REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #2451
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA View Post
I must say that I feel A LITTLE bad for her for the amount of shaming she's brought onto herself and her family/friends. Who knew a couple pairs of jeans could ruin someone's life like this... I'm not sure how she's going to cope with this (changing her name, moving, etc etc), but this will stay with her for a LONG, LONG time.

The only negative that will come out of this is for those other morons that looted and destroyed our city but weren't caught, to look at this whole thing as a big joke and feel that they are invincible. Those are the ones that will keep being the shit stains of society and will eventually do stupid shit again when the opportunities arise.

I hope that the VPD will continue to track down, arrest, and charge as many of these idiots as they can, so that people out there will know that there are consequences to their actions and will think twice before "losing it in the moment" again.
shes not the worst one for sure, but they need to make an example out of people who do get caught in order to curb the same behavior if theres a next time.
Advertisement
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #2452
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
I understand that people are pissed off, but I don't think someone should be fired for an offence if it is unrelated to their job or job performance, ESPECIALLY if they have not even been convicted for said offence.
True. Though keep in mind that police agencies hardly do criminal record checks (charges and convictions) anymore; they do POLICE record checks. A police record check is much broader in scope and captures all NEGATIVE police contact you've had regardless of whether you were convicted or even charged.

In fact, it's probably in this girl's interest to, at the very least, get charged. There are means to overcome a charge and/or conviction (destruction of criminal records, pardon, etc.). These essentially wipe the slate clean. However, there is no easy recourse if she remains a SUSPECT or a SUSPECT CHARGEABLE. That will show up on every police record check.

So for her, working in retail (as the receptionist, I assume she'd have the opportunity to collect payments for service/repairs), a charge/conviction (or being suspected) of theft or a break&enter/trespass would definitely negatively affect her and her job prospects.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)

Last edited by seakrait; 06-23-2011 at 09:25 AM.
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM   #2453
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts

sauce

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...s-vs-last-year
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #2454
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki View Post
Please thank me when the function is back!

I'm a thank-whore.
ahhaha i thanked you only because you took the time to ask
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #2455
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
generally, asking for thanks on RS brings on a fail storm
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #2456
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
^I agree with him. Lynch mobs are not good. We are bypassing that you are innocent unless proven in a court of law.

I mean, I love that these idiots are getting busted. But I'm a staunch believer in protecting our civil rights.

I mean look at that jason li kid. He became a target of RS'ers wrath.

Instead of him having the chance to come out and appologize look at him now, expelled on last day of school, he can't graduate will probably never get a job again. And this was before criminal charges were pressed.

We are breeding worse citizens by putting him in these positions and not giving them the proper chance to rehabilitate.

just my 2 cents.
If Jason Li didn't do what he did, let alone have that stupid picture taken, then he wouldn't be feeling as much wrath as he is feeling now. He has a chance to apologize, but that won't change anything. Take a look at Camille Cacnio, apology done - still feeling the wrath of her actions. Sometimes apologies aren't enough to redeem your actions and a prime example are these people responsible for the riots.

Civil rights is great. However, each citizen has a responsibility to society and I'm sure one of them isn't to destroy shit when a hockey team loses. Therefore, he deserves all the heat that he is getting and so does every person who is pointed out in these riots.

Rehabilitation...he can go through that process at this time as he is feeling the heat. The amount of pressure that the city is putting on these people is perfect because they will now realize that they can never pull off shit like this again. If us citizens did nothing, they would give a lame apology and all would be good. Luckily we aren't lazy and many of us believe that justice still needs to be served. You probably have a different view on this but he needs to receive this punishment in order to rehabilitate CORRECTLY for a better result down the long run.

Summary - Jason Li deserves everything that he is getting and so does every rioter found responsible for damage. He doesn't deserve to graduate and move on to the next step of society without repercussions. No excuses, no exceptions.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #2457
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
generally, asking for thanks on RS brings on a fail storm
I am being nice today....I can't tell other people on here what not to do
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #2458
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
We are breeding worse citizens by putting him in these positions and not giving them the proper chance to rehabilitate.
We are setting an example for the next would be rioters, thus preventing this from happening again. Next time people will know they will face more than just the repercussions of the court, they will be publicly shamed in a manner that affects their schooling, work, hobbies, family, ...

I am all for throwing a few dogs to the wolves to prevent this from ever happening again.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #2459
Need to Seek Professional Help

LOL @ those air gun.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #2460
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Maybe! It's what my manager told me. Thats why I said maybe.
You got name dropped in today's 24. Something about a guy getting his shins smashed in near Caprice and you driving him to the hospital.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #2461
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
We are setting an example for the next would be rioters, thus preventing this from happening again. Next time people will know they will face more than just the repercussions of the court, they will be publicly shamed in a manner that affects their schooling, work, hobbies, family, ...

I am all for throwing a few dogs to the wolves to prevent this from ever happening again.
yup, pretty much.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #2462
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
If Jason Li didn't do what he did, let alone have that stupid picture taken, then he wouldn't be feeling as much wrath as he is feeling now. He has a chance to apologize, but that won't change anything. Take a look at Camille Cacnio, apology done - still feeling the wrath of her actions. Sometimes apologies aren't enough to redeem your actions and a prime example are these people responsible for the riots.

Civil rights is great. However, each citizen has a responsibility to society and I'm sure one of them isn't to destroy shit when a hockey team loses. Therefore, he deserves all the heat that he is getting and so does every person who is pointed out in these riots.

Rehabilitation...he can go through that process at this time as he is feeling the heat. The amount of pressure that the city is putting on these people is perfect because they will now realize that they can never pull off shit like this again. If us citizens did nothing, they would give a lame apology and all would be good. Luckily we aren't lazy and many of us believe that justice still needs to be served. You probably have a different view on this but he needs to receive this punishment in order to rehabilitate CORRECTLY for a better result down the long run.

