have you ever put your hands on a guys hips when taking a pic lolol
Possible hover hands.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #1525
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
this manlet wont be hard for the police to find

InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: