REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Hot Yoga (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648144-hot-yoga.html)

JSilver 06-21-2011 01:30 PM

Hot Yoga

Curious as to anyone here taking Hot Yoga classes? Thinking about incorporating Hot Yoga at least once a week, then maybe more as I get into it.

Any particular locations people found to have a good instructor at?

TheNewGirl 06-21-2011 01:38 PM

I used to go to the hot yoga studio in Coquitlam BUT it's definitely not for everyone. Do you do yoga already? I would not recommend it for a beginner but instead suggest taking some classes until you hit your limit and THEN switch to hot classes (cause you can get more bendy in a hot class).

RacePace 06-21-2011 01:48 PM

There are several variations of hot yoga. Bikram's being the more popular, yet tougher one. Places like Yyoga also offer their own variation. If you go with Yyoga you could try their other types of yoga as well.

In Vancouver, I'd recommend Bikram Vancouver, either their West end or Kits locations as their teachers rotate back and forth between the two. Kits is the bigger location though.

Just give it a try, most yoga places offer 2 weeks for $30 or something similar.

lucidgtr 06-21-2011 09:45 PM

hot yoga is a great way to become more flexible! i was so stiff before i tried it

JSilver 06-22-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7484948)
I used to go to the hot yoga studio in Coquitlam BUT it's definitely not for everyone. Do you do yoga already? I would not recommend it for a beginner but instead suggest taking some classes until you hit your limit and THEN switch to hot classes (cause you can get more bendy in a hot class).

I've done Hot Yoga a few times last year, but am currently doing Yoga at home from P90X. The first time I tried Hot Yoga was too intense, I literally almost passed out near the end of the session lol.

TheNewGirl 06-22-2011 10:16 AM

Yeah that's exactly what I mean.
You might find you get a better work out in a regular yoga class with out the heat. But if you're out this way and you want hot there's a Bikram's studio on Lougheed in Coquitlam by the Superstore that's pretty good. There's a fantastic non hot Yoga studio in Ioco (I can't remember it's name off hand).

If you're more Vancouver ward there's Yyoga as Evil there suggested.

Derek_N84 06-22-2011 02:23 PM

Yyoga is a great place to start, I personally find it better than Bikrams.

2 weeks for 30, mat, towel and mat cover provided for the 2 weeks too. Just make sure you bring your water.

Been doing hot yoga for 2 years now, great workout and you honestly feel great after.

RacePace 06-22-2011 02:26 PM

Oh yeah, Bikram Richmond has complimentary mat and towel every time you go. It's where I go, which is like once every few months these days.

Neva 06-23-2011 06:20 PM

last year I was looking for alternatives to get in shape and did a week stint doing bikram's and it was FANTASTIC.

I went everyday for a week and after that 1 week I noticed a huge increase in flexibility, muscle relaxation and just a huge increase in generally feeling good. The thought behind the heat is muscles work better warmed up.

Also various sports teams have been incorporating bikram's into their training schedules. Pretty much the reason I went and tried it out.

TRDood 06-23-2011 08:26 PM

My first yoga class was at Westcoast Hot Yoga in Yaletown. I was a total noob, wore sweat pants in a 40 degree room.

I can't do all the poses but it was fun. Good workout and the aftersore feels great.

Then I went to some place in gastown. Did flow and candlelight thing. Flow is much better. Those relaxation ones are a waste of time. It's like an orgy minus the sex.
Posted via RS Mobile

Alar 06-24-2011 12:10 AM

I'm on a yoga class schedule for rugby, and upon starting it at yyoga within two weeks I had already seen improvement in athletic performance. At yyoga the hot yoga classes are not too difficult at all and it is beginner friendly. Once you are comfortable with it you can try power yoga which is hot yoga but working on a lot of elevated poses.

hotjoint 06-24-2011 07:14 AM

Friend and I picked up this yoga promotion for $20 on groupon. 20 classes for $20. It's for birkim yoga at the place in surrey right behind the icbc in guildford. We've only been once since we bought the pass but it was fun. We have till august to use the other 19 classes :lol

blkgsr 06-24-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNewGirl (Post 7486021)
Yeah that's exactly what I mean.
You might find you get a better work out in a regular yoga class with out the heat. But if you're out this way and you want hot there's a Bikram's studio on Lougheed in Coquitlam by the Superstore that's pretty good. There's a fantastic non hot Yoga studio in Ioco (I can't remember it's name off hand).

If you're more Vancouver ward there's Yyoga as Evil there suggested.

The one at New Port is Kula Yoga

I've been to their location on Austin, my gf goes to both and likes them....some instructors she doesn't like though

JSilver 06-24-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 7487995)
My first yoga class was at Westcoast Hot Yoga in Yaletown. I was a total noob, wore sweat pants in a 40 degree room.

I can't do all the poses but it was fun. Good workout and the aftersore feels great.

Then I went to some place in gastown. Did flow and candlelight thing. Flow is much better. Those relaxation ones are a waste of time. It's like an orgy minus the sex.
Posted via RS Mobile

Yeap! That's the first one I've been to as well. Nice facility and the people who take the classes there were extremely helpful and social. I couldn't do half the stuff and the instructor knew. But he was helpful as well.

yomitameow 12-28-2011 03:54 PM

I go to the Bikram Yoga in Lansdowne Centre (Richmond). They have pretty flexible schedules and wide variety of coaches you can choose from in different time and lessons.

yomitameow 12-28-2011 03:54 PM

There's another one at Boundary + Kingsway as well. On the 2nd floor. I went to these two places for hot yoga.

RayBot 12-28-2011 10:55 PM

I'm content with the yoga at my gym (Steve Nash).

Pesonally, i hate doing yoga, but it helps me with my endurance training.....and theres a satisfactory amount of eye candy too.

I'm assuming hot yoga doesn't reduce boner visibility.

SumAznGuy 12-29-2011 07:31 AM

Hot yoga can increases and decrease boner visibility since all the girls are wearing next to nothing. That includes the hotties and fatties.

RayBot 12-29-2011 08:27 AM

First time (and only time) i ever did hot yoga was at an open house at Yyoga. Stood behind this horse of a woman.

Couldn't get the smell of gravy out of my system for days.

SumAznGuy 12-29-2011 09:43 AM

What's with you and fat girls?

RayBot 12-29-2011 03:33 PM

Whats with your wife and fat men?

Jermyzy 12-29-2011 03:45 PM

^ :lol