REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - Passing on the Right Revisited (https://www.revscene.net/forums/648954-drivesmartbc-passing-right-revisited.html)

skidmark 07-02-2011 07:24 PM

DriveSmartBC - Passing on the Right Revisited

I hope that an article about passing on the right might help at least some drivers understand the rules and help improve the driving community. I have made a point of keeping to the right side of the lane to try and prevent vehicles from passing. One day a driver fingered and yelled at me, yet the driver was attempting to do something illegal (even though many drivers perform this illegal act).

Give a driver enough room to go around something and he or she will do it rather than pause for a moment. It doesn't have to be much room, or sometimes even no room at all. I was once passed on the right by a monster truck that didn't have enough pavement so the driver used the sidewalk too.

How many times have you stopped for a stop sign, looked left, looked right and had another vehicle zoom past you on the right? Good thing you were turning left, isn't it? Now imagine if you were turning right and your signal light was burned out.

In general, British Columbia prohibits passing on the right. The obvious exception is when there is an unobstructed lane on the right of the vehicle being passed to use. Otherwise, for safety's sake, you wait your turn.

Reference Links

netfreak 07-03-2011 06:50 AM

Guy I know was taking his road test and a vehicle came up from behind and started passing on the right (on the shoulder.. not the lane). The instructor told him to catch up to the vehicle to get the license number. I'm thinking something bad happened to that driver (had an N too) :)

taylor192 07-04-2011 09:22 AM

Passing on the right happens all the time, look at how many 2 lane streets we have where if someone is turning left traffic would be at a standstill if people didn't veer around them. I think you should only get a ticket if you use the shoulder or sidewalk to get by... then again I am biased cause I have a motorcycle and can squeeze by those left-turners rather than be stuck in the long line of traffic behind.

Oleophobic 07-04-2011 11:47 AM

You can legally pass on the right if the person in front is making a left turn, regardless of whether there is a lane to the right or not.

Quote:

Passing on right

158 (1) The driver of a vehicle must not cause or permit the vehicle to overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle, except

(a) when the vehicle overtaken is making a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn,

(b) when on a laned roadway there is one or more than one unobstructed lane on the side of the roadway on which the driver is permitted to drive, or

(c) on a one way street or a highway on which traffic is restricted to one direction of movement, where the roadway is free from obstructions and is of sufficient width for 2 or more lanes of moving vehicles.

(2) Despite subsection (1), a driver of a vehicle must not cause the vehicle to overtake and pass another vehicle on the right

(a) when the movement cannot be made safely, or

(b) by driving the vehicle off the roadway.

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...xml#section158

Rich Sandor 07-04-2011 05:27 PM

^ EXACTLY

There is NO REASON to block traffic behind you if you are making a left turn.

Matlock 07-04-2011 05:46 PM

Am I allowed to pass on the right if the driver is making a left turn, but to do so I would have to drive over the painted bike lane?
Of course I would do it safely and look for cyclists.

zulutango 07-05-2011 06:22 AM

[QUOTE=T.T;7500051]You can legally pass on the right if the person in front is making a left turn, regardless of whether there is a lane to the right or not.

As long as you comply with these restrictions.

2) Despite subsection (1), a driver of a vehicle must not cause the vehicle to overtake and pass another vehicle on the right

(b) by driving the vehicle off the roadway. (ie...pass on the shoulder, over the fog line)

Glove 07-05-2011 07:34 AM

its impossible not to pass people on the right here in vancouver,

too many c-lais and idiots hogging the left lane going under the speed limit.

Police should enforce "keep right unless passing" law before they give out tickets for people passing on the right, its just not fair, the Semi's and hoggers dont care what lane their in.

In the states this isnt so much of a problem, I find a lot more people are in the right lane.

sebberry 07-05-2011 08:33 AM

I was waiting for the car in front of me to turn left at a small intersection and the driver behind me honked repeatedly and motioned for me to move around on the right. To do so I would have had to climb the curb. Some people just don't get it.

taylor192 07-05-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7500983)
As long as you comply with these restrictions.

2) Despite subsection (1), a driver of a vehicle must not cause the vehicle to overtake and pass another vehicle on the right

(b) by driving the vehicle off the roadway. (ie...pass on the shoulder, over the fog line)

158 3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a driver of a vehicle may cause the vehicle to overtake and pass another vehicle on the right

(a) when there are no police officers to witness

(b) when there is so much traffic it would be impossible for a police officer to get your plate or give chase

:D