REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 06-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

School full time or Work & part time school? Need some input

Hey guys just need some insight from maybe the Older crowd regarding this issue.

First off, usually I like to just think things over and figure it out, but im really having a tough time deciding what to do, So I thought I would make a thread. So I just turned 24, Im working full time and I really dont mind my job. Its not to bad as they have me working all over B.C, and I can really work at my own pace which is awesome. The Pay is alright (under 60 thou a year), but the thing is I really cant move up at all with the company. My Manager moved up to where he is and he only makes 1800.00$ every 2 weeks and hes like 40. I talk to tons of people on the job and it seems like all of the older I bump into (over 35) always tell me to go to school. Thing is I have don't know what I really want to take. I was sick of telling myself that so I applied in December for marketing Management at Okanagan College and I got accepted full-time.

So here's the real question, should I take advantage of being accepted and go for it full time and quit my job, or stick with my job and go to school part time? I have enough money to comfortably be able to live while going to school full time as well. I am really stuck cause i am getting older, but at the same time I have a pretty good job. Any comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Advertisement
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

First, I would consider why you are thinking about going to school. Ask yourself this: where do I want to be in 5 years time? Then ask whether or not you need to go to school to get you there. Many jobs don't require a 4-year degree program, so why do it if you don't have to. Going to school part-time or full time is trivial at this point in comparison to the much larger issue at hand--which is you not knowing exactly what you want to do. You are trying to find the route to an unknown destination, but you hope that this route will take you to a nice place.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Not sure if your trolling or something. You make around $60,000/year. Your manager makes $1800 every two weeks as you say. That's $3600/month, which is estimated around $43,000/year.

How do you make more than your manager?
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Not sure if your trolling or something. You make around $60,000/year. Your manager makes $1800 every two weeks as you say. That's $3600/month, which is estimated around $43,000/year.

I'm guessing thats around $1800 every two weeks after taxes, CCDP etc etc. It works out to around 60k/yr before taxes so I'm guessing his point is that even his manager makes only marginally more than him.

For me I believe that work experience beats going back to school unless its a very specialized course or program recognized in your field. Have you looked at other companies that may offer a better career path?
iamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudeChow View Post
First, I would consider why you are thinking about going to school. Ask yourself this: where do I want to be in 5 years time? Then ask whether or not you need to go to school to get you there. Many jobs don't require a 4-year degree program, so why do it if you don't have to. Going to school part-time or full time is trivial at this point in comparison to the much larger issue at hand--which is you not knowing exactly what you want to do. You are trying to find the route to an unknown destination, but you hope that this route will take you to a nice place.
qft!

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post

Hey man, no definitely not trolling just want some input. What I said was I make Less than 60k. I don't even know why I put 60, it should say less than 50k a year.

I know alot of you are saying "Well if you don't know what you want to do, then don't go to school", I think it should almost be the opposite. I think its so depressing meeting guys in there 40's or whatever working a job they dont really like, saying they still dont know what they want to do for a living. I have really been thinking a alot about this the last couple weeks and I think I might just want to take a couple night classes of 2 subject areas, Criminal justice, and some business classes.I rather have at least something to prove at the age of 40 then fuck all thinking to myself I should have gone to school.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Frankly, school nowadays carry very little pretige in itself if that's what you are after. The only "schools" that carry any recognition are schools that will make you a lot of money. Trust me, at the end of the day, you have nobody to prove anything to but yourself. So if you are gonna do anything, do it for yourself. Life is too short to do anything for anyone..lol....

With that said, I agree that taking night classes will be helpful to you. I would, however, not limit myself to merely only two subject areas. Use it as a tool to help you find some inspiration and motivation as it seems like its what you need most right now. You might just uncover a hidden passion. In this regard, I would recommend looking into SFU's NOW program. They offer plently of classes in a myriad of subjects that are tailored for the working adult.

Hope this helps.
JudeChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #8

Thanks JudeChow, couldnt agree more. Kind of a coincidence but Some guy on a another forum mentioned he went to school in his mid 20's, graduated and is now making 5k a year less than when he started + debts from school! Think the part time route is the best idea.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
what is it that you and your manager do exactly?

What kind of salary are you aiming for?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
what is it that you and your manager do exactly?

What kind of salary are you aiming for?
We sub contract for Telus. I would like to make as much as I can, but over 60 would be nice...150k would be also .