REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Hot Yoga

Curious as to anyone here taking Hot Yoga classes? Thinking about incorporating Hot Yoga at least once a week, then maybe more as I get into it.

Any particular locations people found to have a good instructor at?
Advertisement
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I used to go to the hot yoga studio in Coquitlam BUT it's definitely not for everyone. Do you do yoga already? I would not recommend it for a beginner but instead suggest taking some classes until you hit your limit and THEN switch to hot classes (cause you can get more bendy in a hot class).
Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
There are several variations of hot yoga. Bikram's being the more popular, yet tougher one. Places like Yyoga also offer their own variation. If you go with Yyoga you could try their other types of yoga as well.

In Vancouver, I'd recommend Bikram Vancouver, either their West end or Kits locations as their teachers rotate back and forth between the two. Kits is the bigger location though.

Just give it a try, most yoga places offer 2 weeks for $30 or something similar.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

hot yoga is a great way to become more flexible! i was so stiff before i tried it
lucidgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
I used to go to the hot yoga studio in Coquitlam BUT it's definitely not for everyone. Do you do yoga already? I would not recommend it for a beginner but instead suggest taking some classes until you hit your limit and THEN switch to hot classes (cause you can get more bendy in a hot class).
I've done Hot Yoga a few times last year, but am currently doing Yoga at home from P90X. The first time I tried Hot Yoga was too intense, I literally almost passed out near the end of the session lol.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Yeah that's exactly what I mean.
You might find you get a better work out in a regular yoga class with out the heat. But if you're out this way and you want hot there's a Bikram's studio on Lougheed in Coquitlam by the Superstore that's pretty good. There's a fantastic non hot Yoga studio in Ioco (I can't remember it's name off hand).

If you're more Vancouver ward there's Yyoga as Evil there suggested.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Yyoga is a great place to start, I personally find it better than Bikrams.

2 weeks for 30, mat, towel and mat cover provided for the 2 weeks too. Just make sure you bring your water.

Been doing hot yoga for 2 years now, great workout and you honestly feel great after.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Oh yeah, Bikram Richmond has complimentary mat and towel every time you go. It's where I go, which is like once every few months these days.
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

last year I was looking for alternatives to get in shape and did a week stint doing bikram's and it was FANTASTIC.

I went everyday for a week and after that 1 week I noticed a huge increase in flexibility, muscle relaxation and just a huge increase in generally feeling good. The thought behind the heat is muscles work better warmed up.

Also various sports teams have been incorporating bikram's into their training schedules. Pretty much the reason I went and tried it out.

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

My first yoga class was at Westcoast Hot Yoga in Yaletown. I was a total noob, wore sweat pants in a 40 degree room.

I can't do all the poses but it was fun. Good workout and the aftersore feels great.

Then I went to some place in gastown. Did flow and candlelight thing. Flow is much better. Those relaxation ones are a waste of time. It's like an orgy minus the sex.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
RS controls my life!

I'm on a yoga class schedule for rugby, and upon starting it at yyoga within two weeks I had already seen improvement in athletic performance. At yyoga the hot yoga classes are not too difficult at all and it is beginner friendly. Once you are comfortable with it you can try power yoga which is hot yoga but working on a lot of elevated poses.
Alar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 AM   #12
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Friend and I picked up this yoga promotion for $20 on groupon. 20 classes for $20. It's for birkim yoga at the place in surrey right behind the icbc in guildford. We've only been once since we bought the pass but it was fun. We have till august to use the other 19 classes
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Yeah that's exactly what I mean.
You might find you get a better work out in a regular yoga class with out the heat. But if you're out this way and you want hot there's a Bikram's studio on Lougheed in Coquitlam by the Superstore that's pretty good. There's a fantastic non hot Yoga studio in Ioco (I can't remember it's name off hand).

If you're more Vancouver ward there's Yyoga as Evil there suggested.
The one at New Port is Kula Yoga

I've been to their location on Austin, my gf goes to both and likes them....some instructors she doesn't like though
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
My first yoga class was at Westcoast Hot Yoga in Yaletown. I was a total noob, wore sweat pants in a 40 degree room.

I can't do all the poses but it was fun. Good workout and the aftersore feels great.

Then I went to some place in gastown. Did flow and candlelight thing. Flow is much better. Those relaxation ones are a waste of time. It's like an orgy minus the sex.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yeap! That's the first one I've been to as well. Nice facility and the people who take the classes there were extremely helpful and social. I couldn't do half the stuff and the instructor knew. But he was helpful as well.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #15
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I go to the Bikram Yoga in Lansdowne Centre (Richmond). They have pretty flexible schedules and wide variety of coaches you can choose from in different time and lessons.
yomitameow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

There's another one at Boundary + Kingsway as well. On the 2nd floor. I went to these two places for hot yoga.
yomitameow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

I'm content with the yoga at my gym (Steve Nash).

Pesonally, i hate doing yoga, but it helps me with my endurance training.....and theres a satisfactory amount of eye candy too.

I'm assuming hot yoga doesn't reduce boner visibility.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #18
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Hot yoga can increases and decrease boner visibility since all the girls are wearing next to nothing. That includes the hotties and fatties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #19

First time (and only time) i ever did hot yoga was at an open house at Yyoga. Stood behind this horse of a woman.

Couldn't get the smell of gravy out of my system for days.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #20
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
What's with you and fat girls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #21

Whats with your wife and fat men?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)