REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Is "The Keg" a higher end restaurant?

I was talking with some friends the other day about restaurants as we just went to Milestones for a friends birthday.

And we started to compare the bigger named restaurants. Like Milestones, Cactus Club, Earls, and The Keg. Out of these four, they said The Keg was probably the best and highest end out of the bunch. I never really realized this until they told me. What do you guys think. One of my friends said for the middle class The Keg is a pretty good restaurant to go to. I always thought the Keg was good as I never had a bad experience there, but I never gave it the credit it deserved.

So if this is the case, I asked them, if I took a girl on a date to The Keg would she know it is any better than Milestones or Cactus club? They said yes, she would know it's a pretty expensive and fancy dinner. But, i'm not sure if a girl would know the difference?

They said the ranking would most likely be from best to worst...
1) the keg
2) earls
3) cactus club/milestones

What do you guys think?
Advertisement
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Girls know everything

I'd lump Keg with all the others but to rank them The Keg would squeek out on top (barely) mostly because of what they serve, so there is a perceived higher end feeling. If they didn't make beef as their mainstay they would fall into the likes of Joey's.

Honestly if you're going for steak or prime rib, I would spend a couple bucks more and go to a place like Hy's instead. The Keg is pretty mediocre for beef.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

If your looking to take a girl to one of those restaurants take her to Cactus Club, it was voted the Best Restaurant to Flirt and Have Sex In by the Georgia Straight Golden Plate Readers Choice Awards in 2010.
beanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
The only reason The Keg stands out in peoples minds is because of the amount they charge. I fucking hate going there because it's way overpriced compared to the rest you mentioned. The service is NO better than anywhere else. The food is NO better than anywhere else and the PRICE is higher than all the rest. The last time I went there was a complete shit show. They brought 2 meals out, out of 4, and the other 2 10 minutes after the first ones were delivered. I complained and they offered us a "free drink"

I personally will never go to a Keg again.

Berz out.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
I personally like milestones. Everytime I go there great service. And my gf considers it fancier than the others
Posted via RS Mobile
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Earls and cactus club are just one step up from McDonald's IMO. I have never had bad food or service at the keg.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Earls and cactus club are just one step up from McDonald's IMO. I have never had bad food or service at the keg.
Your opinion is just as good as being a jackass with a bat up its ass.
sean_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

the keg is more of a family restaurant to me................
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
If you want to impress a girl then don't take her to a chain restaurant that everyone's been to countless times, instead read a few local food blogs and choose a restaurant appropriate for the occasion based on the reviews.

Especially don't take a girl to the keg early in a relationship, not everyone likes red meat.
Posted via RS Mobile
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_wong View Post
Your opinion is just as good as being a jackass with a bat up its ass.
But honestly who goes to the Cactus club for the food. Also isn't milestones the place that microwaves it's ribs?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
If you want to impress a girl then don't take her to a chain restaurant that everyone's been to countless times, instead read a few local food blogs and choose a restaurant appropriate for the occasion based on the reviews.

Especially don't take a girl to the keg early in a relationship, not everyone likes red meat.
Posted via RS Mobile
Then it's a perfect way to determine if she's a keeper or not... Don't like red meat?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
^

On a serious note, no, I would not say The Keg is a higher end restaurant, just a pricey one. There's a difference.

You're better off taking her to a tapas bar to see how she handles sharing. Or to some smaller niche place like Les Faux Bourgeoisie. If she's into food, take her to Grub. For me even, even for a normal dinner with friends, I do my damnedest to try to stay away from chains. I'm sure as hell not going to take a date there.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help

Keg, Milestones, Cactus, etc... in no way shape or form should be considered as high end restaurants.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
But honestly who goes to the Cactus club for the food. Also isn't milestones the place that microwaves it's ribs?
Which ribs are you talking about? Prime ribs? We don't microwave the prime rib at all... WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT?

Last edited by Santofu; 07-03-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #15
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The only reason The Keg stands out in peoples minds is because of the amount they charge. I fucking hate going there because it's way overpriced compared to the rest you mentioned. The service is NO better than anywhere else. The food is NO better than anywhere else and the PRICE is higher than all the rest. The last time I went there was a complete shit show. They brought 2 meals out, out of 4, and the other 2 10 minutes after the first ones were delivered. I complained and they offered us a "free drink"

I personally will never go to a Keg again.

Berz out.
that sounds like a highly unusual experience.
ive been to the keg dozens of times and to my memory ive never had bad service once.
in fact its normally head and shoulders above anything in its price range.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Those restaurants are all location dependent. Keg Granville Island or Keg Park Royal are shit aesthetically, and are to be avoided at all costs. Keg in Yaletown is new and reflects the 'new' Keg concept, i.e., sumptuous surroundings and lots of money wasted on silly luxury design elements used to trick us into thinking the food is similarly high-end.

Milestones above Whole Foods on Cambie is well-designed and new, and the one on Robson is bordering on gross, same goes for Earls, Cactus, etc.

I think they're all damn good for chains (American/British equivalents are far less delicious), and personally I am partial to Earls for almost all dishes, and the Keg for prime-rib (which I think is really good)! None, however, as high-end!
brokentelephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #17
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Has anyone tried the Keg in the states?

I agree that our chains > US chains. I am comparing keg/cc/ms/joeys/earls to red lobster/outback/olive garden/espn

BUT the food in the states is much, much cheaper. 14oz NY for $23USD at Outback vs. 10oz NY for $30 at Earls.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

It's all relative, compared to White Spot, yes, the Keg is higher end, but there are many other choices. I'm not sure how much more Hy's Encore is compared to the Keg (same chain) but they server far better food, and their cheese bread is quite good.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
I subscribe to Revscene

I don't think ppl go their for a causal meal
Keg does get expensive but the service is pretty phenomal

If it was a date I would say going to keg would mean way more than just going to cactus or milestones

Milestones the food ain't great imo
Posted via RS Mobile
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #20
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

High End ??

I would say The Keg is just mid class.

You want High End ? Try Gotham in Down Town
ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #21
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
^if you read the post, he asked if its "higher" end than the other restaurants he posted.
not high end on the absolute scale.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #22
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

the keg, high end? hell no! all the places you listed are mid level chain restaurants. not bad but not great or high end. imho much better steak can be had at a boutique restaurant and actually for less. also to me high end is going to be the $50+ price point for a main dish. keep in mind that you dont have to spend a lot for great food, service, atmosphere but you will do better the farther you stray from chains.
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I'd say of the places compared, The Keg would rank them. Personally, I love the keg. Prices ARE a tad high, but you also get good portion. Their Keg sized prime rib is so good.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #24
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
the keg, high end? hell no! all the places you listed are mid level chain restaurants. not bad but not great or high end. imho much better steak can be had at a boutique restaurant and actually for less. also to me high end is going to be the $50+ price point for a main dish. keep in mind that you dont have to spend a lot for great food, service, atmosphere but you will do better the farther you stray from chains.
Where are these places you speak of?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,413 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ime2006 View Post
High End ??

I would say The Keg is just mid class.

You want High End ? Try Gotham in Down Town
Gotham is a good $70+ per person. But god damn, that shit is good
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: