REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #1
I don't get it

Selling car

I'm looking to sell my 2003 Subaru. I'm hoping to get a few good tips on selling , what to prepare and how to prevent test-pilots and stuff like that. I have yet to throw my car up on Craigslist and stuff yet because I still need to take pictures. A question is my hood has a noticeable key scratch that i didn't get it repainted. Is there someway to fix it without having to pay icbc $300 deductible for repaint which I have already done once. Also what sort of payment should I only accept and what kind of paper work do I have to fill out in order to ensure my payment is legit received and safe?
Advertisement
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
-Well you kind of have to let the guy drive the car, just sit in the passenger seat next to him. Take a deposit if your really worried about him screwing something up.
-You could post it saying "$300 off final price for repair of scratched hood"
and finally..
-Accept either CASH or meet him at his/your bank for a money transfer or legitimate bank draft.

If it's a big amount of cash, bring a friend to make sure you don't get robbed...?
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Hopeless Romantic

^ Pretty much sums it up for the most part.

Test drives are completely at your discretion. It's your car, if you don't feel comfortable letting someone else drive it because they don't seem entirely interested then you take them for a test drive. But you've almost got to let some people buyer, especially any future prospective owner.

In terms of repainting your hood, it doesn't get that much cheaper than paying out your deductible if you're looking for anything of quality. As mello stated you might as well just take it into consideration when deciding on a price, or adjust your price higher than what you're looking for in order to compensate for lowballers etc.

You shouldn't have to fill out any paperwork with regards to the transfer of money. You only have to fill out the paperwork at the autoplan to transfer the title. You can accept cash, but I probably wouldn't considering you're probably looking for a decent sum of money. A money order/bank draft is your safest and most legitimate method of payment aside from directly transferring funds. Make sure you're name is spelled correctly as it appears on your ID.

Good luck with your sale

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Wat type of Subaru is it? My friend might be interested.
Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post
^ Pretty much sums it up for the most part.

Test drives are completely at your discretion. It's your car, if you don't feel comfortable letting someone else drive it because they don't seem entirely interested then you take them for a test drive. But you've almost got to let some people buyer, especially any future prospective owner.

In terms of repainting your hood, it doesn't get that much cheaper than paying out your deductible if you're looking for anything of quality. As mello stated you might as well just take it into consideration when deciding on a price, or adjust your price higher than what you're looking for in order to compensate for lowballers etc.

So do I drive to my insurance broker with him to fill up forms there to transfer titles after payment has received ?

You shouldn't have to fill out any paperwork with regards to the transfer of money. You only have to fill out the paperwork at the autoplan to transfer the title. You can accept cash, but I probably wouldn't considering you're probably looking for a decent sum of money. A money order/bank draft is your safest and most legitimate method of payment aside from directly transferring funds. Make sure you're name is spelled correctly as it appears on your ID.

Good luck with your sale
Posted via RS Mobile
Stormspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
like others have stated....

most of the time, you would go with the buyer to his bank of choice first, either transfer the fund or watch him make the bank draft. with the bank draft in hand, than you would go with him to any autoplan broker to transfer the title

as for test pilots... most of the time, I would drive and let them be a passenger the first time, "no one" or "very unlikely" are going to put down a "deposit" or "i would take it" on the first time seeing the car, if the buyer is interested he would come to you a second time, its the peopel that comes for the end time that i am willing to let them drive the car, it shows they are interested enough to go out of their way .. kinda

sry for my bad grammer LOL.. good luck with sale!!

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Here's a top gear top tip for you: If you sell it on this site, prepare to get lowballed.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: