REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #2201
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
so apparently im going to be in tomorrow's 24 newspaper. Somoene keep an eye out for my name (andreas)
Advertisement
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #2202
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I remember posting this guy right after the riots, lol.

http://thedirty.com/2011/06/ashamed-of-my-people/
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #2203
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
so apparently im going to be in tomorrow's 24 newspaper. Somoene keep an eye out for my name (andreas)
what happened?
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #2204
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

http://www.gigapixel.com/image/gigatag-canucks-g7.html

Pick out your favourite rioter
victorbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #2205
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

anyone work out at the ubc birdcoop?

pretty sure the camille chick works at the front desk there ...
anl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #2206
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
what happened?
I dunno, my manager came and informed me that I will be in tomorrows 24. I think it's for carrying the guy to the hospital.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #2207
Rs has made me the man i am today!

How dare she change her story!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #2208
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
halfer girls usually look hot/unique

halfer guys look weak/timid lol
Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #2209
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

http://virtualtours.northstudio.com/...ouver%20Riots/

360 video from within the riots. I don't know how they did this but good job!
Old 06-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #2210
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
http://virtualtours.northstudio.com/...ouver%20Riots/

360 video from within the riots. I don't know how they did this but good job!
the waldo guy was fun, brings back my memory
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #2211
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
heres a couple fights from the riot i dont think ive seen in this thread

RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #2212
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
im gonna get failed for this but am i the only one that thinks VPD handled it perfectly fine?

I mean sure they could've used more force and tazed or shot rubber bullets at people but the VPD already has such a bad rep that it would probably only create lawsuits against the VPD. I say good job VPD, only property was damaged and no one was killed or seriously injured (that i know of).

I can guarantee, if they used even a bit more force, it would probably turn into "vancouver police assault people all the time" bullshit

Think about it this way. Judging by the sheer amount of people that ignored the riot act (that includes our own RS members; you heard them too), there was just too many people that was not part of the riot that stayed as part of the crowd to either document or to live in the moment. Imagine if police used water hose on everyone as many have suggested; how many of you would have damaged equipment- phones, cameras, that would not be happy with the VPD. Shooting rubber bullets or rushing into the crowd with the riot police? Nah, a lot more would be angry at the police and might not even want to turn in the evidence they collected. The police did the absolute right thing this time, and only because of how technology evolved. They were calm in not aggravating the majority of the crowd, and then collect and use the information by the public afterwards for prosecution.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #2213
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKwyyQzabxc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZNRznFXqE
nice video, this brown guy watches a lot of UFC .. haha
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #2214
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
nice video, this brown guy watches a lot of Bieksa .. haha
fix'd

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #2215
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
im gonna get failed for this but am i the only one that thinks VPD handled it perfectly fine?

I mean sure they could've used more force and tazed or shot rubber bullets at people but the VPD already has such a bad rep that it would probably only create lawsuits against the VPD. I say good job VPD, only property was damaged and no one was killed or seriously injured (that i know of).

I can guarantee, if they used even a bit more force, it would probably turn into "vancouver police assault people all the time" bullshit
The VPD themselves did a great job, considering the situation they were put it. The problem is, the PLAN ITSELF was horrible, and they were put into a shitty situation. Like I said a few pages back, they needed to have a HUGE presence during the game, and should have been EVERYWHERE to encourage people to go home. Make arrests on every little incident, before it escalates, and it probably would have gone a bit smoother.

The Chief said things went well because the riot only lasted 3 hours.

If that's really what they considered a success, then Vancouver was fucked to begin with.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #2216

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
While that would be ideal, the G20 is a little different as the security budget was handled on a Federal level and each country's heads of states also brought in their own security details as well. The VPD should've anticipated the situation better but even if they had, the VPD had no resources as City Hall and our Mayor wouldn't approve the extra budget and finances for the necessary resources.

On a daily basis, the VPD is already really short on budget to hire the necessary number of officers for our growing city. Someone early in this thread posted an article showing how under financed the VPD is not having enough vehicles for it's existing officers that they had to use taxis and their own personal vehicles to perform police work.

Update from VPD

http://vpdreleases.icontext.com/2011...on-fact-sheet/
Quote:
Charges

A total of 117 people have been arrested for a variety of offences, including breach of the peace, public intoxication, breach of probation, assault, mischief, theft, possession of stolen property and obstructing a peace officer.

Many charges are pending, however, formal charges have been recommended in the following cases:

Twenty year-old Edgar Ricardo Garcia of Burnaby is charged with aggravated assault stemming from an incident where two men were stabbed in the 700 block of Hornby Street on June 15.
Twenty-seven year-old Joshua Lyle Evans of Calgary is charged with possessing a weapon dangerous to the public peace. This stems from the same incident in the 700 block of Hornby Street.
A 21 year old man from Ladner with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participation in a riot. He is alleged to have broken a rear tail light and rear window of a green pick-up truck parked in the 300 block of West Georgia Street.
A 19 year old man from Surrey, with no previous criminal convictions, is facing charges of break and enter, theft and participation in a riot, stemming from an incident in the 700 block of West Georgia Street. It is alleged that he entered the Hudson’s Bay Company and stole a Coach purse.
A 17 year old youth from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of participation in a riot and of arson for allegedly lighting a police car on fire in the 100 block of West Georgia.
An 18 year old man from Delta with no previous criminal convictions is facing a charge of mischief and participating in a riot for allegedly kicking a hole through the window of the Budget Rental Car office located in the 400 block of West Georgia.
A 20 year old man from Maple Ridge with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of mischief and participating in a riot after allegedly breaking a window of the Bank of Montreal located at Homer and West Georgia.
A 22 year old man from Burnaby, with no previous criminal convictions is facing charges of assaulting a peace officer, break and enter, mischief and participation in a riot stemming from an incident at Library Square where he allegedly threw a water bottle at the police, broke a window and then entered a building.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #2217
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
The VPD themselves did a great job, considering the situation they were put it. The problem is, the PLAN ITSELF was horrible, and they were put into a shitty situation. Like I said a few pages back, they needed to have a HUGE presence during the game, and should have been EVERYWHERE to encourage people to go home. Make arrests on every little incident, before it escalates, and it probably would have gone a bit smoother.

The Chief said things went well because the riot only lasted 3 hours.

If that's really what they considered a success, then Vancouver was fucked to begin with.
You can blame the mayor for this one.. tree hugger robertson would rather spend money on hippy bike lanes than to protect the actual city from this type of shit.

A caller on the team 1040 the next day said his neighbour is VPD. His neighbour got home at 5am the day after being a part of the riot control and admitted they were way understaff due to one reason: The VPD requested permission to have more officers work game 7 (or maybe even the whole final run) but they were DENIED BY ROBERTSON due to budget reasons.

So the VPD did what they could with what they had. Instead of having enough officer presence during the whole event, they had to bring in cops from all over the lower mainland when it was already too late. I hate how the VPD basically have been biting their tongue, covering for the Happy Planet loser, Robertson.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #2218
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So EIGHT of the 100+ weren't from Vancouver.. doesn't show much... People from vancouver have to stop being so ignorant that there were a ton of people that were involved in the riot were vancouverites as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #2219

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
So EIGHT of the 100+ weren't from Vancouver.. doesn't show much... People from vancouver have to stop being so ignorant that there were a ton of people that were involved in the riot were vancouverites as well.
8 of the 8 formally charged are not from Vancouver... we'll see where the rest of the 100+ come from, I guess. Obviously not everyone is from the suburbs.

I just thought it was an interesting observation, that's all.. not saying much about it
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #2220
RS Veteran

i think when most people say they are from "vancouver" they mean metro vancouver, which means every township/city that is listed in the 8 that were formally charged...
Old 06-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #2221
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by $_$ View Post
Think about it this way. Judging by the sheer amount of people that ignored the riot act (that includes our own RS members; you heard them too), there was just too many people that was not part of the riot that stayed as part of the crowd to either document or to live in the moment. Imagine if police used water hose on everyone as many have suggested; how many of you would have damaged equipment- phones, cameras, that would not be happy with the VPD. Shooting rubber bullets or rushing into the crowd with the riot police? Nah, a lot more would be angry at the police and might not even want to turn in the evidence they collected. The police did the absolute right thing this time, and only because of how technology evolved. They were calm in not aggravating the majority of the crowd, and then collect and use the information by the public afterwards for prosecution.
There should have been more officers including undercover ones in the crowd when the game began. There was no excuse for them not being there. They didn't need to do shit. Their presence alone would have been enough.Failing to do that alone is an F minus.

For the tiny little force they have after shits already went down, they did an ok job I give it that. Doesn't really matter though. Downtown Vancouver was doomed before the game was even began.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #2222
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcZNRznFXqE
Hahaha you see the brown kid in the Sedin shirt get socked in the back of the head in this vid!! The pic sequence was a few pages back.
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #2223
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
There should have been more officers including undercover ones in the crowd when the game began. There was no excuse for them not being there. They didn't need to do shit. Their presence alone would have been enough.Failing to do that alone is an F minus.

For the tiny little force they have after shits already went down, they did an ok job I give it that. Doesn't really matter though. Downtown Vancouver was doomed before the game was even began.
Did you not read my post just above?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #2224
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBoy View Post
Hahaha you see the brown kid in the Sedin shirt get socked in the back of the head in this vid!! The pic sequence was a few pages back.
LOL, I mentioned the same sequence you're talking about a few pages back. I can't stop laughing every time I watch that clip, haha.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #2225
I am grateful grapefruit

Reports say there was an estimated 400-500 officers downtown. But experts have said, even if there were 1000 officers downtown - with a crowd size of 100'000 - if things suddenly go sout (like it did that night), 1000 officers would not have been enough to quiet it down quickly. They would still have had to redeploy (like they did) in riot gear. Having 1000 officers already in riot gear within a giant crowd like that would just be asking for trouble.

People don't understand what it's like for the police to try to handle a massive riot. Going up against the few who are causing the most amount of damage is useless. All you will do is just rile up the crowd, causing more violence and more agitated rioters. lets say you have 100 cops deployed together, but you're going against 1000 rioters - you will definitely be overwhelmed very, very quickly.

It's almost like a battle - they disperse the crowd, so they get put into smaller crowds, where hopefully, people disperse. You can't just right away say, "they lit that car on fire, we need to stop that right now", but there are thousands of people surrounding it, watching it.