Summary - Jason Li deserves everything that he is getting and so does every rioter found responsible for damage. He doesn't deserve to graduate and move on to the next step of society without repercussions. No excuses, no exceptions.
she's feeling the wrath because of everything she typed outside of her apology. had she ended her blog post with the first section, she might have been okay.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #2463
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
yup, pretty much.
More than "pretty much" - this is the ENTIRE point.

Society is sick of watching the legal system from the outside and feeling helpless when they see people walk away from the rules (written or not) that keep us all civilized. This is a golden chance for EVERYONE to be involved, regardless of what the anemic court system does, and everyone is jumping on the chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #2464
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
someone i was talking to indicated that you cannot legally change your name once you have a criminal record. is there any truth to this statement?
you can change you name, however the police will still have you listed as "AKA so-and-so" no matter what, you cant escape.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #2465
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
those kids were talking real loud going "my civic right here got vtec si yo, it'll smoke ur celica." his buddy responds "well yeah once i learn how to drive manual ur done."

fucking gold.
he did NOT say that.....
HansonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #2466
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

speaking of setting examples for future potential riots.

Quote:
Anti-Olympic rioters who smashed windows in downtown Vancouver during the 2010 Winter Games have mostly walked out of B.C. courts without so much as a slap on the wrist.

Only a handful of the violent protesters were charged 16 months ago and even the accused ringleader has since escaped court-imposed punishment.
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/124304694.html
Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #2467
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
I understand that people are pissed off, but I don't think someone should be fired for an offence if it is unrelated to their job or job performance, ESPECIALLY if they have not even been convicted for said offence.
but wouldn't that type of behavior be related to her job performance as in her ability to behave like a professional ? like how can you count on this person if shes doing shit like that? she represents your company image to everyone she comes in contact with. I think that is a legit reason to fire someone but then again that is just my opinion.
GrapeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #2468
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgman View Post
speaking of setting examples for future potential riots.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/124304694.html
I'm eagerly awaiting Captain Christie Clark's promised throwing of books at people.

What are you gonna do? A-if the law isn't in place when the crime is committed, its a little hard to punish them with it. B-you can't get blood from a stone. These kids are mostly 17-22 ish from what I see, except for some of the drunk older fucks playing along. At best, you might get a few checks from mommy and daddy from some. Most will go uncollected-if! if! you can pass burden of proof in court.

This civil litigation that London Drugs is talking about will cost more than re-couped by a long shot.

Ultimately, 2 things will come:

1-the people caught on camera will have justice served right here through being outed on the internet. How many have lost their jobs/scholarships and such thus far?

2-we'll learn next time not to invite 150,000 drunk people downtown for a hockey game. Oh, and for the next 15 years, we'll slowly start easing the reins on public events. Guaranteed we'll be armed to the tits for fireworks(if that even happens-you never know with them. )
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #2469
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrapeDrink View Post
but wouldn't that type of behavior be related to her job performance as in her ability to behave like a professional ? like how can you count on this person if shes doing shit like that? she represents your company image to everyone she comes in contact with. I think that is a legit reason to fire someone but then again that is just my opinion.
Not if there is no history of that type of behaviour AT WORK.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #2470
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting Captain Christie Clark's promised throwing of books at people.

What are you gonna do? A-if the law isn't in place when the crime is committed, its a little hard to punish them with it. B-you can't get blood from a stone. These kids are mostly 17-22 ish from what I see, except for some of the drunk older fucks playing along. At best, you might get a few checks from mommy and daddy from some. Most will go uncollected-if! if! you can pass burden of proof in court.

This civil litigation that London Drugs is talking about will cost more than re-couped by a long shot.

Ultimately, 2 things will come:

1-the people caught on camera will have justice served right here through being outed on the internet. How many have lost their jobs/scholarships and such thus far?

2-we'll learn next time not to invite 150,000 drunk people downtown for a hockey game. Oh, and for the next 15 years, we'll slowly start easing the reins on public events. Guaranteed we'll be armed to the tits for fireworks(if that even happens-you never know with them. )
Yea, I stated a few pages back I'm not too concerned what happens in court. There's video and footage on the Internet linked to these peoples names that will forever haunt them. To me, that's much better than any type of imprisonment. Anything handed down by court of law will just be the cherry on the top.

Hopefully it's a big cherry though, as I still believe they should get punished.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #2471
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
whats the story behind the guns n roses riot?
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #2472
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansterdam View Post
whats the story behind the guns n roses riot?

Police used their guns on rioters and laid roses on their caskets.

Back in 2002, Guns & Roses canceled their concert 10 minutes after it was supposed to start and people weren't happy.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #2473
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I had no issue with how the police officers dealt with the rioters during the Guns n Roses concert. Many of my friends were ushers at GM Place and when the crowd starts throwing steel barricades at the windows, how do you expect the police to react?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #2474
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Not if there is no history of that type of behaviour AT WORK.
but honestly, business is just business. I'd like to think I'd take the high road and stay loyal to my employees - but if all she was to me was a receptionist, and I would receive TONS of bad press because everybody is calling to have her fired, I think I would just tell her, thanks, but maybe you should go find another job.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #2475
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Wow fuck the riot and everyone involved. TDF has been cancelled from the Pacific Colosseum and moved to Gossip.... and Shogun dropped out. And an official statement saying that the city didn't grant extended hours for TDF due to the cup riots.

Fuck. You.
http://i.imgur.com/98sur.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/kL24e.jpg - http://i.imgur.com/bo5jk.jpg
Joreus is offline   Reply With Quote