REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - Employee Safe Driving Policy

I was listening to the investigation of a driving complaint unfold the other day. A member of the public had complained about the way a business vehicle was being driven and the constable had asked the dispatcher to inquire about the driver with the business. "He's a pretty bad driver" the dispatcher relayed from the business owner, "he should probably get a ticket."

My first reaction on hearing this was if that's the case, why was the business owner allowing the employee to drive? He clearly knew that his employee was either lacking in driving skill or had personal difficulties with the driving rules. Why take the risk? The employer could be held liable both criminally and civilly if this employee were to cause a collision.

Anyone who employs a driver, large business or small, should have a safe driving policy in effect that employees must signify that they are aware of and are expected to adhere to at all times while operating a business vehicle, whether for work purposes or not. Further, this policy should be even more comprehensive if the employee uses their personal vehicle for work purposes.

A safe driving policy will protect the employee as well. It can spell out when a vehicle is unsafe for work, how it is to be reported, who is expected to repair it and when an employee may acceptably refuse to operate the vehicle.

Risk management is good business.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
When I worked at ICBC Head Office (1999/2000), it was amazing the number of employees' cubicles that had pictures of their cars posted... from their photo radar tickets. Seemed to be something of a badge of honor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Any employer that has doubts about their employee's driving should get an asessment done by a reputable driving school.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
When I worked at ICBC Head Office
That explains why you're such a staunch supporter of their so-called safety initiatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
it was amazing the number of employees' cubicles that had pictures of their cars posted... from their photo radar tickets. Seemed to be something of a badge of honor...
Let's not forget when the head of Road Safety, Mr. John Les lost his licence due to repeatedly doing what he kept saying was dangerous.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
That explains why you're such a staunch supporter of their so-called safety initiatives.
Actually, I was sub-contract IT support... but you go ahead and assume whatever makes you feel better.

And again, the only thing I support is anti-idiocy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Funny, I was just thinking this.. this past weekend... as many big trucks with single drivers in the HOV lane were passing the rest of us (going with the flow of traffic.. ha ha) on Highway 1.. many of those trucks bore the decals of the company that owns the truck..

I thought about calling the business and reporting the driver... but that would probably do about as much good as calling the police and reporting them.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #7
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Funny, I was just thinking this.. this past weekend... as many big trucks with single drivers in the HOV lane were passing the rest of us (going with the flow of traffic.. ha ha) on Highway 1.. many of those trucks bore the decals of the company that owns the truck..

I thought about calling the business and reporting the driver... but that would probably do about as much good as calling the police and reporting them.
haha, they'd probably commend the driver, because it meant they weren't just driving slowly to avoid work - they were trying to be more efficient!