REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #25001
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
We need a shake up; I'm shaving.
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #25002

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Top line players must step up in game 3. Where is the beast mode in the captain???

Henrik has to show up and shoot more pucks to the net. -stay inside the high traffic areas. He needs to make life miserable for Quick instead of being the playmaker. If Daniel isn't there to play the cycle with him, he has to find ways to generate more offense himself and with his linemates.
You want Henrik to get into high-traffic areas and make life miserable for someone?...

This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #25003
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
well time for F1 Qualifying hopefully i wont be disappointed there either :/
Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #25004
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Well, we're not saying that the problems is just limited to goaltending. All it is, is just one of the discussions of things within the team that needs to be addressed.

I think the reason why the PP issue is not as vocal as it is, is because it's not really controversial as the fanbase is in unison. United as, we all were already pissed that latter half of the reg. season, our PP is failing to generate, moreso now that it's not just failing to give us goals, but it's also giving us goals against.

I don't imagine 1 fan disagreeing with the state of our powerplay. The goaltending issue however, is a bit tricky as it's not just really "cut-and-dry." ... so really there's more to discuss
I don't feel that the outcome would be any different if we had Schneider in net instead of Luongo for games 1/2.. The only reason I see putting Schneider in is to "change things up" and give the team a bit of a lift...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #25005
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
well time for F1 Qualifying hopefully i wont be disappointed there either :/
Yeah..only upside..hope Button doesn't get P5 or something bad like that
Old 04-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #25006

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobulaus View Post
I don't feel that the outcome would be any different if we had Schneider in net instead of Luongo for games 1/2.. The only reason I see putting Schneider in is to "change things up" and give the team a bit of a lift...

You don't think the team has often played a lot better in front of Schneider than Luongo?? Again, nobody is stating that Schneider would necessarily play better than Luongo....It's the guys in front....
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #25007
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
It's the right time to play CS on Sunday, you can't put Schneider out there when it's 0-3 in the series
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #25008
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Kassian has rode the pine for the most part in the series so far.

There was mention that Reinprecht could be called in during the playoffs. Could that factor in now?

Also, being able to start Schneider is a luxury we can afford. He is at worst as good as Luongo. You could never say that before. And as mentioned, the team does seem to play better with him in net during the last half of the season.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #25009
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Goaltending is not the problem IMO. We NEED to be better on the powerplay... The officiating hasn't been in our favor but we've had plenty of chances on the PP.. Don't give up a short handed goal at the very least...

And great we had 2 goals today... but from Hansen and Pahlsson? Top 2 lines need to step up... And yes I agree that Edler/Hamhuis need to be much more reliable...

If we have been capitalizing on the powerplays this series could easily be 1-1 or 2-0 in our favor (even though we've been playing like shit)...
It can't just be the powerplay. It is so far gone, how can you fix it? Aside from the Oilers (let's not count them because... well it's the Oilers) they haven't scored a PP in like 30 games. If you look back I think it goes 2 PPGs in 50 games.... It's beyond brutal, so forget about it. Especially against the Kings PK
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #25010

Sutter just knows how to really shut down the canucks, making it a very tough series

thinking about it now, we shud have tanked it against the oilers LOLOLOL

no reply...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #25011
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
I'm clearly a Schneider fan, but I`ll be honest. I don't think so either

But at as a wild card, I'm gambling that he'll upstage Luongo, but that's all it is, a gamble; and I'm hedging that Schneider really was never a bad bet to begin with.

To be honest, playing a goalie like Quick in a series, it's going to take equal or near perfect goaltending for us to come out alive on this one. I don't really care which of our goaltenders we get it from. I just want it from someone and the last two games, Lu although far from shitting the bed, still was giving up 1 weak ones.

Judging from what LA and Quick has been showing thus far, it's a bit scary as to what level of goaltending that's going to take to steal this series back in our favour.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #25012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 View Post
Sutter just knows how to really shut down the canucks, making it a very tough series

thinking about it now, we shud have tanked it against the oilers LOLOLOL
Tanking against the Oilers wouldn't have been strategy since the 7th and 8th seeds were decided AFTER that game; and nobody thought that LA would've lost back-to-back games against San Jose to finish the season.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #25013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
Tanking against the Oilers wouldn't have been strategy since the 7th and 8th seeds were decided AFTER that game; and nobody thought that LA would've lost back-to-back games against San Jose to finish the season.
of course

That's why i said "thinking about it now"

no reply...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #25014
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #25015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It can't just be the powerplay. It is so far gone, how can you fix it? Aside from the Oilers (let's not count them because... well it's the Oilers) they haven't scored a PP in like 30 games. If you look back I think it goes 2 PPGs in 50 games.... It's beyond brutal, so forget about it. Especially against the Kings PK
It's not just the powerplay... But IMO the Canucks are a good enough team that even though they have been playing like crap, they could still be winning games.....

Think about if we scored 1 PP goal in game 1 (despite of spending the entire 2nd period on the PK) and scored a PP goal instead of letting in one today.. The series could look a lot different...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #25016

Putting goaltending aside from the moment, I think one of the most painful thing to watch in the last 2 games is our inability to play with possession.

It's wierd seeing a bunch of President's Trophy calibre pros that can't seem to make and/or catch a pass. Each pass just ends up being a turnover. I know it's so arrogant to say it, but watching the lack of connection on what's supposed to be easy passess is like watching low div hockey. It's also what's stunting our breakout too I believe. In fact, there were a few situations that even on the PP, our possession trying to gain the blue line was so scrambly.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #25017
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
No NHL team had ever won a playoff series without scoring at least one power play goal. That is, until the Boston Bruins, who were 0-for-21 with the man advantage, beat the Montreal Canadiens in a memorable and dramatic seven-game series in the NHL's first round of the 2011 playoffs on Wednesday night in Boston.
Just as it did earlier in the series, it took overtime for the third-seeded Bruins to win the series-deciding game (by a score of 4-3) and ultimately pull off the unexpected and unprecedented in hockey history, overcoming an 0-2 series deficit to win a playoff series. And it beat its arch-rivals to do it!

Read more: 2011 Boston Bruins Playoff Run: One Monkey Off Its Back, One To Go - Blogcritics Sports
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #25018
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Simple..

Mike Richards/Carter along with Brown/Kopitar really stepped up
So Kesler and Booth stepped up..but that was kinda it.

I'll say this again. Daniel or not, that PP cant even break out properly, let alone set up the play. Offensively 5v5...many mistakes to be had.

What the fuck are those Edler drop passes in the Dzone.. FUCK
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #25019
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
plenty of fights in the stands...GG

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #25020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cressydrift View Post
No NHL team had ever won a playoff series without scoring at least one power play goal. That is, until the Boston Bruins, who were 0-for-21 with the man advantage, beat the Montreal Canadiens in a memorable and dramatic seven-game series in the NHL's first round of the 2011 playoffs on Wednesday night in Boston.
Just as it did earlier in the series, it took overtime for the third-seeded Bruins to win the series-deciding game (by a score of 4-3) and ultimately pull off the unexpected and unprecedented in hockey history, overcoming an 0-2 series deficit to win a playoff series. And it beat its arch-rivals to do it!

Read more: 2011 Boston Bruins Playoff Run: One Monkey Off Its Back, One To Go - Blogcritics Sports
Weren't we suppose to win the cup last year because Canada won the Olympics gold medal? Or was it this year because we won 2 consecutive president trophies?

Not that I don't want the Canucks to win... but its hard to believe these silly statistics..
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #25021

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballguy View Post
You don't think the team has often played a lot better in front of Schneider than Luongo?? Again, nobody is stating that Schneider would necessarily play better than Luongo....It's the guys in front....
You could be right..... It would be a psychological issue more than anything..
If I was a betting man I would guess Schneider starts on Sunday...

Either way, my point was that PP is something that could be worked on...
We were ranked #1 last season and something like #6 this year...
Old 04-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #25022
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
There was mention that Reinprecht could be called in during the playoffs. Could that factor in now?
Lawrence Gillman stated today that Reinprecht needs to clear re-entry waivers before he can play for the Canucks. Many had assumed that once playoffs start waivers don't exist which is not true.

Our skill game isn't really coming together right now, so we need to get into hard grinding game and winning the small puck battles (Higgins style) which I'm not sure we are a better team than LA at the grind game. The way LA's top players have played, their skill game is clearly a couple of steps above ours. So it's obviously a big uphill battle. Quick has played well, but there are strategies to beat him. He goes down really early, and challenges really aggressively. Get him moving side to side and that opens up a lot of net because of how far out he is, on scrums around the crease there is lots of space a bit higher up because of how low Quick plays. Our PP, when the drop pass is not getting picked off, is being pressured by LA's aggressive PK which is pushing our d-men closer to the blue line and creating separation from our plays down low. When we do get that point shot set up from so far away, there are too many body's and sticks in the shooting lane and that is assuming that we can even hit the net with the point shot.

Kesler had some great jump today but the downside the fruits of his labours were low percentage scoring chances. I thought Burrows played a great physical game, something i hadn't seen this much of from him in a while. I agree the right move is to start Schneider for game 3 for the sole reason of getting a response from the team and I'm a big Luongo fan. He's made every save he's expected to and then some IMO. What does AV do IF we win game 3 though? Does he have the balls to ride Schneider until he falters when Luongo has done everything in his power to keep playing? I have faith the players can still pull through, but I have much less faith in the coaching and scouting staff.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #25023

Quote:
Weren't we suppose to win the cup last year because Canada won the Olympics gold medal? Or was it this year because we won 2 consecutive president trophies?

Not that I don't want the Canucks to win... but its hard to believe these silly statistics..
He's just saying that it's possible...trying to be optimistic....There's no superstition or anything behind this...He's simply saying that it's still very possible to overcome this 2-game deficit, despite the fact that we've given away both games at home, and despite the fact that we have the shittiest powerplay I have ever seen...keep the hope alive...

Last edited by bballguy; 04-13-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #25024
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:

Uh, what?
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch
1989 FC
Old 04-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #25025

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthchilli View Post
What the fuck are those Edler drop passes in the Dzone.. FUCK
What do you mean "wtf?"

The D has been doing that the whole year for 2 season now. It's also why we had the most highly rated PP last season; it's our efficiency in gaining the blue with possession rather than throwing it in for a dump & chase.

The problem is (and this is even before the Play-Offs) is that the rest of the league has caught on to the play; and its kinda hard not to when last year we were the league's center of attention.

I wouldn't exactly blame Edler as the organized hockey culture has a wierd quirk. If you've ever played minors or juniors, if you deviate from the coach's playbook and start making your own individual plays, it's a quick way to start getting benched and into the doghouse (just look at our $4M defensemen, Ballard)

To be honest, I really blame the coaching staff. The PP setup, and the PP breakout has been neutralized more than 50 games ago; yet for some reason, we're still executing the same exact play every time to no effect. TBH, it's this kind of inability of Vigneault to make adjustments is what I find frustrating in him; sure he'll mix up the lines but what's the point. Its the exact same plays: the defenseman drop pass breakout... or on the PP, the Salo bomb setup.
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread