REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

What to use to fill in gaps in driveway?

I have a typical driveway with concrete slabs that have a gap between each slab. I've been fighting a losing battle with lots of weeds growing in the gaps. Every time I manage to kill and pull up the weeds, within a few weeks, there's a new batch. What can I use to fill in the gaps? I saw this at home depot

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ston...ic-sand/908089

I heard it's a pain to mix and doesn't work very well. Any suggestions??? Thanks!
Advertisement
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Are you manually plucking the weeds out? or using a chemical to kill them
If picking them out I suggest you use a chemical such as weed be gone to kill them, it's much more effective than picking them out one by one, and you don't get to the root so it grows back.

Also if your driveway is little pavers you can lift them up and lay down a fabric mesh that doesn't allow weeds through
This post thanked by:
Old 06-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

^Richmond doesn't allow the use of herbicides like roundup any more. We can only use the iron/vinegar based ones. Actually I just killed them by pouring boiling water on them, and then digging them out. Unfortunately, the driveway is made out of just 6 large concrete slabs, so I can't lift them up or anything. Previous owner had some small pieces of wood wedged into the gaps, but they were starting to rot and came out when I pulled up the weeds. Maybe I'll try putting some new wood in there

edit: anybody know if there is anything similar to this available in the lower mainland?

http://gaparmour.com/

Last edited by Jermyzy; 06-26-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
I don't get it

i want this also... any info?
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Just FYI, I ended up digging up all the weeds and pulling out all the wood that the previous owner had inserted into the gaps (was a huge pain in the ass to do this!!!) I was unable to pull out all the wood unfortunately, but ended up filling all the gaps and covering it up with Envirostone. Looks good, time will tell to see how effective it is in preventing weed growth

EnviroStone from Envirobond
Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

This is what I did in early summer:

Go to Superstore, buy a big jug of cheap white vinegar.
Buy spray bottle also.
Weaken the weed by pulling weed out as much as possible. Try to get root out.
Liberally spray the area in the crack around the weed with the vinegar

So far so good, weeds didn't grow back.

If your weeds grow back, try vinegar.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote